Thinner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinner

So I am writing up a WoD Mafia vs. Gypsies game based in Argentina (Valentina). I am working on a city-map. But if you've ever been to Buenos Aires, I need to create a HUGE city. Thoughts, ideas, why?

Define some cool places, where story happens, while the rest of the city remains background. No source book defines a complete city. You can make some smaller maps, each featuring a few major places and the space in between.

Comment

Why Mafia vs Gypsies?

Comment

I've actually found the Damnation City sourcebook for Vampire: The Requiem to be a help with this, especially it's section on Districts and Sites. Also Block by Bloody Block for Hunter: The Vigil.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Hmm. Curse of the white man from town? Someone will have a lot of fun with that.

As far as the city goes, mostly you just need atmosphere to help people feel like they've moved from one area to another and a handful of specific places. Narratively a city of any size should be just as easy or difficult to create because you only need places interesting enough for your players to go to. So... ala Fate's Dresden Files RPG, enlist your players to help you. Where do they work? What's that place like? Is there someone they know there? Where do they hang out? Where do they meet people?

Even if it's just a name and an archetype or a couple descriptive words it's something to run with that you don't have to do yourself. You can of course add in the areas and people that you know will matter to your story. But why bother describing churches, warehouses, slums, office buildings, etc when you don't even know if they'll come up? And if they do, odds are good you won't have the right level of detail for them anyway. Let the players do a lot of the work for you so all you have to do is fill in a sketch.

Comment

Originally posted by loomer View Post
            Why Mafia vs Gypsies?

One of my friends likes Gypsies and another likes the Mafia. Plus I have OWoD Gypsies and Mafia book. I also have the Hunter's Hunted and V:tM's Player's Guide. Plus I even have OWoD Scorcorer .(there's no spell check for this browser). When I run VtM, I want to run it like Interview with the Vampire and my players tend to turn it into Blade. I used to live there and I know the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanir View Post
              Hmm. Curse of the white man from town? Someone will have a lot of fun with that.

As far as the city goes, mostly you just need atmosphere to help people feel like they've moved from one area to another and a handful of specific places. Narratively a city of any size should be just as easy or difficult to create because you only need places interesting enough for your players to go to. So... ala Fate's Dresden Files RPG, enlist your players to help you. Where do they work? What's that place like? Is there someone they know there? Where do they hang out? Where do they meet people?

Even if it's just a name and an archetype or a couple descriptive words it's something to run with that you don't have to do yourself. You can of course add in the areas and people that you know will matter to your story. But why bother describing churches, warehouses, slums, office buildings, etc when you don't even know if they'll come up? And if they do, odds are good you won't have the right level of detail for them anyway. Let the players do a lot of the work for you so all you have to do is fill in a sketch.
              The problem is I like creating maps of cities and I have a ton of PC game map editors I can use to make cities; but the problem is I will spend days on them until I get another idea, then I go work on that one.

Comment

Working...
              X