No announcement yet.

Rivals to Pentex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always thought that this was the answer to the Ventrue mystery of the "Hidden Masters." There was no great conspiracy to thwart the clan, they just don't have a monopoly on the idea of supernatural businesspersons.
    Last edited by Reasor; 10-30-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
      I've always thought that this was the answer to the Ventrue mystery of the "Hidden Masters." There was no great conspiracy to thwart the clan, they just don't have a monopoly on the idea of supernatural businesspersons.
      Something like that. And (what an irony) most of the Pentex products are harmless (except for a slight taint, just enough to distract Garou) and most of its employees are innocent humans, who just want to feed their families. And even in Board of Directors humans have majority of votes.
      Last edited by Nail Eater; 10-27-2019, 06:51 AM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
      Saint among the sinners
      Pure among the dirt
      Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Oh that rings a bell was it in book of the weaver?
        Shinzui Industries Also shows up in Apocalypse, at the Weaver Ascendant scenario, where it uses the Machine in order to take over Pentex

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Montgomery "Monty" Coven a.k.a the new Mithras founded Syndexioi, a cybersecurity company which he use to fight with the Ventrue and to search Cainites with no particular sect allegiance. I think it makes Syndexioi Pentex and Technocracy rival either.

Warrior of the Rainbow
          Saint among the sinners
          Pure among the dirt
          Loser among winners

Comment

I'm the farthest thing from an expert on Mage lore, but don't several wings of the Technocracy also have a lot of front companies as part of their war to influence culture and consensus reality?

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
              I'm the farthest thing from an expert on Mage lore, but don't several wings of the Technocracy also have a lot of front companies as part of their war to influence culture and consensus reality?
              Not many have been named, but yes, a number of Union cabals and chantries work as or under the auspices of some sort of front company that advances Union interests. Biotech, advertising, engineering, etc. I think the original Technocracy sourcebooks included a sample business front for each.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Reasor yes. They do. Especially the Syndicate.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

To be honest many of NPCs have their own businesses. And if you ST agrees you could even create a starting character who owns a company so powerful that Pentex will target it for a next takeover.

Edit. I've just found out that Pentex sometimes creates rivals for Pentex deliberately. For example NikNak Computers (a rival of Sunburst).
                  Last edited by Nail Eater; 10-31-2019, 02:35 PM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                  Saint among the sinners
                  Pure among the dirt
                  Loser among winners

Comment

There is of course the firm "Crucible Genetics Amalgamated" (from the Halls of the Arcanum p93)

Comment

Originally posted by babi_gog View Post
                      There is of course the firm "Crucible Genetics Amalgamated" (from the Halls of the Arcanum p93)
                      Oh what was their deal? Alchemists?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

As I recall the Syndicate had some collaboration with Pentex via the Special Projects division (which either allied with Pentex or went its own way.. or possibly both) and the Syndicate tries to keep this fact from leaking out given how it could impact their relations with the rest of the Technocracy.

I suspect some really old Kindred (high end Elders, Methuselah) could probably control economic interests that might rival Pentex. Almost certainly an Antediluvian could if they were inclined to go that route.

I think the issue is that Pentex is powerful because its so diversified from many elements (including ties to Mages as mentioned previously, but also Vampires like the Sabbat and other factions.) whereas alot of the other factions tend to be more singularly focused. If you could amass a similar coalition of like-minded companies it would be much easier to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                          Oh what was their deal? Alchemists?
                          In the main yes - but also experimenting on supernatural creatures.

Comment

I think there's a lot of room to just make up new Wyrm-Corps. You come up with a regular business, have a bane pop up to the CEO/shareholder, and have the Bane offer... I don't know.. A Cancer cure/penis enlargement should the company deliberately do a bad thing.

But, more to the point:
                            Pentex has rivals in normal businesses, and normal businesses do evil shit for money. Being Wyrm influenced is both a pro and a con. Pro's being magical power, potential quality of life increases for the boss, an excuse to take the easy route... Cons being, well, you might just be sabotaging yourself, and you're attracting eco-terrorists. You don't need the Wyrm to be an Evil corperation. you don't need the weaver to be an evil corperation. And a thing with Evil corporations is, well, they might have shares in other evil corporations.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Totally agree with the points of MyWifeIsScary above. Corporations in the real world haven't needed supernatural evil compelling them to create and/or facilitate suffering, tragedy, and calamity. The Bottom Line™ serves perfectly well to motivate people to such acts.

I've often gone back and forth over how to use PENTEX. Ultimately I settle into having PENTEX be a shadowy holding company-conspiracy-oligarchal alliance with its various subsidiaries being more present to provide public faces and setting flavor.

Also given how PENTEX is described as undercutting itself in service of its spiritual patrons, I think having it have plenty of financial rivals makes perfect sense, although the leading corporations aligning to create the best possible market for their own interests is even more likely.

The vast majority of corporations will suffer from Weaver and Wyrm taint to some degree. However that's different from full fledged Weaver- & Wyrm- Corps where the corporation is in a direct alliance with some spiritual entity.

PENTEX might be the most common term for it but I've always considered them to simply be one particularly significant example of a far more widespread phenomena in the World of Darkness.

Comment

Wayland Industries specializes in Bio-weapon research, advanced robotics, and artificial intelligence

Comment

Working...
                                X