High-powered splat combination for fun and profit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-powered splat combination for fun and profit

An OP thought experiment that may be useful to me as inspiration for a game scenario. This is the oWoD version of the scenario. Let's assume one day a godlike entity appears to you and makes you an offer you cannot refuse: you shall be reborn in the oWoD setting with your memories intact as the unholy combination of two or more major supernatural splats, with a few extra special benefits thrown in the package. Valid options for the templates you may choose include Kindred, shapeshifter, mage, Risen, Cathayan, changeling, and demon. Mortal, hunter, or minor templates are not allowed since they are not supernatural enough and mummy is strongly frowned upon since its rebirth life cycle would probably make management of the combination too complex (but if you can suggest a good way to make it work, no problem). Wraith is only allowed if you choose to be a Risen and then you get to be permanently locked in your body; in such a case, your Shadow can occasionally seize control of your form (unless you pick the special benefit to nullify its influence, see below), but you cannot fall into Oblivion.

You get five template slots to spend; mage, demon, and mummy (if allowed at all) cost double and you must have at least two templates. You also can spend one slot to buy one extra special benefit after the first free choice (see below). No matter what your choices, you automatically become ageless if one of your template choices would not make you immortal by default. You get to create each of your template choices as if they were oWoD characters (abilities that are common to all oWoD templates are only chosen once, specific supernatural powers are picked separately). You are also free to ignore any canon splat limitation in choosing your own supernatural powers. Your hybridization is successful even if the combination wouldn't make sense or should be self destructive. You keep access to all relevant stats for each template, and retain all pools separately.

You choose one of the following special benefits for free (and can pick a second option by sacrificing one of your template slots): 1) you gain a substantial amount of extra Xp to be distributed among your templates as your prefer, roughly equivalent to a vampire elder. 2) All the power pools that power your templates' supernatural powers now naturally regenerate. Your pools shall fully recharge once per day by performing a quick ritual, or once per hour by spending an equivalent time into meditation. 3) You become much harder to damage with physical attacks than you would otherwise be and any supernatural weaknesses you have because of your templates are lessened in intensity, causing pain instead of physical damage or crippling agony, or being downgraded to the most similar mundane source of damage. Paradox cannot cause bodily damage or long-lasting physical transformations to you. 4) Your sanity and sense of identity become stronger, more resilient, and more flexible than it would otherwise be. Only the most inhumane actions, severest traumas, and most extreme violations of your templates' Morality meters can even dent your psyche. You become immune to anything that would inspire supernatural confusion, insanity, rage, or fear. If one of your splat choices would give you a Shadow or any equivalent malevolent alternate personality, it gets torn from you and turned into its own independent character to wage a separate existence, much like what happens with the Ritual of Severance. You are immune to devolution into a mindless bestial creature, or forgetting about your supernatural existence.

You shall suffer no drawback because of your innatural existence, apart from getting several supernatural factions and organizations hell-bent on destroying you, enslaving you, or making you subject to ruthless experiments in order to discover the secret of your power.
    Last edited by Irioth; 02-03-2019, 08:07 PM.

I will combine mummy, mage, and risen. I am a Lich! A master of magic with a highly resilient undead body and the ability to return to unlife when ever I am destroyed. I have eternity to study magic and kill adventuring parties who intrude upon my sanctum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant Brother View Post
      I will combine mummy, mage, and risen. I am a Lich! A master of magic with a highly resilient undead body and the ability to return to unlife when ever I am destroyed. I have eternity to study magic and kill adventuring parties who intrude upon my sanctum.
      Cool. Which special benefit do you choose? According to your splat choices, you cannot buy a second one, but first pick is free.
      Last edited by Irioth; 02-03-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

Cool. Which special benefit do you choose? According to your splat choices, you cannot buy a second one, but first pick is free.
        I think I’d pick the experience. Being a lich doesn’t really work as well when you’re only a beggining level magic user.

Comment

Ok so you're unaging if your template an get it? Mages and Changelings can buy that as merit...does that count?

Comment

Just be a human and buy your way into having power via smartly managed demonic deals with the thousand and one types of demons in WOD. You can essentially buy every type of supernatural power save for mage abilities(and possibly mummy abilities, but the "corruption" stat kind of overturns this).

