[Hunter the Reckoning] Edges and virtues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Hunter the Reckoning] Edges and virtues

So, a friend of mine offered to be the ST for a HtR campaign and I took a peek at the manual.
    I can't understand: buying Vengeance 4 costs me 10 Zeal points, and the cost for level 5 is not even marked. Are you supposed to get that power through roleplaying alone? You don't pay any XP or Virtue cost for it?

Also, he said that you're capped to 10 points TOTAL for the virtues (so, if I have Mercy 3 I can't bring Zeal to more than 7), but I can't find that rule anywhere in the book. I seem to understand that you can reach 10 in each virtue and they don't cap with each other... am I wrong, and if so where is that written?

Gaining level 5 Edges is covered in Fall from Grace. Boiling it down, there are three different paths - divine, independent, and infernal - and all three have their costs.

The divine path changes an imbued's Nature and Demeanor to one of Autocrat, Dreamer or Fanatic (both changing to the same one). They lose all derangements previously gained except for one, but that one can no longer be kept under control with Willpower. They no longer regain Willpower during downtime, from sleeping, or between stories; they only regain it by acting in accordance with their Archetype, and perhaps by reaching milestones on their quest. Their permanent Willpower can no longer be increased.

The infernal path marks the imbued as 'wrong' to second sight and 'fallen' to observational Edges, and they are now subject to any Edges that affect monsters. They no longer gain any hints or clues from the Messengers. Extensive interaction with the demon that granted the Edge can erode their Willpower, and should permanent Willpower fall to 0, they are possessed by the demon completely, their soul destroyed.

Following the independent path should shift an imbued's Nature to one of Autocrat, Fanatic or Perfectionist through roleplaying, with Demeanor changing to match. Finally gaining a level 5 Edge reduces their permanent Willpower by 5, and freezes an imbued's other Virtue ratings at their current score. All Social pools are halved when interacting with ordinary humans or non-extremist hunters. They also become subject to an irresistable compulsion the ST can impose once a story.

On the other question, ask your friend if he can give a cite. The only limit I can find is that other Virtue ratings can't be raised higher than a character's primary Virtue (HtR core, p. 129).

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

There are also optional rules that allow less restrictive Edge acquisition in the books; such as a different cost per Edge scheme that allows you to hit your 5th Edge in the list, and an XP based progression that skips that if you want.

AFAIK, there is no such cap as your friend stated in the books. It would be insanely restrictive since doing anything but 10 dots into your Primary Virtue would lock you out of the 4th level Edges as well as whatever approach you take towards getting the 5th level ones.

Comment

Is the ST locking out STARTING virtues, or Max Virtues?

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
          Is the ST locking out STARTING virtues, or Max Virtues?
          He was talking about max virtues. So, either Zeal 10 and nothing to the others or any combination with 10 as a total, such as 3 4 4.
          As I said I never found a line about this rule but he's sure it's like this (can't give me quotes tho).

AFAIK, there is no such cap as your friend stated in the books. It would be insanely restrictive since doing anything but 10 dots into your Primary Virtue would lock you out of the 4th level Edges as well as whatever approach you take towards getting the 5th level ones.
          That was my take too. He mentioned using the alternative Edge cost (1 1 2 2 4), but even so it really feels too restrictive.

Comment

Working...
          X