Lets discuss damage.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets discuss damage.

Hi all i want to know where you draw the line between Bashing and Lethal damage. Please give a few examples of examples that have vome up at your tables where a certain damage were discussed.
    For example, at my table we recently discusses wether or not broken bones is considered bashing or lethal, does it depend on which bones and if so, which are considered lethal?

Also, same stuff but the degree of damage as well. For example how many health levels is a broken arm worth?

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

The distinction wether an injury is bashing or lethal is easy to make through the damage healing times that normal humans have to endure:

Bashing
    ------------
    1-4 - One Hour
    5 - Three Hours
    6 - Six Hours
    7 - 12 Hours

Remember that the healing times are *cumulative*, so healing the whole 7 bashing damage takes 24 hours. To heal all of it. It takes 12 hours to heal that 7th dot of damage, then 6 hours to heal the 6th, then three hours to heal the 5th...
    In light of the fact that healing the whole 7 bashing takes one day, Bashing is *harmless*. Very harmless compared to lethal. Bashing is a very temporary thing. Shallow cuts and bruises that are merely cosmetic would also fall under this - they hurt a little at first, might be inconveniencing in the first hours, but in basically no time they are simply mild annoyances that look worse than they actually feel.

Now let's look at lethal:

Lethal
    ---------
    1 - One Day
    2 - Three Days
    3 - One Week
    4 - One Month
    5 - Two Months
    6 - Three Months
    7 - Five Months

So for a normal human to heal 7 lethal it takes about a year. A Year!

Now ask yourself the simple question, 'How long does it take to heal a broken arm'
    Note: This is also the reason why, in the case of situational injuries, I see the damage rating a character has suffered as the single maximum damage they endured. If you break somebody's arm, they might get 5 lethal, but if they get another broken arm, this amount won't increase. You simply need to RP out the fact that the other arm is also broken.
    Same reason why getting stabbed in the hand should give you a little lethal, but getting stabbed four times in the same hand should not instantly kill you by adding the same amount of damage every time

Also, the rules say that once a human is at three lethal or above, they gain another level of lethal per day if left untreated. This of course should consider the kind of injury they have - a cleanly broken arm should not cause this. A bleeding large gash, internal bleeding, shattered bones with ruptured skin etc? Yeah. Those definitely might.
    Last edited by Ambrosia; 04-22-2017, 06:42 AM.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
    >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

You could also consider any Bashing Damage source that begins by exceeding 10 as basically being Lethal as unsoaked it would relate to 3 Lethal and 4 Bashing anyway. Of couse I'd reduce it to just the lethal if doing so.

Sort of why falling damage becomes lethal after 100 feet (way past what it should) and why getting hit by a speeding car is lethal instead of bashing as well

Comment

Originally posted by Tuch View Post
        Sort of why falling damage becomes lethal after 100 feet (way past what it should)
        ....hnnngh. Don't get me started. The normal falling damage rules are an absolute joke.
        I have a houserule for them somewhere. Gotta find it..

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
        >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Well, the damage and soak rules are a joke. I tend to treat bashing damage as fatigue and lethal damage as injury. In my games, combat deals lethal damage (combatants can choose to deal bashing damage instead of lethal damage if using unarmed combat, less-than-lethal weapons or ammunition, or by taking a penalty of one success when using muscle-powered weapons). In my games, everyone can soak bashing and lethal damage, though mortals take one health level of bashing damage per health level of lethal damage that they soak in the form of shock (supernatural creature are more robust and do not suffer from shock after soaking lethal damage).

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

....hnnngh. Don't get me started. The normal falling damage rules are an absolute joke.
            I have a houserule for them somewhere. Gotta find it..
            Hilariously, the original ones from Revised are slightly better. But I'll agree with you there.

Back on topic, the way I see it is what effect it has on the body. Bashing is just bruises and ouchies, lethal is blood coming out some where, and aggravated is the paramedic telling you to apply pressure or he'll bleed out before you get to the hospital. That's basically all they really are, various degrees of damage, unlike other WW game lines where aggravated is soul rending damage.
            That said, the HH2 book specifically says that guns of certain size should inflict lethal or even aggravated damage to vampires. Namely, I say if it could kill a tank at one point in history it will lethal damage, such as explosives and .50 BMG. But for things like "why doesn't a hammer do lethal damage?" I tend to prefer the Exalted explanation, it should have a huge amount of base damage but have it be all bashing. Personally I think a hammer should be doing like Str + 4 levels of bashing damage, hammers hurt and the person tends to drop before you kill them.

I do have a dislike of the healing rules and their subjective take on how long it should be to wake up from incapacitated, 12 hours seems so very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by theoutlander523 View Post
              That said, the HH2 book specifically says that guns of certain size should inflict lethal or even aggravated damage to vampires
              I also remember that aimed shots at the head with any gun always do lethal damage to them.

I do have a dislike of the healing rules and their subjective take on how long it should be to wake up from incapacitated, 12 hours seems so very wrong.
              ...eh. Eeeh. I am kind of fine with that, *especially* when it comes to lethal damage. For Bruised it's a little too harsh, but a classic Knock Out that only lasts a few seconds is what happens when you get more damage in a hit than your stamina rating. (V20 derivates from that sadly and boosts that threshold for vampires - which I think is unnecessary as they tend to pump their stamina before a fight in the first place..).

Comment

Working...
              X