Looking for Storytellers with Mage/Demon/Mummy/Hunter Crossover Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Storytellers with Mage/Demon/Mummy/Hunter Crossover Experience

I'm one of the cohosts of Mage: The Podcast and am doing a series on crossovers. I'm looking for storytellers with experience running crossovers between mage and Demon/Mummy/Hunter (any). If you have and would like to be on the podcast, please message me so we can arrange a recording. Ramnesis and I did one on Wraith that should be going out in the next few weeks.

I use a broad definition of crossover which includes any level of contact with the other system such that both systems were used. So if you used sphere magic in your Demon chronicle or introduced Edges to your antagonists in your Mage chronicle, I'd love to hear.

What I'd be curious to hear:
    1) Basic theme, mood, and goals of the system
    2) Information on how a character of that supernatural type works
    3) How the lore or metaplot interactions with Mage
    4) Opportunities for crossover and cooperation
    5) Plot hooks involving the other system.

Thanks!

I deal with this for an online game that I'm running (but haven't taken live past some test players while I work out kinks), so I like to think that I have experience with that. I will say that I'm not an expert, however. Now, with that said, I'm not going to disclose more about the game. 1. I'm pretty sure that would be against the forum's rules. 2. Even if 1 isn't correct, until we're good and ready, there's no point in exposing it. I'd be happy to try to help to what limited capacity I can, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Vil View Post
      I deal with this for an online game that I'm running (but haven't taken live past some test players while I work out kinks), so I like to think that I have experience with that. I will say that I'm not an expert, however. Now, with that said, I'm not going to disclose more about the game. 1. I'm pretty sure that would be against the forum's rules. 2. Even if 1 isn't correct, until we're good and ready, there's no point in exposing it. I'd be happy to try to help to what limited capacity I can, however.
      Let's take it to PM then.

Comment

Does the game have to have to crossed over across all the lines you've mentioned, or would it suffice for my mages to have just run into Demons (and for me to have used the Demon rules from the Demon book), or just a mummy (same deal), etc.?

Sig

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOtter View Post
          Does the game have to have to crossed over across all the lines you've mentioned, or would it suffice for my mages to have just run into Demons (and for me to have used the Demon rules from the Demon book), or just a mummy (same deal), etc.?
          Any of those lines as long as the rules of that system were used, so mages encountering demons that use Lores and manage faith would do.

Comment

So I've been running a mage game for the better part of 10 years now, and I'm a crossover junkie, but my players are... less so.... so my own desire to really go over the top was tempered by their skepticism over the the whole thing, and I really believe we struck a very reasonable middle. Fortunately I think Mage lends itself to crossover moreso than most of the other lines. My Mage game takes place in L.A., so there was immediate crossover potential with Demon, which might be the second cameo any other WOD line made in my game (the first having been Vampire for probably obvious reasons). That said, I'm going to focus on Demon since there's already goo gobs of info in the canon on how V:tM and Mage interact, to say nothing of a bunch of threads on the subject.

I'll try to address your areas of inquiry in the order in which you presented them:

Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity View Post
            1) Basic theme, mood, and goals of the system
            2) Information on how a character of that supernatural type works
            3) How the lore or metaplot interactions with Mage
            4) Opportunities for crossover and cooperation
            5) Plot hooks involving the other system.
            1) I think the idea behind the Demon system is to take the sort of ghoul/servitor/pet human metagame from Vampire and expand it out into a larger more robust form. It's super difficult to build a loner combat twink fallen with no followers who gains all their faith through reaping--it's very clearly tough by design. I'm sure someone can think of some exception to this, but the fact is that pacting is the name of the game. Any fallen worth their salt probably has a decently sized cult of people with whom they have pacted to keep them fat and happy. The interesting thing here is seemingly that, unlike vampires who must constantly be feeding their ghouls blood, demonic pacts almost maintain themselves; the fallen gives the person a little something fueled by their own faith, and then turns a point or two back towards themselves (i.e., the fallen); it's meager, but if you do that with enough people, pretty soon you're riding high--and if the cut is made of the right sorts, the fallen could have (to varying degrees) a wide array of agents, spies, soldiers, or at least contacts, they can use as proxies. The other great thing about the Demon system is that Demons are inherently can spot supernaturals coming easily, it's hard to talk about them without them knowing (and it's real tough to know that little nugget of information), they're impossible to mind control, and real tough to fool with magic--so a lot of the stuff players might typically think of as "win button" abilities when it comes to folks without Mind 1... potentially not so effective here.

