X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eldagusto
    started a topic Rivals to Pentex

Rivals to Pentex

So I’ve got a hankering for options. Just like we need more magical Martial Artists then just Akashics (I’ll get to that in another thread) we need more evil weird multi billion dollar Corporations then just Pentex!

So yes we have Pentex.
    D.N.A
    The Giovanni and Friends spread out
    Ventrue Spread out
    SYNDICATE
    Zaibatsu

So I want to add a company drawing on themes from Marvels Exxon Fuel Company and FF7’s Shinra Electric. I got a plan to tie in some other weird Billinaires like King Jupiter Industries, who I’ll ise for some underground entertainment, after they made it big with the Worlds first Reality TV Lifestream the Max Jupiter Show (blatant rip-off if the Truman Show).

But the Energy company I want will, like Roxxon, make plans to Plunder Other realms ( like Dreaming, Umbra, The Underworld) for reasources, and also work to plunder the worlds sacred places, like Shinra, for power. People more knowledgeable then I can you tell me how easily will it be to cover up producing Billions of dollars worth of Energy and materials? Like camouflaging it as normal earthly mines and oil reserves or patented yet super secret zero point energy engines or something? How well can they cover up they get it from a supernatural source. I figure Syndicate knows and probably some have fingers in the pie like with Pentex. But tapping energy from the Umbra, or using SCIENCE to convert emphemera into minerals, how well can you hide producing that if you cheat ruuuuully good?

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Originally posted by babi_gog View Post
    This thread with work done by loomer might also be of help here http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-image-warning
    Yeah, it's great. I believe that he missed a few companies (especially those controlled by mortals) but neverthless it's very useful. And I could fill the gaps myself.

Leave a comment:

• babi_gog
    replied
    This thread with work done by loomer might also be of help here http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-image-warning

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    I think we also all forgot about Orpheus Group (now Lazarus Redux, once JDG Cryogenics), Terrel & Squib and NextWorld. I think that they all could compete with Pentex on many fields (especially because Pentex once had Giovanni vampire among board of directors and, in turn, Orpheus had someone with experience at Magadon among their high ranking workers; I don't recall the name). And of course Shadowlands has so big potential to corrupt.

There's also Hermetic Society of Swift Light, a corax owned courier firm. If you are really in need, you can check character templates from tribebooks/clanbooks/breedbooks etc. I believe I saw at least one company, complete with name and trade, owned by Giovanni (revised clanbook) and two small companies owned by premade characters from Alien Hunger.

And if you use WoD based video games you could also add Genefex (I believe it's not Pentex owned, rather a company which runs transport hubs for other companies)and Fairday Manufacturing, both from Hunter games, Orsi International (A metalurgical company, in 1999 owned by count Orsi, old Ventrue Antitribu) from V:tM Redemption and SunCo Gasoline (propably a chain of gas stations, one of them serving as a heaven for Bertram Tung, a Nosferatu), Metalhead Industries, Megahurtz Computers and Empire Arms Hotels (among many others) from Bloodlines.
    Last edited by Nail Eater; 05-31-2020, 04:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    I’m thinking we could use some Billionaires and tech companies in Changeling. It would be trivially easy for say high ranking Sidhe.

Do we have any mentioned in say Kindred of the East?
    As for KotE check Killing Streets. I remember my friend's campaign during which he used Triple Harmony Insurance Underwriters, a hi-tech startups. He said he took it from KS.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I’m thinking we could use some Billionaires and tech companies in Changeling. It would be trivially easy for say high ranking Sidhe.

Do we have any mentioned in say Kindred of the East?

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
    So things with Pentex subsidiaries and other evil wyrm companies.

1- A lot of the supernatural evil shit they do, they can't be caught.
    Pentex put evil stuff in their products. Banes, spiritual bad bad, occult messages, all -chaotic evil- style.
    The issue is, you can't test for "banes" using science. You can't find that. They'll never get into trouble for it, unless the Technocracy somehow prepare the world for working with this stuff (which they won't)
    A lot of the other Chaotic evil stuff can be blamed on individuals, like putting mystery meat into an O'tolley's burger, you might get some expensive lawsuits but you can't bring a subsidiary down.

