What would you want from a WoD show?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvilTyger View Post
    I remember in Babylon 5, during Season 1, G'Kar was almost a Villian, and Londo was a sympathetic looser. By the end of the series, they'd gone and completely reversed that.

Ie, for Vampire I'd want something similar. The 'villian' at the beginning being an Anarch Vampire. The Sheriff is after him. by the end, the Anarch has saved a number of others from the plotting of the Sheriff.
    I would prefer that a World of Darkness TV series would have no outright / designated villains in the first season ; and maybe also not in the second season. Any antagonisms and conflicts would be due to the characters competing to achieve their particular goals, viewpoint and philosophical differences, and disagreements as to what methods and means to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
      I would prefer that a World of Darkness TV series would have no outright / designated villains in the first season ; and maybe also not in the second season. Any antagonisms and conflicts would be due to the characters competing to achieve their particular goals, viewpoint and philosophical differences, and disagreements as to what methods and means to use.
      Kinda what I was getting at. Neither Londo nor G'Kar were heroes or villians in particular. You just slid from rooting for the lovable oaf against the arms dealer and into switching sides as the series progressed, as characters grew and changed and the audience learned more about them

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post
        So, I'm saying a VtM series would be either a watered-down version of VtM, with Vampire Diaries-like characters and it would be awful, or it'd do justice to the game, would be a fan-favorite and critically acclaimed (with the usual grumblings on the side of being too edgy), but wouldn't get past the first season.
        Out of curiosity, have you ever seen Kindred: The Embraced?

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Out of curiosity, have you ever seen Kindred: The Embraced?

I know about it, but never seen it. It wasn't aired in Hungary and I never really had the incentive to buy it online.

Wasn't it precisely in the "acclaimed, but a bust" category?

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

It was kind of a mixed bag. Essentially conceved as 'mafia soap opera with fangs', there were only 5 clans, Brujah all but indistinguishable from Ventrue, vampires able to walk in sunlight IIRC, all the Nosferatu looked alike, a neonate on the city's Primogen council, and the sight of an ancient tome on vampires that includeyd Tim Bradstreet artwork. But it was not without its moments, and some of the cast showed promise. It was what used to be called a "mid-season replacement", so only 8 episodes were made, and despite good ratings, FOX didn't want to renew it. Then the lead actor died in a tragic accident and that was that.

It can probably be found online somewhere.
            Last edited by No One of Consequence; 01-04-2019, 10:30 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

It was kind of a mixed bag. Essentially conceved as 'mafia soap opera with fangs', there were only 5 clans, Brujah all but indistinguishable from Ventrue, vampires able to walk in sunlight IIRC, all the Nosferatu looked alike, a neonate on the city's Primogen council, and the sight of an ancient tome on vampires that includeyd Tim Bradstreet artwork. But it was not without its moments, and some of the cast showed promise. It was what used to be called a "mid-season replacement", so only 8 episodes were made, and despite good ratings, FOX didn't want to renew it. Then the lead actor died in a tragic accident and that was that.

It can probably be found online somewhere.
              Well, based on that, it checked both the "not doing justice to the source material" and "not being successfull" boxes then.

Honestly, was it a good show, unppreciated at the time, or we are just happy for the completely nerdy reason of it namedropping VtM stuff?

Comment

I remember when it first aired being really annoyed at how much it deviated from the source material. But at the time, I was 20 years old and a super-purist fanboy. In hindsight, largely based on the one episode I found on an old VHS tape 15 years ago, it was not without its strengths as far as some of the cast went. But for the most part, it's kind of a weird period artifact. I think the biggest problem is that no one really had any idea how to do a show like that at that time period (the people doing The X-Files might've come closer). And since it was done by Aaron Spelling and his production company - the same people who were doing Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place, would go on to do Charmed and 7th Heaven, and who had previously done Dynasty, The Love Boat and Charlie's Angels - I don't think it ever even crossed their minds to do anything other than a prime time soap opera with some thriller elements mixed in with it. These days, such a thing would certainly be done better and more in keeping with the mood of the game. But one can never be certain. A disturbingly high number of powerful people in Hollywood are, quite frankly, idiots. Writer Dean Koontz has frequently talked about his dealings with such people when it comes to having his books adapted. His story about Twilight Eyes is the sort of thing that would make a good comedy film.

Comment

Some more characterful and impressive Effects that Technocrats could display in a TV show :
                  Fully disguiseable cybernetics, especially cybernetic arms that would have some kind of device, communicator, or mini-computer in them. The opening and closing of them so sleek and fast that it could be said to be a mockery of what mundane humans can't do. They could also be modifable by Technocrats in the field, within moments or minutes.
                  Accessing, manipulating, and Interfacing with technology through flexible wires coming out of the body. Would take a few moments at most, and of course it would apply to any technology or machines.
                  Resisting and countering Mystic Magick with pills or injections ; different ones for countering different Spells.
                  Personal and stationary force fields. Ones that glow with shimmering colors, and have swirling abstract and geometric shapes in them.
                  Last edited by Muad'Dib; 01-08-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                    Accessing, manipulating, and Interfacing with technology through flexible wires coming out of the body. Would take a few moments at most, and of course it would apply to any technology or machines.
                    That is very doable for a show, even on a budget, given that The Orville already has this as part of its FX set. (Clearly the show is part of a plot to make such a thing coincidental.)

Comment

These days, such a thing would certainly be done better and more in keeping with the mood of the game. But one can never be certain.
                      I think The Originals might be the closest to that.

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post

I think The Originals might be the closest to that.
                        I've never seen it, I'm afraid. Once the Twilight/True Blood wave hit, I was burned out on vampires and only just now getting over it. Tho I've heard good word of mouth about it.

Comment

Writer Dean Koontz has frequently talked about his dealings with such people when it comes to having his books adapted. His story about Twilight Eyes is the sort of thing that would make a good comedy film.
                          Do you have any sources at hand? This sounds intriguing.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
                            Do you have any sources at hand? This sounds intriguing.
                            https://www.deankoontz.com/twilight-...om-the-author/

Comment

I'd base it on Vampire 1E and set it in the backdrop of the original Chicago by Night.

I'd also explicitly avoid any of the awful metaplot changes from Revised or V5, and make the show a 1990's period piece to pacify the metaplot purists.

Comment

Originally posted by Camilla View Post
                                I'd base it on Vampire 1E and set it in the backdrop of the original Chicago by Night.

I'd also explicitly avoid any of the awful metaplot changes from Revised or V5, and make the show a 1990's period piece to pacify the metaplot purists.
                                The only real issue with period pieces is that it adds to the production budget.

As far as setting goes, Chicago would be a good one, but may not be the easiest (or most cost effective) for filming. 🤔

Comment

Working...
                                X