Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how separate from the is WoD20 from 5th Edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Well, they have an incentive to not screw up things at the beginning because they have to increase brand awareness (more people still recognize Buffy the Vampire Slayer, True Blood, and Twilight more than the recognize VtM). After a couple of years, especially if they have a successful TV series or a successful video game, the tabletop may suffer from a lack of attention. Of course, tabletop games are on life support because the hobby is slowly dying out because the majority of gaming companies have been moving to PDF (meaning that there are less physical books for people to buy on impulse in the surviving gaming stores).

    Comment


    • #92
      Speaking about TV series: Kindred the Embraced. I loved it. It was VtM with bit of clan name changes (don't remember why, maby licence issues). Small amount of special effects with fine plot. I'd prefer a good story over effects.

      Comment


      • #93
        I attended the conference, and spoke to everyone involved in the new launch. Obviously they are all keeping secrets. But here is what I think might be happening with regard to OPP and WW. The IP is as we know HUGE. In fact the description of it as the richest and most detailed horror world since the Cthulhu Mythos is accurate. Additionally there are various editions, of which 20th anniversary is clearly one of the best and most popular. And further, the WoD is not just a global stage it is also an historical one, with games drawing from various cultures and periods in time. In short, its has grown too big for a small group of people to juggle alone, especially when those people are taking an interconnected transmedia approach.
        The principle then is to retain control over a core part of the setting and its development while unleashing the rest of this totality into the hands of whoever the hell wants to do so, and providing a central vault where all this is connected and accessible together. Templates and formatting options will be provided to everyone so that they can create their own supplements.
        Clearly OPP has options here, and given their close relationship with WWP and its desire to be an inclusive organisation, they are no doubt working together to figure out the role OPP can take on. Perhaps they will be given stewardship over some entire lines, like Demon or the Dark Ages. They could even continue with 20th anniversary works like Shattered Dreams, Children of the Revolution, or be put in charge of making a new Silver Record for WtA like Becketts Diary, a book which is to be the metaplot bible for the new venture.
        We will have to wait and see, but I dont feel that OPP are done with the classic WoD. And quite apart from splitting the community (edition or location wise), I see this as a move towards complete inclusivity - all editions of the rules will be catered to, the level will just depend on the fans. Tampa By Night is coming up, and Tobias has said there will be attendance at one big convention in the USA and one in Europe each year.
        Last edited by deejay; 05-17-2017, 08:13 AM.

        Comment


        • #94
          One of the possible issues comes from cultural differences though. WW was largely an American company, with American artists and American writers, so the IP will inevitably change due to taking a European focus (not necessarily a bad change, mind you, but there will be a change in focus and change). It is largely up to Paradox whether they move to a more European-oriented WW (which would likely result in exploring the localities and history of Europe more) or to keep the American-focus. Neither choice is necessarily bad, but we will notice any changes.

          Comment


          • #95
            Good points. I think it must inevitably now shift to a more European focus, but personally as a European player who has watched it all happen far away over there for 25 years, that seems long overdue. I just hope the shift ends up balanced in important ways. It wasn't for a very, very long time.

            Comment


            • #96
              Hmm. When White Wolf released 2 editions of Vampire Werewolf and Mage and it was translated in polish, polish main rpg magazine Magic and Sword strongly supported World of Darkness by translating/creating own adventures, They made (translated?) cool and creepy crossover Vampire/Cyberpunk World of Darkness/Kult, and released on their pages Rage across the Poland fan suplement quite good at 90's. I always wished/dreamed about official Rage across the Poland/Warsaw, but nowdays possibility of turning WW metaplot to Europe feels ... not so good for me. Strange. I don't know. This was American centered game and I felt cool playing it as a teenager. Nowdays I'm not sure what european metaplot have to offer nowdays.