2) See above for a discussion on what the strengths of a fallen character are. Ultimately, if the fallen is going toe to toe with another supernatural (like literally they're about to fight), something probably went wrong for the fallen. I play my fallen NPC's like expert CIA handlers: hard to find or detect, but often listening, and very well equipped to fight through proxies and intermediaries. Otherwise, Mage is fairly easy to crossover power-for-power with other games, thanks to the nifty little chart in Storyteller's Handbook Revised (page 196). Seriously, if you just work through the crossover suggestions they have there, it's not super difficult.

3) In my game, the God of Abraham (i.e., Vampire and Demon) sits cosmologically above everything else--it is the ultimate programmer; dynamic magic is simply reality's debug menu. So Mages are powerful as all get out, but they're not lifting the vampiric curse of cain, and they're not interfering with whatever divine comeuppance the almighty built into every fallen's shitty existence (though their systematic/metaplot difficulties appear more incidental to other events that what happened to vampires, which were specifically cursed). Metaplot-wise, I had the Mages try to capitalize on the aftermath of Lucifer appearing above LA (see the D:tF book "City of Angels") by trying to shake up the consensus--and it worked! Many people in the city had enough latent belief in the supernatural that the blatant display of supernatural what-have-you put them into a sort of state of open mindedness. This had, and has continued to have, mechanical effects such as what is vulgar/coincidental in certain parts of the city (depending largely on where the mages focused their efforts with regard to selling people on there being more things in heaven and earth and so on), and as time went on, certain parts of the city have been converted to enough of a degree that paradox in that part of the city works according to 2ed./M20 rules.

4) In my game, there was a lot of mistaken identity stuff going on. The Fallen had just gotten out of the Abyss, and there were some Nephandi trying to find them in order to figure out what the deal was with them--my players were tracking the down the Nephandi, and via some sleuthing and narrative contrivance, got a fallen on their radar, which they assumed was also some kind of malign entity. Shenanigans ensued. Like I said above, I think Mage crosses over really well with all the other lines--sphere magic by its very nature can be made to fit into any other system pretty quickly, and the way it fits in is always more or less the same (you go success for success, or you credit the mage with an equivalent two successes for every one, or you can compare sphere or arete levels to the other supernatural's whatever--in this case, Faith or Torment as oppropriate). Sure enough I had the mages dip into fallen politics a little, and they ended up learning that some fallen are very very bad from a human perspective (Luciferans to a degree, but oooh boy Raveners are a pretty easy baddie right out of the box), and some are pretty swell (Reconcilers), useful to puzzle stuff out (Cryptics), or smarmy but at least down to bargain and do some horsetrading (Faustians). Demons are more of a background elements of my game at this point--they're concerned with the day-to-day struggles of their own intrigues, and my mages have plenty of mage problems; but it's interesting how it sometimes occurs to my players to tap a demon as a resource.

5) Basically covered this above in (4).

I hope this is substantially what you were looking for!

Sig

Comment

Heya. I have run more WoD crossover games than normal ones. I love Demon, it pairs with Vampire politics well. I tolerate Hunter, had a bad introduction to it when it first came out. Above the others though is my deep love for Mummy in all it's incarnations.
              I'm a rabid fan of your show an feel nervous an excited about this possible interview, especially after hearing the eloquent interview on the Changeling game.
              If your interested in moving forward PM me, or send an email to my name via hotmail.
              Have a good one!

Comment

I run DtF For years now, Same with Hunter and Mage the ascension.

i been busy lately but i can hit you up on discord/vc if ya guys want, i do voice mostly now a days

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
                ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
                Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
                Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Working...
                X