2. A lot of the evil shit they do is legal.
    Toxic waste dump? Child labour? Human experiments? Institutional abuse? Just go lobby the goverment to make that stuff ok.

3. The only real evil stuff you can catch them out on is the stuff that everybody else does in the world of darkness... Tax evasion, money laundering, insider trading, excess pollution; Just bribe or lawyer your way out of it, only a few underfunded nutjobs will come at you for that kinda thing.
    1. The thing is that Pentex is composed of about 30 lesser companies many of which in turn are composed of lesser companies. If one gets into trouble the rest will propably help it. They can be hurt (in White Wolf Magazine #39 was an adventure Night of Rage during which a Magadon factory could be destroyed), they can be caught doing something PROPABLY illegal (in Project Twilight adventure a young chemistry student is mentioned; he found some strange formulas in some of Pangloss products). I think that some parts of Pentex could be even brought down only to be acquired by other Pentex companies (white wolf wiki on Pentex subject mention that Harold&Harold Mining was bought by Endron). Buying off Pentex is possible (in one of Apocalypse scenarios Pentex is bought by Weaver company). Destroying it? Not likely. You have to remember that almost any of Pentex companies is the third in the world on its field. So even Garou (and better, their Kinfolks) uses their stuff. And I think that most of their stuff is harmless (that's why Simon's family are mortals), they could create fomori if used too often and in combination with other Pentex products (like in "Batman"; the one by Burton, Siren Cosmetics products are an exception and I think it's wrong). They have (or should have) two little effects: the users are slightly tainted (mortals and Kinfolks alike) so Wyrm Sense is tingling and is overloaded (that's why cities smell Wyrm mostly) and could have side effects. Most Magadon products could cause dog allergy. The good thing of that is twofold: most of Garou friends use at least one of Magadon products, they start to scratch when Garou is near so they will try to avoid him and, because most people use them and also begin to scratch, Garou could be easily sigled out in a crowd. Look at Circinus cigarettes: they aren't more harmful than any others. But if you try to quit you most likely go to Smoker's Bane and that's where you could become Sicklung (Freak Legion). Besides creating world composed of fomori takes decades and will be too visible for Pentex standards

2. Highly unlikely. There is some level of corruption that even public opinion won't accept. But there are many ways legal (as with the car park I mentioned above) that could harm Gaia. Look at the example mentioned in Subsidiaries Pentex: Magadon builds a hospital in a poor region of Africa. People (even in The rest of the world) are happy. Than they say:
    "We could build 10 more but your governement won't allow our friends from Harold & Harold strip mining in your country. Those bastards! They don't want you to live comfortably".
    And after the next election a more Pentex friendly people will rule. Or there could even be a revolt. You also could read/watch "Dogs of war" for an inspiration.

3. Basically yes, but there are many ways Pentex could be harmful and legal (just like car park example). The only way it could be stopped is by the media. But even then it could be avoided. First of all Pentex products are almost neccesary in modern world. Second they have a good PR teams. Third they also fund Gaia Research Company (an "independent" PR/research company Pentex uses to bolster claims of civic responsibility) and some fringe, violent ecoterrorist to give Greenpeace, WWF and Children of Gaia a bad name. Fourth people in World of Darkness are pathetic apatic couch potatos (mostly... hell, just like IRL) who don't want to know and react. C'mon, how many of you send checks to some eco foundation? When was the last time you protest against something Gaia unfriendly thing, even by leaving a comment in the Web or sending a letter to the press? You helped by buing original W:tA products: 3% of profit was send to some wolf friends organization. And the last argument that could be used: Kathryn Mollett from Pentex Board of Directors can't lie. It makes her a perfect weapon in media (or an albost ultimate tool of Pentex destruction). Imagine a press conference in any world wide media (back to the car park example):

"Miss Mollett, why don't you use your own fleet to transport your employees? Also you discourage carpooling by giving financial bonuses to employees who rides to work alone? You know it's bad for environement."
    "Yes, I know. But it cannot determine the life of humanity. As we all know accidents happens. If we use mass transport or carpool our employees we could lost a few of them in such accident, even if temporarily. Then we need the new ones. Before they will learn they could make mistakes. And that means flawed products. Do you want to take pills made by experienced or unexperienced? And you know our standards are high. We allow of course our people to travel together. Also, to help keep our home clean we also have a discount for employees who wants to buy an electric propelled car."

