So, is a Raksasha a demon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, is a Raksasha a demon?

I am making some preparations for a character to include in a V5 campaign that I plan to run, and I was making an SPC when I realized I don't know much about the plot when it comes to the Asura in World of Darkness, since there is a sale going on, is there setting or plot information about Asuras or Raksashas in Demon: The Fallen. I know demon is not a perfect translation, but considering how broad vampire is depicted in Beckett:s Jyhad Diary (like the Laibon), I am just checking to see if this pdf is the right buy, or if I need to look at a different line.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
    -Zhuangzi

Demon doesn't deal with Raksashas or Asura.

Not knowing how V5 uses them, in previous editions the Raksasha is one of [Ravnos's] childer, Hazimel, while raksha are the shapeshifting servants of the Yama King Ravana. The asuratziyya are the Wan Kuei, the Kindred of the East

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Okay, thanks, just didn't know where to look.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
      -Zhuangzi

Comment

many Ravnos took it upon themselves to be proper Raksashas and... while ravana is a Yama king well... just look at the name Ravnos... its right there. Just like you can easily meet Set in the Umbra and it has nothing to do with Vampires ... you have plenty of options.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
          many Ravnos took it upon themselves to be proper Raksashas and... while ravana is a Yama king well... just look at the name Ravnos... its right there. Just like you can easily meet Set in the Umbra and it has nothing to do with Vampires ... you have plenty of options.
          On that note, Ravana may be one of [Ravnos's] 4th Gen childer.

Comment

Rakshasha is Hazimel (according to Beckett's Diary)

Ravana is a Yama King which originally was a childe of the Ravnos antediluvian (Cb Rv revised and The 1000 Hells)

- Saga

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

On that note, Ravana may be one of [Ravnos's] 4th Gen childer.
              Actually Ravana was a ghoul and not a childe of Zapathsura.

Wan Gui are more the Asura Rakashas gameline, well that and Hsien, and Hengeyokai.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Actually Ravana was a ghoul and not a childe of Zapathsura.

Wan Gui are more the Asura Rakashas gameline, well that and Hsien, and Hengeyokai.
                The Rakshasa was the one theorised to be Zapathasura's ghoul, per Ravnos Revised; Beckett's Jyhad Diary contradicts that.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

The Rakshasa was the one theorised to be Zapathasura's ghoul, per Ravnos Revised; Beckett's Jyhad Diary contradicts that.
                  I still need to read it. But before the Diary Ravana was a ghoul of Zapathsura who infernalized and eventually conquered his own Hell. Rakshasas are just a type of Demon, said to be children of Ravana. What does the BJD change?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

I still need to read it. But before the Diary Ravana was a ghoul of Zapathsura who infernalized and eventually conquered his own Hell. Rakshasas are just a type of Demon, said to be children of Ravana. What does the BJD change?
                    ...Where're you getting Ravana being a ghoul? It's not in Ravnos Revised, Lore of the Clans or Beckett's Jyhad Diary, all of which agree Ravana was a childe of Ravnos.

Ravnos Revised raises the possibility that the Rakshasa was Zapathasura's ghoul rather than his childe; BJD rules it out, confirming the Rakshasa to be Zapathasura's childe.

Comment

It was in Ravnos revised... there was even a story about Ravana coming back to rub it in everyone’s face that he was now much more powerful due to Yomi.

Comment

So, reading through Ravnos Revised's section on the first brood, the Rakshasa is called out as potentially being a ghoul, and Ravana is one of [Ravnos's] childer. Later on, there's a story where Ravana comes to rub his infernal power in [Ravnos's] face by declaring he can walk in the sun and enjoy earthly delights (which'd be kind of redundant if he was originally a ghoul).

Comment

If I recall correctly they actually mention the Rakshasa as a kind of Nightmare Chimera found in the Dreaming in the Changeling supplement book "Dreams and Nightmares".

For me though I personally enjoy the idea of the Fae being the remnants of the Raksha that were introduced as the Fair Folk in the Exalted settings but that's just my preference.

Comment

Working...
                          X