WOD True Faith and children

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOD True Faith and children

Years ago I read in a WW book that children are more likely to have true faith then adults. It refereed to the events of a child being attacked by a monster then hiding under a blanket and the monster failing to get to the child because of their true faith in the blanket. So my question is does this faith based effect still apply to where a child can hide under their security blanket and event the eldest Vampire/Garou/Mage can not effect them?

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

The blanket may be a manifestation of it. Still, even if it's more likely among young children by numbers, it still won't be frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahod View Post
      Years ago I read in a WW book that children are more likely to have true faith then adults. It refereed to the events of a child being attacked by a monster then hiding under a blanket and the monster failing to get to the child because of their true faith in the blanket. So my question is does this faith based effect still apply to where a child can hide under their security blanket and event the eldest Vampire/Garou/Mage can not effect them?
      Let me turn the question around for you: would you be comfortable to run/play in a game where it matters if prepubescent children have True Faith to defend themselves from the Kindred?

Comment

Originally posted by Beriorn View Post
        Let me turn the question around for you: would you be comfortable to run/play in a game where it matters if prepubescent children have True Faith to defend themselves from the Kindred?

Short answer: Well yes I would

Long answer: Well yes I would due to the fact that my group is all adults and understand that this is just a game of make believe and not real nor does it represent the beliefs or views of those who verbally describe the events, be they a player or the storyteller. This is the world of darkness and dark things happen. So in that event a monster is just that a monster and does not hold the same views on humanity as others would. I understand and respect other who don't allow heavy adult themed events in their game. Also I respect those to have events of a darker nature as well as long as those who run such things leave those acts in the game and don't act them out in real life.

I am no offended or upset about your question I just wanted to explain my point of view so it is understood.

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

Comment

Alright, I just wondered if you understood the implications of including them.

I'd say that True Faith and a child hiding under a blanket to keep the monsters out are not the same thing. The latter is more like something you'd see in Mage: where one's personal belief in something gives it magical qualities. A child Mage would be able to (subconsciously) create a bedsheet that renders them invulnerable/invisible/untouchable to monsters, but they don't have (or for that matter understand) the zeal and conviction that comes with True Faith. True Faith is the belief and trust in something greater than one's self, while a child under the bedsheeds sees this more like a cause-and-effect thing: it's under the sheets, so monsters can't hurt it. As they grow up they stop believing in these things and start understanding what it means to have faith, potentially allowing it to gain True Faith.

Of course, it could be an interesting twist when a powerful vampire gets killed by a child that's subconsciously a Mage, but I'm not sure how to quickly kill a vampire with as few dots in Spheres as possible. Or have the child be a Marauder or something.

Comment

I think that children should have True Faith. I generally give children True Faith equal to (5 - (Age÷3), rounded down). It discourages PCs from snacking on children.

Comment

That breaks suspension of disbelief for me.

True Faith is added to Willpower, hence it would significantly reduce the percentage of kids to get addicted to various substances.

Plus they would not bully other kids, or just stand as spectators.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                I think that children should have True Faith. I generally give children True Faith equal to (5 - (Age÷3), rounded down). It discourages PCs from snacking on children.
                There are plenty of other ways of dissuading wayward PCs that make more in-universe sense. Even in the WoD, killing kids (or disappearing them) with any degree of regularity should cause problems in the form of police investigations, CPS scrutiny, the whole nine yards. If kids start to go missing, people don't just shrug and scratch their heads and move on, that shit gets splashed on the news, people start to panic, and it could become a city-wide (maybe even state-level) crisis. That stuff ain't healthy for the Masquerade/Veil/whatever.

Also, if the kids are being used as bloodbags, they are likely fragile and probably can't take much draining before dying. Even if they survive, hurting children is pretty fucked up stuff. Feeding off children could easily represent a great risk of shredding one's own humanity.

Comment

Very True

I too think a blanket shouldn't be repository of True Faith...it's seems kinda silly...True Faith it's not some random belief, but something that requires the dedication to one or several higher powers.

Then again, True Faith aways had a Christian feel about it. In allowing all other beliefs to be Faith without changing or re-defining the mechanics, it's almost guaranteed to cause some sillyness, eventually. The blanket thing it's just the most extreme example of that I've ever heard (by far)

Originally posted by Beriorn
                  I'd say that True Faith and a child hiding under a blanket to keep the monsters out are not the same thing. The latter is more like something you'd see in Mage: where one's personal belief in something gives it magical qualities. A child Mage would be able to (subconsciously) create a bedsheet that renders them invulnerable/invisible/untouchable to monsters, but they don't have (or for that matter understand) the zeal and conviction that comes with True Faith. True Faith is the belief and trust in something greater than one's self, while a child under the bedsheeds sees this more like a cause-and-effect thing: it's under the sheets, so monsters can't hurt it. As they grow up they stop believing in these things and start understanding what it means to have faith, potentially allowing it to gain True Faith.
                  Agreed, the blanket thing actually working makes more sense for a child mage.

Comment

I still maintain that giving children widespread True Faith actually puts them in more danger because it means there is a strong incentive for canny and amoral supernaturals to weaponize them.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                      I still maintain that giving children widespread True Faith actually puts them in more danger because it means there is a strong incentive for canny and amoral supernaturals to weaponize them.
                      Now picturing a t-shirt cannon full of Mindies.

Comment

I doubt that many supernatural creatures would use ammunition that sets them on fire when they handle it. Imagine a Path of Evil Revelations Kindred (or a Demon) trying to load a baby with True Faith 5 in a t-shirt cannon. I do not think I would be intimidated by an opponent who alternates catching on fire with begging and pleading with their ammunition to please kill them.

Comment

I doubt that many supernatural creatures would use ammunition that sets them on fire when they handle it. Imagine a Path of Evil Revelations Kindred (or a Demon) trying to load a baby with True Faith 5 in a t-shirt cannon. I do not think I would be intimidated by an opponent who alternates catching on fire with begging and pleading with their ammunition to please kill them.
                          That's why you have minions to load them into the canons for you. As implementation hurdles go, that's almost perfunctory.

Comment

Working...
                          X