              Comment


              • #97
                The new metaplot isnt going to ignore a massive superpower but its certainly going to feel different with a more European perspective added in to how it is portrayed. I hope that this will be more accurate than some of the portayals of European culture by Americans. I think we all have a significant relationship with American culture, especially its entertainment industry, and that culture is obviously under threat and going through an unstable phase, and I think that some of that anxiety is being projected onto this move to Europe.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by deejay View Post
                  Good points. I think it must inevitably now shift to a more European focus, but personally as a European player who has watched it all happen far away over there for 25 years, that seems long overdue. I just hope the shift ends up balanced in important ways. It wasn't for a very, very long time.
                  I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, particularly regarding the mass media aspects. Wasn't Let the Right One In made for a Swedish audience, with its success in the US being a happy surprise? I'd take those sensibilities over the ones behind The Vampire Diaries and the Twilight franchise any day of the week.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by deejay View Post
                    I attended the conference, and spoke to everyone involved in the new launch. Obviously they are all keeping secrets. But here is what I think might be happening with regard to OPP and WW. The IP is as we know HUGE. In fact the description of it as the richest and most detailed horror world since the Cthulhu Mythos is accurate. Additionally there are various editions, of which 20th anniversary is clearly one of the best and most popular. And further, the WoD is not just a global stage it is also an historical one, with games drawing from various cultures and periods in time. In short, its has grown too big for a small group of people to juggle alone, especially when those people are taking an interconnected transmedia approach.
                    The principle then is to retain control over a core part of the setting and its development while unleashing the rest of this totality into the hands of whoever the hell wants to do so, and providing a central vault where all this is connected and accessible together. Templates and formatting options will be provided to everyone so that they can create their own supplements.
                    Clearly OPP has options here, and given their close relationship with WWP and its desire to be an inclusive organisation, they are no doubt working together to figure out the role OPP can take on. Perhaps they will be given stewardship over some entire lines, like Demon or the Dark Ages. They could even continue with 20th anniversary works like Shattered Dreams, Children of the Revolution, or be put in charge of making a new Silver Record for WtA like Becketts Diary, a book which is to be the metaplot bible for the new venture.
                    We will have to wait and see, but I dont feel that OPP are done with the classic WoD. And quite apart from splitting the community (edition or location wise), I see this as a move towards complete inclusivity - all editions of the rules will be catered to, the level will just depend on the fans. Tampa By Night is coming up, and Tobias has said there will be attendance at one big convention in the USA and one in Europe each year.
                    I really hope it'll turn out the way you wrote!

                    Also, am is there something wrong with me that I practically started salivating at the thought of a Mage equivalent of Beckett's?

                    Good points. I think it must inevitably now shift to a more European focus, but personally as a European player who has watched it all happen far away over there for 25 years, that seems long overdue. I just hope the shift ends up balanced in important ways. It wasn't for a very, very long time.
                    Honestly, this, this a thousand times! I'm really happy for things like the lecture about Slavic folklore and it's incorporation to WoD at the vent happening already. US material is good, I want it, but there's also tons and tons of potential in other parts of the world and it always good to get material for your home region at least. I'm seriously considering writing stuff for the ST vault for Hungary and also in Hungarian when it kicks in!


                    If nothing worked, then let's think!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by deejay View Post
                      Good points. I think it must inevitably now shift to a more European focus, but personally as a European player who has watched it all happen far away over there for 25 years, that seems long overdue. I just hope the shift ends up balanced in important ways. It wasn't for a very, very long time.
                      A younger me would have been huffy about this, but, having played a Dark Ages: Vampire game for almost ten real-world-years (in-game, started in 1156; it is now 1470's), my appreciation for European setting WoD is rabid. I think this shift of modern focus is one of the few things I am really looking forward to.

                      The only thing I lament is that I'm from and grew up in Miami, FL, and I so desperately wanted a Miami by Night/Rage Across Miami/Mage-Book-Set-In-Miami (eff'n WW skimping out on making a cool naming convention for Mage city books... err... the one Mage city book lol); like an all-encompassing one doing all the lines (sort of like how Dark Ages setting books cover all their bases). My hope is that with this new "Storyteller's Guild" thingie, we might get something like that.

