Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quotes, songs, Lyrics and phrases for games!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes, songs, Lyrics and phrases for games!

I love how each chapter of different games come with a quote from a song or a poem or what not. So why wont we share some that maybe can be used on the future for other splat books?

Memories of things that never happened
    These are always the hardest to forget
    All the old friends and the loved ones
    These are the people you haven't even met
    Looking forward into the old days
    Looking back at what there will be
    There's no reality it's just an illusion

There's no real sanity just plain confusion
    - Robin Williams, Joan Cusak & Thomas Dolby "The Mirror Song" from Toys.

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

You gotta know the uglier, darker sides of yourself. You gotta recognize them so they aren't constantly sneaking up on you. You gotta love them 'cause they're part of you. Because along with your virtues, they make you who you are. Virtue isn't virtue until it slams up against vice. So consequently, your virtue's not real virtue until it's been tested. Tempted.
    - Det. Frank Pembleton, Homicide: Life on the Street ("A Many Splendid Thing")

This is the sort of thing I consider a cornerstone of the entire World of Darkness.

You express amazement at my statement that "civilized" men try to justify their looting, butchering and plundering by claiming that these things are done in the interests of art, progress and culture. That this simple statement should cause surprise amazes me in return. People claiming to possess superior civilization have always veneered their rapaciousness by such claims ... Civilized nations never, never have selfish motives for butchering, raping and looting; only horrid barbarians have those.
    - Robert E. Howard, in a letter to H. P. Lovecraft, Dec. 5, 1935

Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph.
    - Robert E. Howard, "Beyond the Black River"

Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with he wild spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path.
    - Robert E. Howard, "A Witch Shall Be Born"

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    - Robert E. Howard, "The Towers of the Elephant"

There's a reason Howard is the writer I recommend above all others when it comes to getting the mindset behind Werewolf.

"Future" is inherently plural.
    - William Gibson, All Tomorrow's Parties

One of my foundation quotes for Mage.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

If they ever do a V20 or V5 version of "Chicago By Night", I'd like this quote to be included in the opening....

We were young and you were tugging on my sleeve
      Well, it gets so cold in Chicago
      Maybe someday we will find our own
      But the noise will break it wide open
      Today it's so cold in Chicago

Listen now, as time splits open
      For the moment we have everything
      Maybe someday we will rise above this illusion
      That someday, we won't be here in Chicago

-Chicago (Reprise), Sleep Station

Comment

Some of William Blake's poetry would be appropriate, and I suspect something of Yeats, like "The Second Coming" would fit the setting well. Also there is a haunting poem by Ted Hughes, titled "February."

Comment

My favourite quotes (frasi bellissime sull'amore) for games are:
          Tasted a good life once…needed salt. – League of Legends

I love to read books.

Comment

Once I run a W:tA game based on "russian dead astronauts" urban legend (I even found appropriate recordings). When PCs realised that there's propably a wraith out there (indeed, a Drone) they asked their spirit ally, a Pattern Spider, if he could reach it (they knew that Jimmy, cause that was the name they gave him, can only answer yes or no).

-"Jimmy, can you do it?"
            long pause -"Yes"
            -"Would you do it"
            longer pause -"I don't know."
            -"What's wrong?"
            -"I'm scared"

They still got that spinal tingling when they recall that.

And, from "Needle's Eye" by Die My Darling

"I bite, you bleed
            You crave, I feed
            You cry, I won't
            You die, I don't"
            Last edited by Nail Eater; 07-01-2021, 07:23 PM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
            Saint among the sinners
            Pure among the dirt
            Loser among winners

Comment

Working...
            X