Hellboy, BPRD and The World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellboy, BPRD and The World of Darkness

i been binge reading Hellboy and BPRD lately and i cant stop thinking on how would Hellboy's universe play out in the World of Darkness.
    (MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD)
    The idea of Rasputin being a Barrabi, ZinCo being a ramification of pentex or a subsidary and the frogs being a new kind of Wyrm tainted Shapeshifter. or BPRD being a "What if the Goverment and the Technocracy collaborated for once."

i cant stop thinking on how to involucrate The Frogs on my Werewolf game xD

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

The OJ are Celestine-level Spirits trapped in the Deep Umbra the OH are Incarna-level Spirits). I would have them being independent of the Triat, much like the Demon Lords, as they have their own plans. Rasputin would work better as an Infernal-style Sorcerer, just working with the OJ instead of the Demon Lords, as his powers seem to mostly come from the OJ.

Comment

Really? With the Ogru Jahad collectively being the imprisoned "Dragon of Revelation" destined to bring about the end of the world and there being some vagueness about whether it's seven monstrous beings acting together or the multiple heads of a single great being, the equivalence to the Wyrm of W:tA would seem far more direct than such comparisons with most other fictional settings.

Comment

I just like there being multiple sources of evil in cWoD.

Comment

Well, Mignola's Hellboy setting features more traditional fallen angels/demons and evil gods like Hecate too, so there's a big buffet of Evil to pick from. I'd just say the Ogru Jahad themselves (itself?) have about as close a resemblance to the Wyrm as anything fictional I've ever seen that wasn't specifically written for Werewolf: the Apocalypse.

Comment

I love Hellboy, and I steal all kinds of stuff from it in my WoD games, especially Werewolf. And yes, the Ogrdu Jahad is pretty big inspiration for how I handle the Wyrm.

Comment

Now. how do you create the character from BPRD though? I would suggest modifying the rules from Ascension's Right Hand, Hedge Wizard's Handbook, and Sorcerer: Revised in the following ways. First, use the 'Equality for All' character creation rules from Sorcerer: Revised. Second, allow characters to buy the Special Advantages in Ascension's Right Hand with their freebie points. Third, allow characters to trade each level of Paths for seven freebie points, which would allow mundane characters to be the 'best of the best' and allow you to recreate many of the monstrous characters from BPRD. Fourth, modify as necessary.

Comment

The Ogdru Jahad are/is a multi-headed entity which plans to destroy the world and rebuild it in its image, is the progenitor of all sorts of monsters that inhabit the depths of the earth, corrupts creatures of different supernatural nature, from wizards to fae, has a race of shapeshifters that venerate it and do their best to prepare the world for it and loves green flames.

It does not get easier than that, people.

Hellboy and its expanded universe are great and an awesome source of inspiration for all WoD and CoD games. I steal from it more frequently that I'd like to admit

EDIT: Not to mention Guy Davis, which did tons of drawings for the WoD books, also did a really long run on BPRD. He's really good at drawing monsters, probably one of the best of the whole comic industry and when I first read the comic I instantly thought about all sorts of Wyrm horrors the man has done for WoD
                Last edited by Cinder; 02-20-2017, 08:06 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction.

I'm more friendly than I look, I'm just bad at showing it. Trying to improve about that.

Comment

First, you may enjoy reading Steve Jackson Games supplement which came out about ten years ago. It breaks down many of the supporting cast and has good ideas on expanding on the mythos. I found the system a little stifling though.
                  Second, I always thought that the systems for Adventure! covered the setting well, especially with the action/pulp tone so many of the comics had.

And yes, Guy Davis draws in that one too. Coincidence?!?

"Observe obstacles carefully. With ingenuity, they can become levers."

"The frailty of genius is that it requires an audience."

Comment

Well there is that frog mockery breed in the new book of the wyrm.

Comment

>EDIT: Not to mention Guy Davis, which did tons of drawings for the WoD books, also did a really long run on BPRD. He's really good at drawing monsters, probably one of the best of the whole comic industry and when I first read the comic I instantly thought about all sorts of Wyrm horrors the man has done for WoD

Technically speaking if two sets of books feature the same artwork then they can be quite reasonably be considered to be the same universe.

Hence BPRD et al are already in the WoD - it's just that they're not mentioned specifically in the rulebooks (so far...)

Let's face it if there's room in WoD for Werewolves, Vampires, Mages, the Fae, and any other supernatural races and they rarely clash with each other then there's room for the BPRD too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
                        Technically speaking if two sets of books feature the same artwork then they can be quite reasonably be considered to be the same universe.
                        I don't think Marvel and DC would agree.

Comment

>I don't think Marvel and DC would agree.
                          Since when have they been 'reasonable', I still remember Marvel suing City of Heroes because it was possible to create vaguely Marvel-like heroes.

Comment

My point, for the context-impaired, is that artists freelance for multiple employers. That doesn't suddenly make the different employers' IP all share the same setting, any more than the same advertising agency designing logos for Harley Davidson and Rolls Royce merges the two companies.

Comment

Working...
                            X