V5 is the most-anticipated rpg of 2018 second try

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5 is the most-anticipated rpg of 2018 second try

Don't know how, but seems like to me, I managed to broke the other thread's page, so there's another one for discussion!

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Not really sure how they swung that... though it seems mostly like I can't think of many big releases for 2018 that aren't either already a bit spent on anticipation via crowdfunding in 2017 (ex: Numenera 2), being late (a few in the top ten were supposed to be out already), or are supplements/setting books for existing systems, etc.

That said, it's a double edged sword to be the most anticipated X of Y, because it means the bar you need to pass to become the most disappointing X of Y gets that much higher.

Comment

Yeah, Martin mentioned something about the pressure on FB.

Anyway, it's quite sure that V5 will be THE rpg publication of 2018, for better or worse, it'll be either a big success and comeback to the wider audience, or a pretty spectacular flap. However, the vote was done after two rounds of palytest on three big events and then publicly, so there's that. It might, just might be that people are liking what they see, or at least parts of it and remained hopeful for the whole project in bigger numbers than not.

Also, that it won on enWolrd, which isn't exactly a WoD fansite is still quite a feat.

Comment

Not surprised. These forums have never spoken for the majority of World of Darkness fans.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
          Not surprised. These forums have never spoken for the majority of World of Darkness fans.
          It's not just these forums. From time-to-time I'd happen to look up the official Shadowrun forums. Based on that, you'd think that 5e is a hot garbage, everyone's hating it, the company is ruined, all of it is on a lifeline, etc. That it's basically BAD. According to Icv2? It's the 4th biggest rpg on the market, if I remember correctly, after D&D, PF, and SW... My strong suspect is that few vocal and disgruntled members just made everybody else running away.

Social sites on the internet have the almost inevitable tendency of becoming echo chambers, I believe. It's not a fault of anyone, really, it's just the nature of the thing.
          Last edited by PMárk; 12-18-2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Back on topic: I think the majority of WoD fans are just happy it'll happen and the energy coming off from WW and liked, at least partly, the playtests. Honestly, 80% of the outrage I've seen weer contained to these forums and rpg.net, with a pretty considerable overlap. People on Reddit was more evenly distributed. People on FB were mostly happy. I never heard serious complaining about their LARPS or about the playtests at the events. Everybody attended seems happy (apart from that one person at the grand Masquerade last year on the Q&A and that was even before the pre-alpha).
            Last edited by PMárk; 12-18-2017, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post
              Social sites on the internet have the almost inevitable tendency of becoming echo chambers, I believe. It's not a fault of anyone, really, it's just the nature of the thing.
              Exactly.

And like you said, from here to the rpgnet forums, there is a lot of overlap. I notice a lot of the same forum users on this site and there, posting the same concerns/problems, etc.

Facebook and Twitter seem to tell a different tale.

Now the question is: will White Wolf be able to come through on this popularity?

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post

Facebook and Twitter seem to tell a different tale.
                Don't follow Twitter. So, the reactions were positive over there too?

Now the question is: will White Wolf be able to come through on this popularity?
                That's the million dollar question, I agree. Don't envy the pressure on the WW folks! So much anticipation, so much influence on so many people's lives. It's just not a thing that'll go unnoticed, another rpg in the crowd. They will either get it right and convince the existing fanbase and make it sexy for new players and all their efforts and plans with the whole brand and community stuff will be a great success story, or it will fall. Hard and in a very spectacular way.

I hope it will be the first. The potential is here, the talent and knowledge, IMO is here, even if I don't personally like every part of everything they'd put out so far. It's just depending on so many things. But seeing the anticipation from the fanbase, it's heartening.

Comment

Of course, all of this is based off of ~5,500 people voting on EN World's forum... it's not exactly any more representative of any other gaming forum.

Though WW's Twitter account is pretty sparse. There's not really a lot of discussion there positive or negative.

Out of curiosity... where are you finding anything from ICv2 about WW besides their articles about V5 and W5 coming out eventually?

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                    Of course, all of this is based off of ~5,500 people voting on EN World's forum... it's not exactly any more representative of any other gaming forum.
                    I bet it's a bit more than all the membership count of this forum. 5000 people is quite standard for political polls, at least in my country. Yes, it's just a vote on an (albeit one of the biggest, if not the biggest and not even WoD-centric or even horror-oriented) rpg sites. I won't go so far to say it's representative, since I don't think there's serious methodology behind it, but it shows some things, most of all, a general anticipation from the wider fanbase.

