Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great Egyptian Chronicle (need sourcebook advice)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Egyptian Chronicle (need sourcebook advice)

So, winter is coming, and I'm planning on running "the great Egyptian chronicle" (it is just a working tittle, right now). Basically, the players assume the roles of rogue members of the Cult of Set (followers of Set and converted clans) trying to uncover the truth about their deity.

Thing is, it is much more than a Vampire chronicle, since all other supernatural being want to prevent the characters from acquiring the information they need, and that's why I need advice on other lines source books I should check.

Right now, from WtA, I know about: Rage Across Egypt and Tribebook: Silent Striders (obviously). I'll also check the Mummy books, of course.

But how about Mage, Wraith and the other shapeshifters / Fera books?

Finally, where is the information about the djinn?

Mage: books of Batini and Taftani, and the art of Sobek (Book of Arts).

Wraith: Mummy 2nd edition for the Dark Kingdom of Sand.

The other Fera...the tribe Bubasti in Bastet, some mentions in books of Mokolé, Nagah.

About the djin in The Veil of Night (Dark Ages: Vampire) and Traditionbook revised: Order of Hermes.

Comment

Magus thank you very much!

Comment

Kithbook: Pooka states that the whole "Egyptian God" thing was a social experiment by Pooka that got really out of hand. This is a splatbook and these are Pooka so take it with a grain of salt. However if you really want to give them a truly Nihilistic turn go for it... that the whole thing was a joke by ancient fae tricksters.

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post
          Mage: books of Batini and Taftani, and the art of Sobek (Book of Arts).

Wraith: Mummy 2nd edition for the Dark Kingdom of Sand.

The other Fera...the tribe Bubasti in Bastet, some mentions in books of Mokolé, Nagah.

About the djin in The Veil of Night (Dark Ages: Vampire) and Traditionbook revised: Order of Hermes.

Also Theres the Wheel of Ptah Sept in Caerns places of Power but....not sure thats necessary as the Sept is in Morocco.

Comment

Also, don't forget the whole thing about the Children of Osiris (the Hunters Hunted, I think), that can just jump out siding with whoever tries to damage the Setites (in fact they were more or less sidekicking the Mummies from 1st-2nd edition)

Dark Shores: Lineages of the Great Lakes

Comment

Originally posted by SalamanDer View Post
              Also, don't forget the whole thing about the Children of Osiris (the Hunters Hunted, I think), that can just jump out siding with whoever tries to damage the Setites (in fact they were more or less sidekicking the Mummies from 1st-2nd edition)
              That's for sure, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                Kithbook: Pooka states that the whole "Egyptian God" thing was a social experiment by Pooka that got really out of hand. This is a splatbook and these are Pooka so take it with a grain of salt. However if you really want to give them a truly Nihilistic turn go for it... that the whole thing was a joke by ancient fae tricksters.

I'm still not sure about what nature my own version of Set has. Right now my Set was a deity, punished with humanity after his failed coup. Then Set chose the Embrace (as a possible path to godhood), and started a clan. The clan then became a cult, but Set still lacks true godhood.

From a WtA or a MtA POW it means Set was a Celestine.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Flame View Post
                  I'm still not sure about what nature my own version of Set has. Right now my Set was a deity, punished with humanity after his failed coup. Then Set chose the Embrace (as a possible path to godhood), and started a clan. The clan then became a cult, but Set still lacks true godhood.

From a WtA or a MtA POW it means Set was a Celestine.
                  I had a multi-crossover pet plan for Set and his destiny, would you like to hear it?

Comment

Originally posted by SalamanDer View Post

I had a multi-crossover pet plan for Set and his destiny, would you like to hear it?
                    Sure. Shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Flame View Post

Sure. Shoot.
                      Ok. This delves heavily on Setite's lore (and Mummy's), with a bit of things from other settings as well...

