Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sexuality in the WoD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sexuality in the WoD?

    For all that the World of Darkness supposedly makes sexuality a part of the game experience, how often does sexuality factor into the games?

    I mean in both the game material as written, and the game material as actually played. It doesn't need to go into detail, but how often does it appear at all? For example, I ran a Nosferatu vampire who had been a porn star and was embraced against his will. I remember at least one character (NPC) in the Book of Chantries being described as former sex worker. There is an entire mage Tradition devoted to the insights gained through pleasure, and that includes - but is not limited to - sexual pleasure. Vampires are sexual predators. And so on...

    But for all of that, how often does sexuality factor into the games?

  • #2
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. It feels kinda like you're talking more about sex (aka actions) rather than sexuality (aka identity and preferences). How much does sex come up in my game is an extremely different question from how much does character sexuality come up in my games.

    Comment


    • #3
      A bit of both. That is, how often does someone make a LGBTQ character for a game? How often do players say their character is having sex? How do you feel about sexuality being presented in the book?

      Comment


      • #4
        For me, sexual activity tended to be done in blue-booking, just because most groups weren't all that interested in watching one member of the group act it out. As for LG+ characters, I don't usually play them that often. But when playing a gay male character, it's usually like fifth or sixth on the list of distinguishing traits, at best. I had a Ventrue where it tied into his feeding restrictions, but he'd been a closeted young Ivy league banker back in the 50s in life. By the turn of the millennium, his issue tended to be that he was a little uncomfortable with just how open most of the clubs he hunted at were. But I am probably atypical in many ways.


        What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
          A bit of both. That is, how often does someone make a LGBTQ character for a game? How often do players say their character is having sex? How do you feel about sexuality being presented in the book?

          Every time someone makes a vampire or as of v5 a vampire of a certain low level of humanity since vampires don't have a sex drive? So they are all Asexual but might be on a romantic scale.

          Comment


          • #6
            LGBTQ+ characters are extremely common in my games... but a good portion of my regulars fall in there somewhere so that probably influences things. A good number of the WoD games also put some psychological pressure towards not being binary in a number of ways.

            How often characters have sex (either on or off screen) varies wildly. Most WoD games don't put sex up front as something characters do regularly... unless they're built that way. There's no 'you have to be boinking folk,' default splat in the games, but there are plenty of groups where sex is clearly a regular activity members engage in. There's a lot of sex in most WtA games... because they need to have kids to make more Garou; even if 99% of it is just, "we're done questing and back home, the pack members with human kin spouses go do their thing." WtO is probably the game I see the least sex in because... well... wraiths aren't likely to care about having sex with each other, and crossing the Shroud for it isn't exactly something you see much of unless it is extremely specifically part of a character's deal.

            Sexuality should totally be presented in the books... it's part of our identities and thus our characters' identities. There's a lot of good story in sexuality, but it needs to be handled with a bit of care, making it all the more important for the books to make you think a bit about it before tossing things in for giggles.

            Comment


            • #7
              Wraith actually had an entire book devoted to romance. I can't recall how much it had to say about sex/eroticism, but because the restless dead are so heavily bound up in their passions, it's natural for them to develop those kinds of relationships, among themselves or with the living.


              What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                For me, sexual activity tended to be done in blue-booking, just because most groups weren't all that interested in watching one member of the group act it out. As for LG+ characters, I don't usually play them that often. But when playing a gay male character, it's usually like fifth or sixth on the list of distinguishing traits, at best. I had a Ventrue where it tied into his feeding restrictions, but he'd been a closeted young Ivy league banker back in the 50s in life. By the turn of the millennium, his issue tended to be that he was a little uncomfortable with just how open most of the clubs he hunted at were. But I am probably atypical in many ways.
                Pretty much like this.


                If nothing worked, then let's think!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  LGBTQ+ characters are extremely common in my games... but a good portion of my regulars fall in there somewhere so that probably influences things.
                  Probably...

                  A good number of the WoD games also put some psychological pressure towards not being binary in a number of ways.
                  I never felt that, like, ever. I'm straight but never even felt that vampires feeding on members of the same sex as theirs pushes it too obviously, if you don't want to deliberately give it those undertones. Though I don't mash feeding and sex together. Both are sensual, but not the same and for feeding, it's about the blood and not the vessel, usually, at least in my eyes.

                  Otherwise, I think WoD games put pressure on not being normal, on being an outsider, non-comformist, not of the masses. Being non-binary, or cis, or whatev is just an aspect of that, among many.


                  If nothing worked, then let's think!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PMárk View Post
                    Probably...
                    Yeah. Though not nearly as a 1:1 thing. I've found more diversity in my groups leads to people trying characters more significantly different from themselves after a few games of people getting comfortable as a social group. There's more thinking about these aspects of characters and how they can inform parts of their lives without it just being about RPing sex, and more comfort playing outside of themselves from getting to know people like what they'll be playing to model after.


                    I never felt that, like, ever.
                    Perhaps you're reading me a bit too narrowly there. There's a lot of aspects of sexuality, not just bi and trans.

                    Both are sensual, but not the same and for feeding, it's about the blood and not the vessel, usually, at least in my eyes.
                    So... there's psychological pressure towards not being binary in this way?

                    Otherwise, I think WoD games put pressure on not being normal, on being an outsider, non-comformist, not of the masses.
                    True, but we're talking about sex and sexuality.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PMárk View Post

                      Probably...



                      I never felt that, like, ever. I'm straight but never even felt that vampires feeding on members of the same sex as theirs pushes it too obviously, if you don't want to deliberately give it those undertones. Though I don't mash feeding and sex together. Both are sensual, but not the same and for feeding, it's about the blood and not the vessel, usually, at least in my eyes.
                      .

                      Until V5 no one but the thinnest bloods has sex drives. I think the Toreador book went over this most explicitly in Revised. Yes you can have sex. But is a waste of blood. That's all it will ever be to a kindred. You spend some blood. You may get some emotional investment the intimacy BUT the physical stuff is well gone. Feeding and Being Fed from are the only equivalent feelings a kindred will ever feel going forward. As an Ace myself This is one of the things that really sold vampire to me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think for vampires it's a way to try to hold on to Humanity, but probably not the best way.


                        What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                          I think for vampires it's a way to try to hold on to Humanity, but probably not the best way.

                          Probably the worst way since it costs you blood. Which requires more feeding which leads to more issues.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            No, the worst way is Saulot's self help book, 7 Nights to a More Humane You.


                            What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah, but he ripped that off from articles about sex from Playboy and Cosmo.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X