World of Darkness Collector's Blues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Darkness Collector's Blues

So any other collectors out there who had solid books, but now its two decades later, and its hard to get original copies and now you are at a crossroads on whether to just get PDFs, or get the PDF/solid bundles, or buying original copies off of Bookstores on Amazon?

Seriously my indecision is the reason I haven't finished my Tribebook collection. Is there a particular time when we know a sale will happen, so I know when I should make a large purchase on Drivethru?

Anyone remember when Whitewolf sold PDFs before Drivethru? I had Risen, Ratkin/Bastet, and Lair of the Hidden from there... and now since I can't redownload I have to find some way to locate my PDFs of Lair and Risen if I want to read them again. Hopefully they are on some Flashdrive because I do not want to buy them again...

What do you all do?

It is a time for great deeds!

I moved to an all PDF collection a year or so ago and never looked back.

I'll likely never buy another hard copy again unless there's a Hunter 20th Edition.

If V5 ever goes to stores, I'll probably impulse buy it if I'm being honest with myself.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

I couldn't afford myself for tribebook collections - no money. Only year ago i get better payment so now i can make my wishes reality so I'm collecting tribebooks in softback. Drivethrough have almost every so slowly book by book i hope i'll collect all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by werewolf43 View Post
        I couldn't afford myself for tribebook collections - no money. Only year ago i get better payment so now i can make my wishes reality so I'm collecting tribebooks in softback. Drivethrough have almost every so slowly book by book i hope i'll collect all of them.

Okay so you advocate drivethru printing them for you rather then finding old editions? How do you like their printing? Pretty comparable to original edition copies? Werewolf was my Jam, so I always regretted only having half the revised books before they started becoming sold out.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

These days I do it on a case-by-case basis.
          Essentially, I think a tabletop campaign should have at least the corebook and essential, often opened books (like splatbooks regarding active splats in the round or a specific setting book) in physical form. Rarely peeked at books work off a tablet in PDF form.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
          >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Okay so you advocate drivethru printing them for you rather then finding old editions? How do you like their printing? Pretty comparable to original edition copies? Werewolf was my Jam, so I always regretted only having half the revised books before they started becoming sold out.
            I'm satisfied. Text is readable, I can only compare it to book of weaver and they are similar.

Comment

My main rule when it comes to hard copies: a. core rulebooks only and b. additional books that I actually like.

For instance, when it comes to V20: obviously I'll get the rulebook. I dug the hell out of Hunters Hunted II since it provided an alternate method of play as vampire hunters without having to wait for a HtR20 or attempt to convert HtR to WoD20 rules. Conversely, I have no interest in picking up Children of the Revolution since that's just a book that lists a bunch of NPC Anarchs and their stats. Don't really think it adds much to my games nor do I think it justifies getting a hard copy.

Comment

I have a bunch of spare hardcopies. Pretty sure they're all originals, not DTRPG. Should I post a for-sale list?

Comment

I have several old tablets loaded with my entire library of game books and a few useful apps - amazingly useful in a session, as you'd imagine, to be able to hand one to each player - so I find no advantage in play with hard copy books. I enjoy having them, but that's purely a personal vanity thing rather than a utility, and I pretty much only pick up the deluxe editions in hard copy.

Comment

The collector in me makes me want to purchase an entire game line if I buy even just one physical copy. So I tend to avoid that these days.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                      My main rule when it comes to hard copies: a. core rulebooks only and b. additional books that I actually like.
                      My collection went through a massive purge a year ago when I moved - now I only keep hard copies of sourcebooks for games I'm going to run (Both Vampires, Dark Ages, Wraith, and Mage at this point)

I'm still a little sad all my flaming orange Hunter books are gone, but I don't think I was ever going to reread those 75% fiction sourcebooks.
                      Last edited by Darker Days Mike; 05-21-2017, 10:22 PM. Reason: quote

Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast
                      Unbuttoned History - A History Podcast with Jokes

Comment

Originally posted by Darker Days Mike View Post
                        I'm still a little sad all my flaming orange Hunter books are gone, but I don't think I was ever going to reread those 75% fiction sourcebooks.
                        In the meantime, just hoping that the edicts of nuWW with WoD5 didn't quash any hopes for a HtR20?

Comment

All I want for Christmas(or ANY holiday) is a HtR 20.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

I find holding the book in my hand preferable to just having the PDF. Just for the feel, a sense of accomplishment in my collection when I look at it and it's easier to find stuff by just opening the book (IMHO). The only problem is that I'm starting to run a bit out of room and will have to get a new bookshelf in the distant future. Granted a number of them are DTRPG copies, but I don't care.

See my splat, Angel: The Revelation (With a MUCH better link): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...qUnP1fcl-0/pub

Comment

Originally posted by Yaoi Huntress Earth View Post
                              I find holding the book in my hand preferable to just having the PDF. Just for the feel, a sense of accomplishment in my collection when I look at it and it's easier to find stuff by just opening the book (IMHO). The only problem is that I'm starting to run a bit out of room and will have to get a new bookshelf in the distant future. Granted a number of them are DTRPG copies, but I don't care.
                              For our generations at least, the formatting of the book actually makes both the information and the organization of the information easier to memorize and search.

Comment

Working...
                              X