While Set origins are unclear, we can assume he was Embraced and served at behest of a superior being ("Amon" which could well also be "Enoc") he did "fought" Apophis the Corruptor in his first days (or nights). He was a "god" of war and storms, so it was an apt task.
                      Apophis was a sort of metaphysical being from the spirit world of the mythical era and therefore Set creeped "on the other side" of the Veil/Gauntlet/Shroud/Ovenpaper (call it how you want). And fought Apophis there, to the end.
                      How Set managed to go on the other side is up to speculation (I got some clear ideas, but it's food for your chronicle, so decide it yourself) but the sheer strenght of the Antediluvian mixed with whatever anything else he could do, managed to bring down Apophis (which was below a Celestine power level at the time, roughly some more powerful than a Urge Wyrm).
                      And after he bested Apophis, Set tried to take over its power, eating it.
                      How do you eat a spritual being?
                      Consuming his material, his soul.
                      Sounds pretty similar to diablerie? It is.
                      After Set consumed Apophis, a part of Apophis stained Set, giving him with times all the darkness, snakes and corruption traits normally associated to it.
                      While this was taking place, on the material world, the Flood was going on.
                      The "new" Set wasn't the same as before, and actively tricked his siblings in destroying the 2nd Generation.
                      While we don't know what Set was, Osiris came from the same stock of Set, but was Embraced by a 3rd Generation making him way less stronger.
                      Osiris waged a tardive war against Set using his childes, the the Order of Isis magicians, allied with the Bubasti, egyptian Mokolé and Silent Striders.
                      And they failed.
                      Set cursed the Silent Striders (to these days), his Childes destroyed half of the Bubasti and probably many of their Mokolé allies (one of them was even Embraced and unlives to these nights), broke down the magicians of Isis (remember Horus?) and the Antediluvian himself killed Osiris. The victory was overwhelming.
                      This is also why he didn't see that Osiris had been revived as a Mummy. War ensued again. In the process, the Spell of Life was discovered and the Setites created the Bane Mummies. After some skirmishes, Osiris managed to fatally wound Set, before being destroyed another time.
                      Osiris fell in dust, his soul going in the Duat (by now, the local Shadowlands) and Mummy's lore take over about it.
                      Set however wasn't done for. Before falling in Torpor, he creeped on the other side of the reality, in a pocket dimension of the shadowlands he had stole from a Isis magician before killing her.
                      In his long centuries of sleep, the Apophis in Set slowly took over, enforcing is more corruptive side on Set's Childes and from them to the whole Clan. In the meantime the Bane Mummies became more and more indipendent from Setites.
                      In the Final Night (this is take from a Gehenna's scenario), Clan Setite tries to summon him back, seeing this opportunity to free himself of Apophis, Set backfired the summoning ritual and force every officiant to suicide, he devours every undead Soul, gaining enough power to put down once and for all Apophis.
                      But he didn't realize in the long centuries of silent war with Apophis, the ancient being had reshaped Set in an image of himself. He is no more a vampire, by now, but a Celestine-tier being.
                      Rampaging to the Umbra he gradually absorbs many of the entities of the Wyrm that pertains his personal domain. Thus, while he is definitely "of the Wyrm" he actually "break" the Wyrm, taking away a part of his power for himself, creating and managing his own Incarnas, the Nocturnae and many Scrags now answer to him.
                      Half of the Bane Mummies join him, while the other now fight him.
                      The remnants of the Setites (a little angry to their founder) now join the other parties trying to destroy Set.

For the joy of all, Set plans to show up with his full forces on the Last Battleground after the other contestants will kick to each other enough to let him one-up all of them and take the spiritual world for himself (and later, the material one, too).

Comment

SalamanDer I like your stuff on Set. About the diablerie of Apep, specially, I always considered that's the reason the Followers of Set have their signature discipline. The Ancient Egyptian deity had nothing to do with serpents, and it means Serpentis has another source.

Comment

yup, Serpentis has actually three themes
                          Serpents
                          Corruption & Darkness
                          Egyptian-related powers (i.e. the Heart of Darkness and several upper powers)

in my version (yeah, let's call it ret-conning :P ), the first is a legacy of Apep, the second and interaction between Apep and Set, while only the third is related to the original Set.
                          So, the Disciplines of the original Setites didn't actually had Serpentis, but I ascribe them some sort of Fortitude with variant powers that let them use the Heart of Darkness or that one level 9 power that let them walk in plain sunlight...
                          And, the moment Set abandon the Clan, the Setites reverts to their primal set of Disciplines (Fortitude, Obfuscate, Presence)

Comment

SalamanDer That's an interesting retcon. I'm just waiting for DTRPG Halloween Sale so I can (hopefully) buy some of the tittles I need for this chronicle.

Btw, do you know when the sale starts, the 17th maybe? I'm not sure.

Comment

A decent general overview of Egypt in the World of Darkness can be found here.

You can roughly divide the nation's history into a series of periods: Prehistoric (10000+BC - @3000BC), Ancient (@3000BC - @300BC), Ptolemaic (@300BC - @30BC), Roman (@30BC - @600AD), Caliphate (@650AD - 1517AD), Ottoman (1517AD - 1867AD), Colonial (1867AD - 1952AD), and Modern (1952 - present).

