So. The World of Darkness and Disease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
    Read the Prologue of the Syndicate convention book (revised)
    i dont currently have access to that book. can you sum up please?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Basically, a group of Progenitors "discovered the cure for Cancer" (used Magick to cure cancer), and they were planning to release their 100% effective methods trough mundane agents so it becomes part of the Consensus, but they were suspended by the Syndicate, because the project was deemed too optimistic for the current status quo of the world's population. In other words, the High Ups decided that it was too risky because it could lead to a massive Paradox Backlash if people in general were skeptical to the cure (which they deemed likely).

Magick can cure everything, but Paradox might not like it, especially if you do this at a big scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
        HIV is relatively fragile outside the living human body, so I imagine altering one's conditions to be as far from that as possible (say, hanging out in a meat locker so that one's internal body temperature was just above freezing for a few hours, or spending the night in a sauna) would do the trick. Smallpox, on the other hand, might be pretty difficult to get rid of...
        I just looked it up, cold doesn't do much to it and it takes temperatures of around 60C to kill it on the high end. Honestly, I think oxygen, alkalinity, and acidity are the most lethal to it so I'm not sure what dropping all vitae would do to change those. It can only survive for only 14 days in decomposing corpses (most likely due to pH changes) but Vampires specifically don't decompose.

So yeah, a night or two in a dry sauna might do the job. Not entirely sure what that would do to Vampire flesh, but it's unlikely to be anything that couldn't be healed with a few pints.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Oh, and wraiths, specters and risen are imune too 😁

Comment

The various supernaturals have ways of dealing with individual illnesses, even as Severe as Cancer. Vampires though likely have the most drawback what with their easiest solution being making you a ghoul or a vampire, unless you are a Methuselah with Obeah/Valeran.

Werewolves/Fera have the easiest time with this as they have lots of Gifts/Rites/Fetishes/Powers to deal with it, such as a Fetish stick which would allow you to literally beat the AIDS out of someone.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

If I remember correctly, first edition A World of Darkness for Vampire explicitly stated that in certain cases the Black Death could infect vampires and kill them. I believe it was in the section for the UK. So there is precedent for "ordinary" diseases to have some kind of supernatural component to kill things that disease shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                If I remember correctly, first edition A World of Darkness for Vampire explicitly stated that in certain cases the Black Death could infect vampires and kill them. I believe it was in the section for the UK. So there is precedent for "ordinary" diseases to have some kind of supernatural component to kill things that disease shouldn't.
                I usually chalk that up to early edition weirdness. I want to say one of the earlier Vampire books also said there was a strain of AIDS that could kill them as well. Which (obviously) likewise makes little sense.

Comment

Working...
                X