1. As per 1000 Hells, you can buy any Wan-Kuei ability from the Yama Kings in exchange for pieces of your soul(or not, if you know their laws well enough and/or capture and sell Other peoples souls).

2. As per Demon: the Fallen, you can buy any Lore powers(and other unique ones) from the earthbound up to third level as long as you don't deal with the same earthbound more than twice. Devils Due is also possibly a DTF book and possibly not, it's not really clear, but it's thrall system allows them to have nearly all the same powers as demons(and gives anyone who can get Daimonen 6 the ability to have virtually unlimited points for demonic powers if you abuse the system)

3. As per WTA: Possessed, you can learn/buy any gifts(and other unique powers) by allowing your choice of spirit too book a room in you body.

4. As per the Sorcerer Books, you can use alchemy(And possibly enchanting? The books are kinda unclear on what enchanting does) to copy any supernatural ability up to level 3(not including fae or demon abilities. Mage powers are limited to Rotes with a "highest sphere level of 3" cap, which given mage, doesn't actually limit much).

5. As per WTO: mediums, you can buy the first dot of any Arcanoi by persuading/forcing a spectre to give you some of their Being points/dots(not really that exciting, especially when a necromancer can just have the ghost cast their own arcanoi in his stead)

6. As per the various Vampire/DAV books on demons, (Guide to the Black hand 20th) Kraina of the well is a free pass to summon whatever demon and control up to 5 of them, (DAV) Warrior Valeren 6 lets you fight demons in a way to give yourself an unfair advantage and eat them for merits/their powers, (Vampire core) Demons can get your Thaum paths for cheap and offer you their own unique paths as well.

7. Pre-20th DAV: Companion, Path of Screams, and the old Book of Madness all have similar/the same "Demonic Pact" system in which you do tasks for demon X to get Y number of points to let you buy Z powers, with the main difference being different lists of powers, but the prices for similar powers remains consistent enough that you could really use all of them. You can also buy vampire disciplines.

Honestly, as long as you aren't that idiot that sells their soul for the first shiny power it shows you, establishing working buisness agreements with demons is incredibly profitable. Must be why Pentex does so well.
            Last edited by Prometheas; 02-08-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
              Ok so you're unaging if your template an get it? Mages and Changelings can buy that as merit...does that count?
              The likes of mages and changelings get unaging for free, they don't need to buy it with a Merit. They are precisely the kind of situation that particular free benefit was written in the scenario, to level the immortality playing field with vampires and suchlike.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

The likes of mages and changelings get unaging for free, they don't need to buy it with a Merit. They are precisely the kind of situation that particular free benefit was written in the scenario, to level the immortality playing field with vampires and suchlike.
                But Immortality.. is pretty much the big advantage to being a vampire... everything else some can generally do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                  But Immortality.. is pretty much the big advantage to being a vampire... everything else some can generally do better.
                  Not so true, since there are other fields where the Kindred excel, such as social manipulation and political intrigue. Moreover, as a veteran geek I have always been opposed to treating immortality as the proprietary special boon of the bloodsuckers. If you ask my opinion, other supernaturals such as wizards (at least at the superhuman power level reflected by Awakened magic) and faeries are just as entitled to 'easy' agelessness as a feature of their nature as the vampires. They shouldn't need a Merit loophole (Merits being a rather scarce resource in game economy to begin with) in order to gain it. Moreover, this scenario is supposed to work in both oWoD and nWoD and a real equivalent of those Merits does not exist in the latter. Because of the transhumanist themes entwined in the supernaturals' narrative (at least according to my own 'Horror? What Horror?' perspective) I tend to be much in favor of making access to immortality relatively easy for all the supernatural splats who might somewhat thematically qualify for it one way or another and leveling the agelessness playing field between them. If you wish, just think of this bit as myself as scenario author exercising my storytelling privilege to impose one of my dearest pet peeves on the game, and kindly humor me.
                  Last edited by Irioth; 02-05-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I'd pick Demon and Mage! in the Demon: the Fallen novels it's suggest that a Mage's avatar is a shard of a dead demon/angel and if I remember correctly I think one of the source books implies that the failed Babel experiment was Lucifer's attempt to make the humans ascend so they could usurp God, so I suppose if you accept that then their origin and powers are already kind of related. Of course, I think the clear advantage to pick would be the extra experience. A Demon's faith already replenishes every dawn and I imagine if I were a mage as well I'd have a higher base faith rating, not sure how a mage replenishes their Quintessence, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Malfean90 View Post
                      I'd pick Demon and Mage! in the Demon: the Fallen novels it's suggest that a Mage's avatar is a shard of a dead demon/angel and if I remember correctly I think one of the source books implies that the failed Babel experiment was Lucifer's attempt to make the humans ascend so they could usurp God, so I suppose if you accept that then their origin and powers are already kind of related. Of course, I think the clear advantage to pick would be the extra experience. A Demon's faith already replenishes every dawn and I imagine if I were a mage as well I'd have a higher base faith rating, not sure how a mage replenishes their Quintessence, however.
                      Don't forget that demon also assumes that Werewolves side-stepping takes them through the land of the dead(which it doesn't, but that's the only spirit world they know about and they created the world... or they think so at least). They also assume that any supernatural power in WOD works off faith, they assume that any Hermetic Chantry they come across must have been a Maleficar artifact vault(there's an example of this in the DTF: houses of the fallen), and that every religioun in the world is some mutation of abrahamic faith(it has to be, how could any other form of true faith exist...or so they think)

