Means of Extending Mortal Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Means of Extending Mortal Life

I was pondering one of my characters, and was wondering if anyone knew how many different ways there are to extend human life in cWoD? I'm generally aware of Vampirism, being ghouled, and that some sorcerer/Mage means are out there. I'm not sure I'd count Wraith for this thought process. Are there a lot of others out there or am I touching the main ones?

If you want them to remain mortal, the only ways I know of are to use the Path of Alchemy (level 4 produces a regime that slows aging to one month for every year, so I figure it would be reasonable to have level 5 produce a regime that slows aging to one week for every years and to have level 6 produce a regime that grants functional immortality), to enter into a Soul Pact with a Demon Lord and purchase the Demonic Investment of Longevity and Youth, or to become the Ghoul of the Kindred.

Comment

In mage you gain a permanent dot of paradox for each century you extend your life past normal human life spand.

Comment

Well, that is due to a weakness of True Magick. Other forms of life extention have other weaknesses.

Comment

The standard inconveniences off a typical ST that get thrown at a immortal mortal should be enough for a couple of centuries worth of ppermadox.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post
            The standard inconveniences off a typical ST that get thrown at a immortal mortal should be enough for a couple of centuries worth of ppermadox.
            It's all fun in games till you have to roll backlash

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post

It's all fun in games till you have to roll backlash
              I think that this is only of consequence in the Mageverse.
              If you are playing in some other setting, then I would avoid using Mage rules. Especially considering that a non mage would roll for backlash only once a century, starting at the fifth.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

But I do not think that the longevity rules apply to non-Mages even in Mage the Ascension (every mention of permanent Paradox in relation to longevity have specifically referred to the effects of longevity on Mages).

Comment

Originally posted by Monalfie View Post
                  Are there a lot of others out there or am I touching the main ones?
                  For Changeling:
                  -Spend time in Freeholds where you don't age (that's from memory though, and may or may not apply once C20 comes out).
                  -Age is also probably not a consideration in the Dreaming by extension. I would say certainly not in the Far Dreaming.

For Werewolf:
                  -For Humans: becoming Possessed is probably the most straight forward option, though you give up some free will in doing so.
                  -For Fera: The Flux can almost certainly reverse aging, though in the vein of Mage there should be unexpected consequences.

Fera Specifics:
                  -Ananasi can (with Ananasa's blessing) eat their way to a younger body. Literally eat a younger person from the inside out and take over.
                  -Rokea don't die of old age at all.
                  -Kitsune double their lifespan for each rank attained. A typical 4th ranker should have around an 800 year lifespan (1600 for 5th and 3200 for Legends).
                  -Both Mokole and Gurahl have Rites that allow them to sleep through the ages. Maybe not quite what you were looking for, but it technically extends their lifetimes.

Edit: oh, and for Highlanders: don't get your head cut off (this one is obviously non canon joking )
                  Last edited by idpersona; 03-11-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Mokole also have various Gifts and rites to de-age themselves, like shedding bones and the Sleep of Hsi Wang Mu for the Middle Dragons.

Comment

I would figure disconnection would also prevent aging... but that is a bit extreme, and there is no guarantee a bigger umbral fish doesn't eat you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post
                        I would figure disconnection would also prevent aging... but that is a bit extreme, and there is no guarantee a bigger umbral fish doesn't eat you.
                        Fair enough. And that theoretically works on anyone.

Comment

Demons do not age as long as they have at least one Faith Point. (Demon Player's Guide p.15) By straining the Rules As Written this is one of a Demon's inherent powers, which can be granted through a Pact. Exactly how this would keep working is up for grabs: the Player's Guide says this is as long as a Demon has Faith Points. Since mortals don't have those, this can either cross over with their Faith rating or their Willpower. The more literal interpretation would require them to roll Willpower 7 for every scene they want to use this. But given the nature of a scene this becomes even muddier to use on a day-to-day basis.

As a Storyteller though I would not allow the granting of unagingness (so NOT immortality) without some serious sacrifices on the part of the Thrall, possibly making it more of a hassle than it's worth on their part. But still many people would take this deal, which fits just nicely into the theme of Demon.

Comment

Just another reason why Infernalists are better off than Thralls.

Comment

Well you could always go to the midnight circus from what i understand if you get a job there you can live for ever!

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

Comment

Working...
                              X