Don't you buy it?
    This cars are of course from Falcon Motors. But they aren't popular because if you get one you will loose engine capacity multiplier. If you want more read the last part of Rage Across NY adventure ideas (the one with dr. Draggerunter show).
    Last edited by Nail Eater; 05-31-2020, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MyWifeIsScary
    replied
    So things with Pentex subsidiaries and other evil wyrm companies.

1- A lot of the supernatural evil shit they do, they can't be caught.
    Pentex put evil stuff in their products. Banes, spiritual bad bad, occult messages, all -chaotic evil- style.
    The issue is, you can't test for "banes" using science. You can't find that. They'll never get into trouble for it, unless the Technocracy somehow prepare the world for working with this stuff (which they won't)
    A lot of the other Chaotic evil stuff can be blamed on individuals, like putting mystery meat into an O'tolley's burger, you might get some expensive lawsuits but you can't bring a subsidiary down.

2. A lot of the evil shit they do is legal.
    Toxic waste dump? Child labour? Human experiments? Institutional abuse? Just go lobby the goverment to make that stuff ok.

3. The only real evil stuff you can catch them out on is the stuff that everybody else does in the world of darkness... Tax evasion, money laundering, insider trading, excess pollution; Just bribe or lawyer your way out of it, only a few underfunded nutjobs will come at you for that kinda thing.

Leave a comment:

• Dezeroth
    replied
    another easy and obvious one is the SCP Foundation and it's numerous subsidies that make it a profitable business, strangely, they are the only organization that only has humans as their upper leadership. they prioritize capturing and containing or neutralizing the most dangerous supernatural beings or things first

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    On some level Corday Records, a Toreador (propably) owned, Boston (propably) based recording company (from Vampire Storyteller's Screen 2nd edition) could be a rival to Registered Artist Worldwide (from Freak Legions).

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Originally posted by Dezeroth View Post

not really, I went for an easy one in case someone had a game running and hadn't thought of something obvious
    Explanation accepted 😉.

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
    Totally agree with the points of MyWifeIsScary above. Corporations in the real world haven't needed supernatural evil compelling them to create and/or facilitate suffering, tragedy, and calamity. The Bottom Line™ serves perfectly well to motivate people to such acts.

I've often gone back and forth over how to use PENTEX. Ultimately I settle into having PENTEX be a shadowy holding company-conspiracy-oligarchal alliance with its various subsidiaries being more present to provide public faces and setting flavor.

Also given how PENTEX is described as undercutting itself in service of its spiritual patrons, I think having it have plenty of financial rivals makes perfect sense, although the leading corporations aligning to create the best possible market for their own interests is even more likely.

The vast majority of corporations will suffer from Weaver and Wyrm taint to some degree. However that's different from full fledged Weaver- & Wyrm- Corps where the corporation is in a direct alliance with some spiritual entity.

PENTEX might be the most common term for it but I've always considered them to simply be one particularly significant example of a far more widespread phenomena in the World of Darkness.
    100% agree. In my games Pentex is almost unbeatable because basically it doesn't do anything evil. Of course it could even loose financially to hurt Mother Gaia (they will compensate the losses by using it's factories in Scar) but they cannot be accused of any wrongdoings. P. ex. some Pentex company has 3 times bigger car park than the others from this area (the production building is the same prefabricated ugly cube their competitors use only the car park is bigger). Why you ask? You propably know that many firms have transport fleet for their employees (buses etc.). Some other promote carpooling. This one doing the opposite: they give their employees bonuses for coming with their own cars not taking their colleagues. For example 10$ per month multiplied by number of free seats multiplied by engine capacity. Is it bad for environement? Certainly. Is it profitable? No, but it could be compensated. Is it illegal? I doubt it. Add bonuses for being a loyal Pentex subsidiaries customer (and they can be really really big):

