So: What's Next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So: What's Next?

So Wraith 20 is out now, finally completing the commemorative editions for the original five gamelines. Does Onyx Path now get to work on commemorative editions for the likes of Kindred of the East, Hunter: the Reckoning, Mummy: the Resurrection, and Demon: the Fallen? While the “20th Anniversary edition” name has been getting increasingly inaccurate, culminating in Wr20 being more like a 25th anniversary, we're actually approaching the 20th anniversary of Hunter: the Reckoning; and there were a few years between it, Mummy, and Demon; so if they wanted to, they probably could publish all three as actual 20th anniversary editions.

Or maybe the plug gets pulled on the commemorative edition series, and Onyx Path shifts its focus to supporting the One World of Darkness — including “20 years later” updates for the aforementioned gamelines, once the original five have gotten so-called “5th Edition” treatment by ParaWolf.

Thoughts?

Via their Twitter, nuWW has said that they do plan on continuing WoD20 by adding in more gamelines...but the caveat being that not every one of the remaining gamelines will get a 20th Anniversary edition.

-Kindred of the East, from my understanding, neither OPP or nuWW wants to touch it. That because of the cultural baggage surrounding the original, neither want to engage with it.

(aka from my cynical point of view: "We don't know any Asian writers and/or writers knowledgeable in Asian culture")

-When questioned about Hunter: the Reckoning, apparently the nuWW Twitter said it was unlikely because from their perspective, there wasn't enough interest to justify it...which I find odd since from my corner of the Internet, everyone seems to LOVE Hunter. That people would absolutely say yes to another edition. So I dunno about that.

-Mummy: the Resurrection...as I said in the other thread:

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
    My personal impression...I feel out of the remaining gamelines, this is the one that has the least likely chance of getting a 20th Anniversary version. Since most of the conversations I've had with other WoD fans (including people on this site) amount to:

"Yeah, I never read or played MtR...don't really plan on it either."
    -Demon: the Fallen...nah this is the only way that I feel has a pretty good chance of getting 20th Anniversary edition.

Comment

Considering the lack of any news from GenCon of any new 20th core books... I'm rather resigned to the later games not getting the love. My hope is that we might see some sort of combo-book series, where these lines can at least get a decent rules update (they're smaller lines without that many books to collect on the omnibus side of things).

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
        (aka from my cynical point of view: "We don't know any Asian writers and/or writers knowledgeable in Asian culture")
        To the contrary.

It's just that, if we wanted to do a new KotE book, we're not going to rely on the same tropes and stereotypes that the original 1998 release did. We'd pretty much want to do a full bottom-to-top rewrite. But if we did, that would't exactly be what people would want or expect from a 20th Anniversary Edition, would it?

If White Wolf wants to do a new KotE book which retcons KotE to the same degree that KotE retconned the Gaki and Bushi bloodlines, I'd be all for it. But that's much more the sort of thing I'd expect to see in a new edition, and not something which falls under the aegis of the 20th Anniversary Edition releases.

Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager
        Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Rich Thomas commented, when asked about Hunter and Demon 20, that they'd need to be greenlit by WW, but if they were, Onyx Path would love to do them. (This was after GenCon, so... there's still hope.)

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Demon does deserve more love so I'm all for it to be given another chance.

Check out my DriveThruRPG books at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....=Carrie%20Kube

Comment

Demon really could use a compilation, since so many important mechanics (rituals, creation of apocalyptic forms, etc.) were left to the players guide and other books.

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

To the contrary.

It's just that, if we wanted to do a new KotE book, we're not going to rely on the same tropes and stereotypes that the original 1998 release did. We'd pretty much want to do a full bottom-to-top rewrite. But if we did, that would't exactly be what people would want or expect from a 20th Anniversary Edition, would it?

If White Wolf wants to do a new KotE book which retcons KotE to the same degree that KotE retconned the Gaki and Bushi bloodlines, I'd be all for it. But that's much more the sort of thing I'd expect to see in a new edition, and not something which falls under the aegis of the 20th Anniversary Edition releases.
                KotE, Mummy, and Demon all had a common theme. Being spat out of the realms of the dead and back to the lands of the living. Maybe taking them (and possibly Risen) and reworking the whole batch into something new?

