End Times yes or no?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
    Most of the WoD games I've been in have ignored the end times element while keeping in "The world is a horrible/decaying place." In a sense the "end times" have come and gone. The world has gone to shit. Now you just do what you need to survive.
    To paraphrase Stephen King, "The world had moved on."

The end of the world is process, not an event. And as for cycles...

"There's an idea that hell is other people. My idea is that it might be repetition."

Again, Mr. King.

Comment

The narrators of a number of Vampire books over the decades have framed the Lupines as goofy New Agers who use a belief in the coming Apocalypse to justify their natural cravings for bloody murder.

It would make for a fun, if possibly short, Werewolf chronicle if the Leeches turned out to be right.

Comment

Recently I'm trying to make either ToJ and 20th anniversary edition canon in my games. As far as I know parts of ToJ are canon in 20th anniversary edition (Avatar Storm, 6th Great Maelstorm) and some are not (rising of the Antideluvians). As I have too many players to form one pack/coterie/cahal I thought about a great campaign for a few groups, which adventures will be interwined and there will be some focal points during which you PCs will decide the fate of the world (like who will get Sargon Fragments, will Fanum will be saved or will Samuel Height get the blood of Shaitan). If they succeed the end of the world will brush aside but if they don't...

Warrior of the Rainbow
        Saint among the sinners
        Pure among the dirt
        Loser among winners

Comment

No WoD game i run is set after 21 December 2012. I tend to set games in the 90's and run them as period pieces, and if the timeline goes all the way to 2012, i've ended the world and run the End Times as the final part of the campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by hachiman View Post
            No WoD game i run is set after 21 December 2012. I tend to set games in the 90's and run them as period pieces, and if the timeline goes all the way to 2012, i've ended the world and run the End Times as the final part of the campaign.
            That's something I've been thinking about. But do you give players a chance to save the world and if yes how hard it will be?

Warrior of the Rainbow
            Saint among the sinners
            Pure among the dirt
            Loser among winners

Comment

Taking the idea of Gehenna as a metaphor for real world Y2K panic and running with it, I'd love to see a supplement, game, or other media project set in the early 80's. It's too bad that CoD's "New Age Requiem" book makes the idea seem redundant.

Comment

Grumpy RPG Review's reference to the Dark Tower was apt, I think, since some oWoD mythos (including the supposed ties to Exalted) took more of a 'cyclical' view of things. Heck even in earlier editions of Vampire we were told that the Antes rising up was cyclical (it was what, every 2300 years or so I think? I can't recall and am too lazy to check ATM). I've always felt there was ample justifications to be able to treat it as 'final' or 'not final' as you wanted. And what you want to happen is also up to you (do you want civilization to continue as it does, or do you want to reduce things to Fallout level?)

My view has been that the End Times/Gehenna were part of that cycle and it either is still ongoing/has been resolved depending on ones view (and how closely one wants to look at V5. etc.) Even if some things (like the withering) get overcome this may lead to other problems until the underlying causes are addressed (in my headcanon alot of the 'end times' stuff like Gehenna stemmed from an increasing loss of magic in the world, and Vampires have suddenly become bygones (to use Mage terminology).

I also happen to feel that even stuff like you get in Gehenna does not necessarily have to be 'final final' - they left it open ended in lots of ways to end or continue as a storyteller saw fit, and that can be made to work with the continuiation of V20 (at least. I'm still reserving judgement on V5.)

Heck how often do you get doomsday cults that say THE END IS NIGH only for it not to happen and then they suddenly come up with a reason why that didn't really count and 'oh its REALLY going to end at this point.' And the line that must not be crossed keeps getting pushed back further and further...

Comment

Working...
                X