Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low-Power Practical Magics - What Are Your Examples?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
    Hrm, misread that part I guess... seems a bit cheap that bumping up a Realm from 1 to 2 costs the same as taking a Realm you don't have and bumping it to 5.... but on reread yeah, that's how it goes.

You also can't fake money exactly, you can fake the value of money that's of the same style. You can't turn a quarter into a $50 bill, you can turn a $5 bill into a $100 bill. It's great if you need bus fare and only have a crumpled up dollar. It's not great if you try to keep using it to pay for stuff, especially where you live, since people are going to notice their numbers are off since you're not going to be rolling 4+ successes all the time if you're doing it that often.

Yeah, the glamour cost is super cheap to cheat realms, I definitely admit. I definitely would not blame an ST who house ruled so that it cost one per dot. But, it is what it ia.

So had a thought on an odd one. In the Revised Laws of the Night, Potence 1 (Prowess, I think?) Actually has some powerful mundane benefits. In MET you had to bid traits (so, if I throw a punch, I am bidding a Physical trait, which is usually a keyword of some sort). On a loss, you lose the bid traits, which also lowers your test pool later in the session for that attribute type - representing being tired, beaten down, and drained from your efforts. You can refresh each pool once per night with willpower, but Willpower is slow to come back.
    However, Potence 1 helps with that. Rather than straight buffing your strength, it gives you a free refresh each session of specific physical traits. Which means that it effectively gives you more energy and drive with regards to physical activity- sort of a "pep up." Not useful every day unless you are doing a lot of physical labor, but if you have it anyways (and as a ghoul you would, and can get it fairly easily as a vampire too), it is definitely helpful when, say, a friend needs help moving a couch up a couple flights of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      Hrm, misread that part I guess... seems a bit cheap that bumping up a Realm from 1 to 2 costs the same as taking a Realm you don't have and bumping it to 5.... but on reread yeah, that's how it goes.
      Realms are also your Dice Pool. While Bunks are awesome.. if I wanted say to have always the best bit of tech available I'd want serious prop investment(plus its the cheaper of the two... and you CAN always unleash!)

You also can't fake money exactly, you can fake the value of money that's of the same style. You can't turn a quarter into a $50 bill, you can turn a $5 bill into a $100 bill. It's great if you need bus fare and only have a crumpled up dollar. It's not great if you try to keep using it to pay for stuff, especially where you live, since people are going to notice their numbers are off since you're not going to be rolling 4+ successes all the time if you're doing it that often.
      But being able to turn a 5 into a 50 when you just need it would be pretty awesome.. though mostly I'd probably mess with gold bugs.

Comment

Working...
      X