H20 for 2019?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would each of you do it? Here are my thoughts:

There needn't be anything epic to kickstart the Imbuing. The Hunters themselves *are* the Reckoning. The arrival of these beings stirred things up on its own.

If you do need an epic event, it could be the Evanescence (C20) or its own thing: a slow glimmer of angelic power responding to the human tragedies around the turn of the millennium (or responding to millennial fervour itself). The escape of the Fallen from Hell would probably count too, or the new Spell of Life, or the Week of Nightmares-Lite from Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Using the dark web for communication would present its own moral quandaries. Hunters would be within easy reach of perverts, contract killers, drug dealers, etc. What's the impact of being so close to human sin? How many curious Hunters would get sucked into things that are monstrous in a very different way? Maybe that's why Hunters are now intervening in human evils, too--as a way of making amends for the fallen Imbued.

More widely, how has the rest of society responded to the Imbued? They're basically vigilantes. The Technocracy would surely be keeping tabs on them. And wouldn't they be interested in the possible links between the Superego (or the Psychopomps, even) and the Messengers? I could see Technocrats trying to subtly control the Imbued by distributing weapons and tech through human subsidiaries, then directing them at their enemies.

In response, the Imbued would become even more paranoid. For all they know, they're being targeted by shady government conspiracies, not wizards.

And what of the Messengers themselves? Have they slowed down? Have the Ministers who command them withdrawn or become more present? Are the Imbued more or less numerous than they were as a result?

Well, I've been reading Exalted v WoD recently, which didn't quite hit the mark for me, but it got me thinking. I like the idea that the Imbued are a similar sort of entity, even if Exalted is more of an alternate universe. Maybe the Imbued came about because the escape of the Fallen freed the Exaltations which were imprisoned directly above Hell. Maybe they're just echoes of beings that existed on another layer of reality a la the cosmology of the Fallen.

I'd probably also do what C20 did with DA:F and connect the histories of DA: Inquisitor and H:TR with some mechanical mirroring. Some of the more interesting elements from Inquisitor could show up in Hunter, like Unleashing popped up in C20.

As for the old Inquisitor societies, have they become the Society of Leopold? Or are they part of what will, after the timeline of Beckett's Jyhad Diary, become the Second Inquisition? What do these militants think about so-called 'humans' with magic powers doing their job for them? There's some really interesting conflict that could be had--especially if the remnants of the Secret Inquisition believe the Imbued died out once before because they squandered their duties.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
      How would each of you do it?
      Hmm.

Hunter20 would cover all 9 creeds as well as Bystanders, but the level 5 edges would be in a separate chapter in the back that discussed how Imbued actually reach that level (the stuff from Fall From Grace). Hunter.net would be protected by the Messengers to prevent it from being accessed or even readable to those who aren't Imbued (there would be very rare exceptions to this involving Bystanders and the once in a blue moon supernatural being, entirely as the result of the Messengers manipulating the Imbued for their own ends). There would be a number of possible Imbued groups and organizations, designed with the idea that people can pick and choose which ones they want and ignore the others to customize their set up. And of course rules for making monsters and discussion of what the Messengers may or may not be.

The Survival Guide would delve into what it means being essentially an outlaw, revolutionary and criminal in modern society, either going totally underground/off the grid or trying to maintain the illusion of a normal life. Also a massive amount of weapons and tactics, dirty tricks and things like strong holds, personal cults of personality (I forget the one character from Martyr who had one), and all of the optional organizations in the core book fleshed out and detailed, as well as guidelines and suggestions for creating your own. Stuff about the Inquisition, Arcanum and various Twilight Agencies. And probably a look at Hunters around the world if that isn't already in the core book.

The Book of Virtues would delve into each of the Creeds, including Bystanders, with multiple alternate Edges, possible Creed specific organizations, character concept suggestions for each, and a bunch of remade NPCs one can drop into a chronicle if you wish.

The Monster Manual (not actually called that) would delve into all the different monster types, with chapters on the Walking Dead, Ghosts/Haunts, Bloodsuckers, Werebeasts, Witches, Goblins (or Aliens, depending on what individual imbued believe), Demons, Mutants, Conspiracies/Urban Legends, and the Human Monster (serial killers, organized crime, etc.), with a bunch of new powers and building options for each, and probably a half dozen examples from each section.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
        Well, I've been reading Exalted v WoD recently, which didn't quite hit the mark for me, but it got me thinking. I like the idea that the Imbued are a similar sort of entity, even if Exalted is more of an alternate universe. Maybe the Imbued came about because the escape of the Fallen freed the Exaltations which were imprisoned directly above Hell. Maybe they're just echoes of beings that existed on another layer of reality a la the cosmology of the Fallen.
        Fun fact: Exalted was originally conceived as being the Hunter historical game. This obviously changed during the development of the first edition core book, but such was the original idea.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Fun fact: Exalted was originally conceived as being the Hunter historical game. This obviously changed during the development of the first edition core book, but such was the original idea.
          Yes, I remember that, and that's sort of what I expected from Exalted v WoD. Hunter could be enriched by weird echoes from Exalted and Inquisitor.

Comment

IIRC Hunter Apocrypha had several mentions of what can be interpreted to be the Solars. (I'd like to think that H20 would include the full text of Apocrypha.)

Comment

IIRC Hunter Apocrypha had several mentions of what can be interpreted to be the Solars. (I'd like to think that H20 would include the full text of Apocrypha.)
              That would be cool.

Comment

Even funner fact: According to developer Mike Lee, Demon: the Fallen was originally developed as a supplement for Hunter. After realizing how cool it could be, Demon was spun off into its own game line.

Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast
                Unbuttoned History - A History Podcast with Jokes

Comment

Working...
                X