Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how separate from the is WoD20 from 5th Edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how separate from the is WoD20 from 5th Edition?

Seeing as how 5th Edition of Vampire has been announced for Q1 2018, and Werewolf for Q3 2018 (source ICV2.com), could I ask for just a little clarification on the 20th Anniversary editions of these properties? Are you allowed to continue putting out supplements for V20 and W20, or are the things we see on the release calendar the last things we will see for them?

It's been asked a few times, and the lack of solid answers is fairly indicative of the Onyx Path team being not allowed to talk about it for legal reasons.

Most people are assuming that 5e is going to mean the end of the 20th lines (at least in phases) since WWP isn't going to want to have new 20th material coming out at the same time as new 5e material. But we don't know any sort of details how that's going to play out.

Comment

I think we will know more as it gets closer to the fall or end of the year. Although I wouldn't mind getting M20 stuff sooner tbt.

Comment

Another way that 5th edition is supposed to be separate is that this edition is going to be actively continuing the metaplot left off from Revised/Third edition. How they're going to do that since, you know, mostly everyone would probably be dead, no one knows for sure.

Or at least, not without lots and lots of retcons.

Comment

I think we are going to have lots of retcons because there would be no one left to play (unless they make the Earth into the Creation of Exalted or something like that).

Comment

I'm just worried that if it is too different, the classic WoD community will be split be editions.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTyger View Post
              I'm just worried that if it is too different, the classic WoD community will be split be editions.
              So...what happened with D&D4e vs Pathfinder?

Oh gods no.
              Last edited by tasti man LH; 04-02-2017, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I can't wait. I have enjoyed a lot of the new stuff, like Shattered Dreams, and I am more than willing to see fresh iterations of old ideas. As ever, I will use what I like, and castoff whatever material strikes me as idiotic... been doing that since the Revised CoG tribebook. Ain't no goddamn meme spirits in my game either, I tell you what.

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
                  Seeing as how 5th Edition of Vampire has been announced for Q1 2018, and Werewolf for Q3 2018 (source ICV2.com), could I ask for just a little clarification on the 20th Anniversary editions of these properties? Are you allowed to continue putting out supplements for V20 and W20, or are the things we see on the release calendar the last things we will see for them?

I will be INCREADIBLY impressed if they hit those dates.

Comment

What exactly is Onyx Path going to be publishing with Paradox publishing 5e? Are they keeping the other properties of WW or are they closing up shop?

Comment

EvilTyger There's already edition wars - just go into the Mage forums and claim you like Revised, and that the Avatar Storm is pretty cool.

Aya Tari I get the feeling that you don't go outside these forums much, because Onyx Path publishes a whole lot of other stuff, too.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
                      'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

And how popular is their other stuff compared to the WW books?

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post

Judging by Kickstarters? Pretty damn popular. People really(REALLY) want to play as dogs, as Pugmire made all sorts of money during the first KS.

Scion also made a ton of money as well.

They've also got plenty of things going with the Chronicles of Darkness, and I have a feeling Paradox will allow them to continue the 20th Anniversary line for certain books for the future.

Onyx Path is in good shape.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post

There is this little game called Exalted they have, supper small indy stuff..

Comment

In regards to the "edition" split, I think the comparison to D&D and Pathfinder is more apt. One of the biggest risks for WoD 5e is that WW has opted to develop it themselves (also scrapping the early plans Onyx Path was already hatching to do the same thing), which means creating a rift between Onyx Path fans and WW fans that's more than just an edition war.

WoD 5e could easily end up being the WoD's version of D&D 4e. However well executed it is, a lot of the design goals stated for it are already showing signs of it not "feeling like the WoD" that is so essential for keeping the fans of a long running product buying new editions. This could easily drive players towards just sticking with the discontinued 20th books (assuming that happens), CofD or Storypath conversions of the WoD games to get more modern game design while keeping what they like about the setting (basically the equivalent of Pathfinder), and leaving WoD 5e fairly in the lurch as a product; necessitating a WoD 6e to actually get back to rebuilding the game lines from where the 20th books put them. Or WW might just drop doing TT rules and give that back to Onyx Path (but that's a bit of a White Elephant move if they do so after a potential WoD 5e bomb goes off).

-----

And lets be honest, Onyx Path losing the 20th lines is going to be a hurt for them. They're very successful and very well selling books (and we have to hope WW doesn't decide to do something incredibly shitty like pull games off of DTRPG). While Onyx Path has the CofD and Exalted, those are also still WW properties, and they're equally subject to WW deciding to take them over or start having a larger say in their future (unlikely as is with CofD, but Exalted as a lot of potential for a transmedia company, and if WW gets the One WoD thing working successfully, they might want to look at Exalted as a second franchise to expand into since they already own it).

Onyx Path having the Storypath games, and their partnership games, means that Onyx Path can probably withstand any hits they take would take from this sort of stuff, and it could possibly be good for them in the long run (more time an effort on their own products instead of licensed products means they can do more to stand out as a company rather than being the people that make TT games for WW), it isn't going to be pretty.

Comment

Working...
                              X