But again, that'd be more along the lines of 'new game' than new edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                  Demon really could use a compilation, since so many important mechanics (rituals, creation of apocalyptic forms, etc.) were left to the players guide and other books.
                  The same can be said of Hunter. As well, many of its supplements were 90% atmosphere and 10% rules, making the task of integrating all of the rules into one book much easier.

Comment

If we got Hunter and KotE 20 I'd be happy as heck. Though, I wouldn't want KotE 20 if too many changes were made(which I'm positive would happen).

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

To the contrary.

I don't read Gaki as a bloodline in the original book. They have a wide variety of different strengths and weaknesses even their embrace was different and they had rituals which allowed you to swap sires..

Comment

To the contrary.

What trope and stereotype ? Keeping the balance and hamony in oneself and in the society ? Modernity vs tradition ? The heavy Honk Kong and Japanese film influence, especialy the '70 stuff and John Woo ? The setting that is clearly late '90 where China and South East Asia are a rising power ? Following the Way (Dharma) ? I still not understand how anything here is problematic.

As for a KOTE20, update the Dicipline from the Compagnion and WOD: Blood and Silk. Use WOD : Blood and Silk as an inspiration for a rule update to better align the rules with V20. Put the rules of the 4th Age, 5th Age and 6th Age Shintai in the book, Add the rules for Dhampyr, the Heretical Dharma, an update the setting to reflect the current era. Voila ! KOTE20. No need to retcon anything.
                        If Wraith and Changeling can have a 20th without a Revised edition that haven't retcon anything, I don't see it isn't possible for KOTE20

It is just that OPP is scarred that if they do a KOTE20, it will stir some controversy.

Comment

We really need a Hunter 20... Just imagine how will be now the hunter-net community, for example... In 1999 we didn't have facebook. Smartphones. Tablets. Apps. Well, we didn't have Orkut... Just a e-mail list and a lame hunter-net page... How the Imbued interact now? A Facebook page? A secret App? A hidden page in Deep, or Dark, Net? Hunter was one of the first WOD books to integrate the internet mainstreme to his storyline and canon activelly. Really avant garde... And now 20 years later, the Hunters know what they are? The "classic", signature characters are "wackos" now? Witness, Doctor, Leaf, Rigger... they are dead, crazy or lost? They found some answers?

In a paranoid world like ours, the Hunter theme still is relevant, more than ever... And Hunter have a lot of fans, and a lot of new players will be interested in RP regular people facing the darkness.

The line just need to be upgraded. The original art from corebook, for example, is awful. A more dark, grim tone can pass the right message. The rules need to be revised. A 20th year edition of Hunter can include easily all the sourcebooks materials. And they could follow more themes like the "Urban Legends" sourcebook exposed. Strange events and hidden creatures living in the WoD, things that only the Imbued can see... and fight. This will give a more "personal" tone to the line.

Comment

Urban Legends was basically the Enemy Book for whichever supernatural lines White Wolf had published but hadn't gotten their own Enemy Books. The fun thing is that all of Hunter's supplements were so light on crunch that you could probably roll everything into one book without losing anything substantial. And if not, I wouldn't mind all of the Enemy books (including Urban Legends and First Contact) being rolled together into an H20 companion book.

Comment

I'd love too see a Demon 20th and still have a small naive hope that they could use the opportunity to carry over some of Devil's Due mechanics, similar to what Changeling 20 did with Dark Ages: Fae.

A Torment based system for building apocalyptic forms seemed really interesting, and the taint/pact system fleshed out how much the fallen Depended on mortals for power. My only gripe was how arcana basically undercut the disparity between earthbound and fallen by making them equally powerful at high torment. The lore system could really use some polish to scrub away overpowered/useless mechanics, but the mechanical differences between earthbound and normal fallen fit the blend of religious and lovecraftian themes the setting was going for.

Comment

Working...
                              X