Chat based play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat based play?

Do any of you play in or know of cWoD Games that are played based on chat (not forum posts)?

Today the mood struck me to start cooking up a new Ananasi character but I have no idea where to play her. I realize there are forum based games but that style proved to be not really my thing while I have better experience with playing “more directly“ via chat. I havent played in english in ages but i think that will be fine as well if time differences can be sorted out. I live in germany.

If you're thinking of a chat in the vein of the old New Bremen chat, there's still a few around.

I'm not sure of any that are still operating that have active Fera games. Most are too small for anything beyond the core characters. The Conventions. Gatherings. and Online play forums has a couple in there. The Unmoderated chat is still active in some incarnation with the advantage of letting you play whatever you want, and the downside of everyone playing whatever they want.

There's a lot of people that use real-time chat platforms for more TT style play, but there isn't a great resource for finding those groups and joining them. I know someone here made a Facebook group dedicated to online play that might be a place to go looking for them.

Comment

Personally I prefer MUSHes/MUXes over pure chat based roleplay. Mostly because you get completely built and descriptive surroundings (and character descriptions), an established city setting, dice commands, interactive Character Generation, storyteller staff, characters in different Splat spheres (Including Fera) and a lot more. Although I can see the sandboxy appeal of a pure chat.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
      >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels

Comment

I've never tried the MUSH/MUX stuff I have to admit and I also dont know the New Bremen chat. I mostly played chat based within MMORPGs and sometimes, when there was something to play out that we couldnt find a suitable ingame location for we'd move it to skype (still only text based).
        Readily available surroundings might actually help (for example, I dont have any idea on where to locate that particular char yet). Any links I could check out maybe?

Comment

For WoD MUSHes?

Check http://mudstats.com/Genre/WorldofDarkness

Go for those that actually have somethingsomethingMUSH or MUX in the 'server type' column.

You'll also need a nice client. I suggest http://www.potatomushclient.com/ as it's available for the everything, and under active delopment.

And last but not least an (ancient but okay) tutorial of the basics:
          http://www.gammon.com.au/mush/mush.htm

Usually the MU*s have chat channels (think of them like, really, chat channels on MMORPGs just with less spam) where you can ask newbie questions, introduce yourself to the game and the like. Also these days MU*s have Wiki pages that help a LOT, unlike the old days

If you have any questions feel free to IM me here. And/Or share experiences right here!

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
          >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels

Comment

If you're looking for something of the New Bremen type chat:

http://www.immortalvigilance.net/index.php

They're probably the most readily accessible in terms of what that kind of chat is like. It's not that different from the MU* approach, though there's generally less integration into the chat program. There's more out there, but many of them have had to switch chat clients to things that aren't as friendly to people new to this particular style of it.

Comment

I feel old , but whats a MUSH?

also what the hell is a SPLAT?

Comment

Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
                I feel old , but whats a MUSH?

also what the hell is a SPLAT?
                MUSH = Multi-User Shared Habitat (online role-playing)
                Splat is just a supernatural group. So Werewolves and Vampires are 2 of the splats in WoD.

Comment

Splat is a reference to the asterisk symbol. In searches * is used as a wildcard. So when people type MU* it means MUSH, MU, and so on.

It became a short hand for WW's Clanbook/Tribebook/etc. as *books, or splatbooks.

Comment

I searched a bit yesterday and actually found a small german community that I will try out. I will take a look at the other links you guys post(ed), too. Thanks for the recommendations!

Comment

Yes, SAMP server. PM me for more informations

Comment

was involved with one on skype, but got let go for having divisive opinions.

Comment

the leader had the nick Sakuryu.

Comment

That small community I mentioned earlier didn't work out so well. Different playing styles and also the changed quite a lot of stuff about the games background. It works well for their games of course but not so much for me.
                            Now I just started in a chat-based P&P game of Werewolf which so far seems to be a much better fit. Not with above mentioned character though *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                            X