Out of curiosity... where are you finding anything from ICv2 about WW besides their articles about V5 and W5 coming out eventually?
                    I don't think there's anything more about V5 on ICv2. It's not out, after all. Where did that come from? I mentioned ICv2 in relation to Shadowrun.
                    Last edited by PMárk; 12-19-2017, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Is any other major publisher putting out something not by KS in 2018? I mean the only thing I can think of that might even compete is the 40k and they haven't been trying to actively build the hype like NuWW. I Honestly don't see how this is even a contest. I mean even people who don't like what they've seen are anticipating seeing a fuller view.

Comment

I bet it's a bit more than all the membership count of this forum.
                        It's... not even close. I'm sure it's more than "real" membership count (active users with posts, discounting bots, etc.), but the membership count on this forum is significantly higher. There isn't a page to view it, but a user's profile URL has a number that indicates their order of joining. I've seen at least one of those over 20K.

Yes, it's just a vote on an (albeit one of the biggest, if not the biggest and not even WoD-centric or even horror-oriented) rpg sites.
                        It is definitely big. Though it has over twice RPG.net's membership, they have about the same active user counts. I mean, we'd both agree the RPG.net forum's feelings about V5 are very different than EN World's forum, but I'm not sure how you really parse out which is a better view of the general anticipation of the wider community (though RPG.net doesn't have an equivalent poll, and EN World's threads don't seem to show nearly as much preference for V5 from the active users compared to other games on the lists, despite the vote going in a different direction from the active posters).

I don't think there's anything more about V5 on ICv2. It's not out, after all. Where did that come from? I mentioned ICv2 in relation to Shadowrun.
                        Sorry, misread your post.

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                        Is any other major publisher putting out something not by KS in 2018?
                        The more they're considered 'major' the less they're likely to have something on KS, esp. the ones like WW that have financial backing from a parent company (or a profitable other product). WotC, Paizo, FFG, I don't think any of them even do KS.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                          Is any other major publisher putting out something not by KS in 2018?
                          Unless we get something like Cyberpunk 2077 (unlikely given the production speed of stuff over at R. Talsorian), 5e Planescape (even less likely) or that one upcoming book for Starfinder that has Sean Astin and Wesley Snipes as creative directors and writers (not likely that's going to be 2018) I do think that Vampire V is going to be 2018's biggest release.

Comment

I bet it's a bit more than all the membership count of this forum.
                            DEFINITELY more than the active user count of this forum. A lot more, actually.

And like I said, there's a lot of overlap between these forums and the rpg.net forums. So seeing that many people vote with anticipation towards V5 is definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the small(but vocal) minority seen here.

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

It's... not even close. I'm sure it's more than "real" membership count (active users with posts, discounting bots, etc.), but the membership count on this forum is significantly higher. There isn't a page to view it, but a user's profile URL has a number that indicates their order of joining. I've seen at least one of those over 20K.
                              Ok, my bad, I was hasty, I thought about, as you said, real membership, aka, active (even if remotely) human users.

It is definitely big. Though it has over twice RPG.net's membership, they have about the same active user counts.
                              It'll be interesting to see how many people are visiting the sites daily? I guess EnWorld would be bigger, just for the fact, that it's D&D centric.

I mean, we'd both agree the RPG.net forum's feelings about V5 are very different than EN World's forum,
                              The EnWorld forum basically don't have any stance on V5, I think, because the sites main audience just isn't WoD fans (and regular users were surprised at the result, which is somewhat funny, reading posts essentially saying "wow, is Vampire still a thing?"). The fact that it won anyway is telling something.

but I'm not sure how you really parse out which is a better view of the general anticipation of the wider community (though RPG.net doesn't have an equivalent poll, and EN World's threads don't seem to show nearly as much preference for V5 from the active users compared to other games on the lists, despite the vote going in a different direction from the active posters).
                              What I'm seeing and why I believe it's a relevant result is this:

1. they had a poll, other sites didn't

2. the people voting for V5, I don't think are the regular users of EnWorld, since the site's focus. However, it got shared on social media, so it reached the WoD fanbase and they voted. At least that's what I think happened. That's why you won't find the reverse of rpg.net's stance regarding V5 in EnWorld's threads, because it's not really the EnWorld forum crowd's positive stance, vs. the rpg.net crowd's negative stance. I believe it's more likely the wider WoD audience's stance vs. the rpg.ne crowd's. Of course I can't prove it, but that is what I think happened.

Sorry, misread your post.
                              Ah, no biggie!

In conjunction, I must say, these forums, with all the heated arguments and disagreeing, are still a more friendly places than the Shadowrun ones. It's just tyring to read all the whining about technomancers and bashing on the company. I just wanted to point it out as an example about how forum posts aren't really good indicators, since SR5 seems to be going strong (or at least okay), despite all that.

Comment

Working...
                              X