By the way, Mages also regain quintessence every day. They gain their Avatar Background in quintessence every 24 hours, meaning they can generate up to 5 quintessence daily just for being a mage.

Comment

Hi, thanks to everybody for the help. With your suggestions and the ones in the nWoD sister thread, I was able to complete my nWoD/oWoD Jump templates. Here is the result for the oWoD, posted for anyone interested to know what this was all about. It seems in comparison to the original post, I was far too cautious about my estimations for the Jump character point budget. I was actually able to rack an OP 4700 CP budget, thanks to the combo of basic allowance, in-setting drawbacks, and Chain drawbacks (stuff that applies to every Jump).

Omnibus Old World of Darkness

Apparent Age: 18 (0).

Origin:

You may freely choose any place and time on Earth over the last 10,000 years in which to start your time here, but nowhere is safe. You may freely set your biological sex and apparent age to any you choose. Additionally, you must purchase one of the following Origins. All of them come with 15 FP with which to buy stats, skills, backgrounds, powers, and merits… ignoring normal Chargen limits. You will need the relevant splatbooks or you may find lists on line. You are free to take up to 7 FP worth of Flaws to gain more. All Flaws are counted as Drawbacks and expire at the end of your time here. Under No Circumstances may a power reach 10 dots during this jump. If you don’t buy a power higher than 5 with FP, EXP can’t raise it past 5. If you don’t buy it to 9 with FP, you can’t raise it to 10 with EXP. Max Mortal Backgrounds is 8 dots, except in Resources.

Methuselah (800). (This is sweet; it means being 500+ years old, getting +60 FP, and spending 200 years in the world; my character was already going to spend a whole mortal lifetime in the setting anyway, due to Chain drawbacks).

Types:

You will start your life here in a new alt-form with a new past roughly on par with a new PC of the Type you select (including attributes, abilities, backgrounds, disciplines/gifts/spheres/etc., merits, etc.) modified by your Origin choice.

Kindred (200). (Mostly picked for inherent immortality and certain Disciplines).

Fera (200). (Mostly picked for the inherent advantages such as easy regeneration; not going to invest many points but the normal allowance in the splat powers since they are exp. guzzlers).

Awakened (800). (Mages are the best for versatility and overall power level/potential).

Dead (Cathayan) (200). (Certain powers may synergize well with other splats).

Changeling (200). (A few abilities might be worthwhile).

Abomination (300). (You may be a hybrid of several different supernatural types. The hybridization is successful even if the combination would not make sense or should be self-destructive. You keep access to all relevant stats for each template, and retain all pools separately).

(Other available type options I did not use include mortal, other minor splats, hunter, wraith/risen, mummy, demon, immortal, and exalted).

Perks:

Soundtrack of Darkness (0). (You get your own personal soundtrack of ‘80s-‘90s dark and edgy music, which can be made audible to yourself alone, everyone, or just specific people).

It Can’t Rain All the Time (0). (Mandatory. The environment takes a Goth-Punk bleak and oppressive look and feel).

Strangeness (0). (All manners of strangeness suffuse the world).

Freebies (x10) (1000). (You gain 3 FP or 15 EXP, your choice. This can be purchased multiple times).