                      With that in mind, I'm really happy for you European WoD fans--your time has come, damn it! (even if I don't care at all for the direction the rules are takingm and will probably just adapt the metaplot to Revised/20th rules)


                      Sig

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by werewolf43 View Post
                        Small amount of special effects with fine plot. I'd prefer a good story over effects.
                        I also prefer great stories over special effects, things like a series with deep conversations and intense narration it’s completely better over CGI monsters and plain action and explosions.

                        Originally posted by werewolf43 View Post
                        Speaking about TV series: Kindred the Embraced. I loved it. It was VtM with bit of clan name changes (don't remember why, maby licence issues).
                        That was explained in the latest version of KTE box-set, the VTM book was found literally over an altar at a book store and they saw the book was worshiped at that place, that’s when they decided to make a VTM TV series, then when the director, John Leekley, read the book, he found out there were several Clans, so, he decided to choose just some of them, that’s why you had things like all the Kindred with Protean, or Daedalus, the Nosferatu Primogen making alchemy (KTE’s response to Thaumaturgy), or a Caitiff with a harsh background embraced by a Gangrel going mad and turning into a serial killer, “Hi, Malkavians”.

                        The way Kindred: The Embraced depicted certain aspects of VTM’s lore were on point, like the Malkavian thing, nothing about Fishmalks or Harley Quinns, also there was the Toreador Primogen, Lillie Langtry, the Toreador are more connected with the human aspects and that means they also have the darker facets of being human, not that they are the nice vampires. The director also explained that he saw the vampires on VTM were, unlike humans, very passionate about the things they did, that’s why the series had all those passionate characters dealing with humans and human themes.

                        Most of the deleted scenes had parts where they talked or expanded aspects from the lore, so even if all the Clans weren’t there, they incorporated different pieces of the lore in one way or another, no Obfuscation, but there was a scene where Daedalus is hiding and he can't be seen and found by a woman and she only hears his voice, no Mask of the Thousand Faces, but, Daedalus used alchemy to change his appearance temporally, no Ventrue weakness, but, a Ventrue who worked as a doctor used to only drink blood from children.

                        As most Hollywood films tend to be generic, especially when they have big budgets, I think other countries can be able to make more interesting things than U.S. productions; they should get a chance. Japan, Korea, Germany and Sweden made good, entertaining and interesting vampire stories.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CaptOtter View Post
                          With that in mind, I'm really happy for you European WoD fans--your time has come
                          If I'm not wrong, they recently said they want somebody from Asia to make Kindred of the East, if not, they're not going it to touch it, I think that's a good thing to do with KotE or any new tabletop book, film, etc. As they are just a licensing company, they just need to find people who wants make their products and hopefully, their input makes it right. Now, let's hope those companies and investors appear.

                          Comment


                          • Well, you cannot just have someone from China make KoTE because it also includes Japan, Korea, South Asia, Southeast Asia, etc. The cultural differences between China and Japan are about as extreme as the cultural differences between Portugal and Moldova, and the people in those two countries would probably be more forgiving of mistakes than the people in China or Japan. In my opinion, their best bet would be to hire on someone with a PhD in Asian Studies with a familiarity in multiple Asian cultures to work with a couple of writers to make sure that they get the culture and history correct.

                            I do not want to see the KJ suddenly buddy-buddy with the Kindred because I like the rage of the KJ towards the Kindred. The Kindred had dared to invade their nations, to take their herds, to ignore their culture, and to condescend to them. The KJ should have a fury towards the Kindred that is only matched by the traditional attitude of the Garou Nation towards the Kindred. Anything less would just be a disappointment.

                            Comment


                            • A french publisher will publish France by Night for Vampire Dark Ages 20th, at the end of this year.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X