Advice on a espionage themed storyline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a espionage themed storyline

I just thought up a unique idea for a possible campaign for Vampire or Werewolf. The whole story-line revolves around the PCs being blackmailed by a mysterious CIA operative by the "name" of Brown. He uses of threat of tipping off various hunter groups, both Government backed or not, to their location to have him give him aid in a assignment. If this PCs cooperate up to this point, Brown instructs them to track down and recover a stolen flash-drive or microfilm which was stolen by foreign agents, embroiling the PCs in the dark and shady world of Global Espionage. Can i have some advice on making this plot work in WoD and in making it interesting for PCs to run?

Well I guess my questions is why is the agent in question using supernaturals? How does he know so much about them?

Comment

Waaaaaaaaay off theme for both Vampire and Werewolf if you ask me.

Comment

Sounds more like an idea for a a Mage chronicle, with a technocracy agent taking advantage of a few clueless tradition mages.

Rather, having the coterie or pack stumble upon a conspiracy while performing their usual dutys would be my way to initiate this story idea. The PCs believe to hunt down a dangerous agent of the Wyrm or they fear what they initially did could brake the masquerade, so they have to take hold of whatever the secret agent has stolen on his mission to destroy all evidence.

Comment

If you’re using a mix bag then utilize the outcasts book for ideas. It specifically helps with mixing supernaturals working together.

I’d you don’t then you’re players will tear each other apart like cannabaistic murder hobos.

There are some super hero shows that feature this concept too. (Can’t remember name) Use their exploration techniques for how they control the supers in the long run.

Werewolves could be exploited via kinfolk threat. A few photos of their loved ones could start you off.

Vampires could be exploited via exposure. A few photos of masquerade breaches (real or fake) and a contact number to the sheriff could be enough to leash them into service.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
            I just thought up a unique idea for a possible campaign for Vampire or Werewolf. The whole story-line revolves around the PCs being blackmailed by a mysterious CIA operative by the "name" of Brown. He uses of threat of tipping off various hunter groups, both Government backed or not, to their location to have him give him aid in a assignment. If this PCs cooperate up to this point, Brown instructs them to track down and recover a stolen flash-drive or microfilm which was stolen by foreign agents, embroiling the PCs in the dark and shady world of Global Espionage. Can i have some advice on making this plot work in WoD and in making it interesting for PCs to run?
            Hmm. Interesting. I think this is the sort of set up that would work best with Thin Bloods and/or Ronin (I don't think Werewolf ever really had rules for Lost Cubs), as they don't tend to have the social support network of mentors, Sires, Septs, Camarilla/Garou Nation, etc. that regular vampires and werewolves possess, and so when being blackmailed by a mortal, can't easily call in help by appealing to the sanctity of the Masquerade or some aspect of the Litany (at least not without potentially putting themselves in a worse situation).

Regarding the CIA, they're kind of a mixed bag. While the competence and ability of much of the rank and file is noteworthy, they've had a number of major blind spots over their history (it used to be said that the CIA found out the Soviet Union collapsed by seeing it reported on CNN). Much of this is probably due to the general culture of bureaucratic mediocrity that's infested Washington DC for decades. Since the 1990s, the NSA tends to get more respect as all-seeing conspiratorial boogie-men. (This is especially true in Project: Twilight.)

Inspiration-wise, I highly recommend the films Spy Game (2001), Sneakers (1992), and Three Days of the Condor (1975), Robert Redford's trilogy of CIA related films. One with him as a young agent on the run, one as a private citizen with a past being blackmailed into a conflict between the CIA and other entities, and one with him as a day-of-retirement CIA veteran running an unauthorized operation under his bosses noses. Films like Eagle Eye (2008), Marathon Man (1976), Arlington Road (1999) and Conspiracy Theory (1997) may offer some additional ideas.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

If you haven't already read them The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross features a lot of supernatural espionage. Start with 'The Atrocity Archives' (scroll down the following pages for The Laundry Files):

US: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...-books-us.html
              UK: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...-books-uk.html

Author's Blog (very! interesting!): http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/

Comment

Working...
              X