Strange Radar (100). (You can sense the presence and type of supernatural creatures, by scent, sight, or just an odd tingle. It works through illusions, disguises, and invisibility).

Insanity Defense (200). You are immune to anything that would cause insanity, or supernatural confusion or fear).

Staunch Humanity (200). (Your sense of your own humanity (or basic sense of identity at least) is stronger, more resilient, and more flexible than it otherwise would be. Only the most inhumane and extreme actions can even dent it).

Soaking Up the Damage (200). (You are much harder to damage with physical attacks than you otherwise would be and any supernatural weaknesses you have are lessened in intensity. Sunlight would merely weaken a vampire drastically, silver would be merely painful to a werewolf instead of causing agony, etc.).

Refreshing (300). (All the power pools that power your types’ supernatural powers (Rage, Quintessence, Vitae, Pathos, etc.) now naturally regenerate. Your pools will fully recharge in ten minutes. No more neck sucking for you).

Drawbacks:

(My Chain Drawbacks mandate I take a full 1200 CP slate of native Drawbacks for this Jump).

Old Hatreds (+100). (This guarantees animosities between the various factions and types in the WoD are at full strength).

Cliches Abound (+100). (You cannot help but acting like a clichéd version of whatever transhuman monstrosity you have become. I guess for abominations, this means alternating between RPing the clichés of your various types, or combining them, as appropriate).

A Game for Children (+200). (Everyone acts no older than the mental age of 22. This doesn’t mean everyone just stops aging at 22… 22 is the new 80. The vast majority of the adult population acts like they’re 12-16. For an additional +200, everyone is actually in that physical age range. Look forward to seeing a lot of dead kids and kids acting like freaking creepy murderhobos. I actually do not fancy modern infantilization of teens, and I rather prefer to deem them much closer to adults than to little children in terms of nature, capabilties, and responsibilties. So a population of perpetual adolescents does not bother me overmuch. I assume this version of the WoD would not be much different in practice from the many examples of the Adults Are Useless/There Are No Adults tropes in manga/anime stories, albeit of the darker variety).

So Edgy (+200). (Everyone in the world now acts like a raging edgelord. Vampires are extra moody, Werewolves extra ragey, Mages act like chuuni, and everyone wears a trenchcoat all the time. For an additional +200, everyone acts like they’re larpers, including dressing like it).

Open Hostility (+200). (One faction from one of the various types has something against you. They don’t like your face and plan to smush it in. Repeatedly. Until it sticks. This could be the entire Sabbat, or the Technocracy, or the Unseelie, or any other major faction. If you pick a smaller faction, they will dedicate more resources and time to your extermination. Can be bought up to 4 times.).

Plus a choice between a few options I’m uncertain about:

A) +A Game for Children (+200). +So Edgy (+200).

B) +Open Hostility (x2) (+400).

C) By Candlelight (+100). (Everything will be lit by candles and full of smoke or mist or fog. Don’t expect to ever be in bright light or be able to hear things clearly). The Dawn that Doesn’t Come (+300). (There is no dawn in this world, no daytime. If you are a Vampire, you can never rest. If not… things are grimmer and there are things in the darkness. I suppose ecology is somehow supernaturally kept from collapsing).

D) Seriously Bad Juju (+400). (Your powers from this jump have come at a price. To get them, you’ve made a deal with the powers of darkness and if you don’t act like a monster, they’ll come to collect… and they will be able to collect. I have no real trouble RPing evil characters, so this is no big hassle to me).

Optional:

+Freebies (x10/20) (1000/2000).

Time of Judgement (+1000). (This dooms the world to suffer some kind of Time of Judgement doomsday scenario, one that could meaningfully challenge you. It happens within six years of you entering the setting. While I suppose my PC avatar could survive the end of the world w/o excessive trouble thanks to my powers, and the extra CP are tempting, I am not sure I want the hassle of spending a lifetime in a Mad Max setting).

Dreams of the Second Age (0). (This makes Exalted the prehistory of the World of Darkness in this setting).

The Cleansing (+1000). (The Exalted come back and set aside their differences to stage a purge of WoD supernaturals. I assume my build would allow my PC to fight off the Exalted w/o excessive trouble, and the extra points are tempting, but I am not sure I wish most other supernaturals exterminated).
                        Last edited by Irioth; 02-20-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X