Simon A. Mann goes shopping to Herrick's after his shift at DFG. There he buys Avalon doll for his daughter, Tellus FPS and Sunburst mouse for his son and Vesuvius Publishing book for his other daughter. Then he buys King beer and Circinus cigarettes for himself, Pangloss lipstick for his wife. He knows that they are safe, Aesop Research Company tested them. To feed his family he buys some tuna from Hallahan fishing and Young&Smith INC. bread and butter. He also buys new Rainbow tires for his car. He's a happy man, the discount is so big and he didn't even need to carry a big photo album with coupons. He's of course a proecological man: he packs his stuff to Good House paper bag and takes it to his electrically propelled Falcon Pathfinder. Kids are hungry so the happy family goes to O'Tooleys. Then he goes to the Endron Oil gas station. It's the tornado season so he needs some fuel for his emergency generator. He pays less because his salary comes to the Consolidex Worldwide bank account. After that they all visit his father, a legless Desert Storm veteran (his Nastrum fighter was shot down over Baghdad) in Autumn Health Management System nursing home. His father gets the care for free because Simon is a Vesuvius newspapers subscriber. They will also visit his other son. He is currently at Homogenic. He's gay and this is inexcusable sin for a true patriot's son (and Simon is a patriot, he fought for his country, so does his father and grandfather and of course he buys american). It's certainly that Spooky Tooth heavy metal band's fault. Maybe this new RPG from Black Dog will help him. Yes, he has four children, thanks to Conceptual Services. Then he goes home, build in the suburbs of Jackson, MS by High Quality Builders. He could afford it because there was Omni TV subscription bundle and thanks to the company he works for his electricity bill from Atlas is much lower. There he meets his buddy from the Army, Joseph Grant. They fought together during Iraqi Freedom. Joe is a gunsmith and he repaired Simon's old hunting rifle made by Herculean. He needs it cause there was some bear/Big Foot sightings nearby. He also notices that Ardus Waste Management took his trash finally. After a little workout with Dr. Veridan workout program (as any Serpent Brother and Tau Upsilon Phi member would do) and a dose of Magadon vitamine supplement he sits on a couch. "This will be a good evening" he thinks. First there will be a new episode of "Concrete Dreams" (Omni TV exclusive), then Friday Fight Night, pay per view Extreme Wrestling Warfare show, after that NASCAR ("this new Endron Sponsored driver, car #77, Samuel Ross is the embodiement of American Dream; hope he won't kill himself on the track like those two last guys who forgot that this car is so fast") and then "Slayer XIV", new Slaughterhouse horror. And if he won't fall asleep he could also watch Pigeon River Howlers concert on RED TV (he always liked bluegrass). "Tomorrow I have to remember to send this month charity checks to Save Our Schools society and The Fellowship, they do so much good for every children in the States". Yup, this was a good day. And yes, Simon and his family could smell like Malfeas and still could be a normal, mortal family. Could you kill Simon, his wife Annie and his kids: Grace, Faith and little Johnny, Biff (Big Intimidating F*****g Fenrir)?

My girlfriend says that you should watch "99 Francs" as an inspiration. She graduated Art School with major in applies art so she knows what she's talking about. And a Cini Minis commercial (I don't know if it is aired in your country), the one with canibalistic allusions.

https://youtu.be/TGRf_UAGlDg

And now use your imagination 😈.
    Last edited by Nail Eater; 05-30-2020, 08:34 PM. Reason: My girlfriend's suggestions

Leave a comment:

• Dezeroth
    replied
    Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post

Did you even try to be creative?
    not really, I went for an easy one in case someone had a game running and hadn't thought of something obvious

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Originally posted by Dezeroth View Post
    Wayland Industries specializes in Bio-weapon research, advanced robotics, and artificial intelligence
    Did you even try to be creative?

Leave a comment:

• Dezeroth
    replied
    Wayland Industries specializes in Bio-weapon research, advanced robotics, and artificial intelligence

Leave a comment:

Working...
X