Prehistory would primarily be Werewolf related stuff, with the Mokole of the Nile, the ancient Bubasti (and other Bastet), the Nagah*, Anansi, and the Silent Strider tribe (maybe others; it's never really stated, but I like to believe that the Silver Fangs of House Wise Heart didn't show up until the Ancient or Ptolemaic period; the Warders of Man probably in the early Ancient period). It's also most likely when gods walked the earth. Egyptian mythology is sometimes kind of hard to pin down in places, but if you're going with it as a basis, then this would be the period when Osiris, Set, Isis and Nephthys are born from Nut (the sky) and Geb (the earth). And at some point, Set goes from being the badass desert barbarian warrior who helps Ra beat down Apep every night to being the colossal jerkass who murders his brother and waging war against his nephew while making his wife and son (Anubis) hate him. How you play this depends on which game cosmology you prefer. In Vampire, it'd be him turning into one of the undead (either being embraced or whatever alternate theory the diehard fundamentalist Followers of Set subscribe to). In Werewolf, he is seduced/corrupted by the Wyrm/Apep. In Mage, maybe he's one of the first Nephandi or something.

The Ancient period is going to be more of the same, Werewolf-wise, and a large number of Setites from a Vampire point of view. You also see the first Mummies, including Horus, Avenger of His Father. Apparently the Setites are so disliked by everyone that the Mummies, Werebeasts, Mages, and apparently even some ancient Fae forming a loose alliance to oppose them. There are probably some other vampires around as well, with the number of non-Setites only increasing as the period goes on (especially during and after the various invasions by outsiders). There are a bunch of Mage/Sorcerer factions, mostly devoted. to various gods, including Osiris, Sobek, Isis, Thoth, Imhotep, Aten, Seshat, and others. (Most of these you can find mentioned in some of the Mage sourcebooks, including Book of Crafts, and Sorcerer Revised.)

Ptolemaic sees an influx of more vampires (most notably the Alexandrite branch of the Ravnos, who are really big on merchant houses, trade, etiquette and diplomacy). It's also when you start to see the Greek's linking their gods with those of Egypt, including Hermes with Thoth.

The early Roman period is when Set (or what's left of him; his exact status of "dead god" is sort of vague) apparently disappears from Egypt, with his exact place of slumber unknown. At this point, the Setites have likely become a minority in their own homeland, what with Roman, Greek, and Middle Eastern vampires of nearly every Clan ending up in Egypt and building up their own power bases - Ventrue centurions, Toreador priests, Salubri mystics, Assamite magi, Ravnos merchants, Cappadocian necromancers, Gangrel mercenaries, and everything else. The flip side of this is that a lot of Setites also go elsewhere, especially parts of Europe.

The Caiphate period sees the rise of the Ashirra. The group's adherence to Islam means that any Setite who remains devoted to Set and/or one of his cults is an outsider. This probably only stoked the Clan's existing dislike of Aeonic monotheistic religions.

The Ottoman period had a lot of political infighting between the Ottoman sultan and local powers, including various military factions. This is the sort of backdrop where Setites can thrive, sowing chaos and playing various factions against each other in order to weaken their enemies and advance their own interests. (I, personally, like to think that the Warrior Setites get to go around creating their own secretive military cults among the army.)

The Colonial period was probably a goldmine for the Setites. Besides allowing themselves to export their faith to various corners of Europe and the Americas under the fad of Egyptianism, it probably also gave them new opportunities to undermine the authority and power fo the Ashirra. This probably only increased in the modern nights, under Egypt's quasi-military dictatorship.

Regarding djinn, IIRC, the Mage book Lost Paths: Ahl I Batin and Taftini has an entire chapter about them.

Also, if you don't have it, the Cairo by Night book isn't bad.

And, a general list of groups that don't really care for the Followers of Set:
                              • The Ashirra (the alliance of Islamic vampire, for religious and political reasons)
                              • The Ahadi (the alliance of African were beasts, both for religious reasons and ancient blood fueds)
                              • The Web of Faith (the alliance of Muslim Mages created by the Ahl I Batin, for religious reasons, and because Mages generally consider vampires to be jerks.)
                              • The Amenti (the post-Reckoning Mummies; for religious reasons and the ancient blood feud between Set and Horus)
                              Last edited by No One of Consequence; 10-08-2018, 10:24 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                              X