No announcement yet.

Looking for a book that had misleading tribe names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Clanbook: Nosferatu (2nd edition) there was a joke about the names of the Werewolf Tribes, in the opinion of the clan of the Lupines.

Comment

Also, going the other way, the Strider revised tribebook section on vampires has a few regional names and beliefs associated with Vampires in lieu of actual clan lore. The Setites are the Cult of Sutekh, the Gangrel are "mulo," shapeshifters who often dwell among the Roma, the Ravnos are rakshasa, who are "actually" spirits who inhabit dead bodies and make illusions, and the Nosferatu and Ventrue are known to be American sewer dwellers and corporate vampires respectively. In addition, the vampyr of Eastern Europe war with the Shadow Lorda (Tzimisce) and the draugr are ancient foes of the Get (also Gangrel I think? They didn't get much description tbh.)

Comment

Insomnia leads to inspiration. Though we "know" the most likely members of those groups, I wanted to break down the types to create a "pool" for each, mixing the WoD lore and actual lore from those regions. The idea is to create groups that could work as a "mixed group" to draw from or to blend together to form antagonists that aren't identical to what you had before.
        -Cult of Sutekh: Obviously standard Setites and Vipers work well here. However, although the Setites are the primary type, we can branch out to others as well. If not playing hard and fast, the Cult could also incorporate Baali to represent the corruption angle further (using the versions where True Faith is more painful but objects of faith don't necessarily harm them). Lasombra could also fit in - as creatures of shadow, they would feel right at home to the Cult. And, there could be room for any type of necromancer in the Cult as well - Cappadocians would make a lot of sense,actually, either as "young" Cappadocians who simply look pallid or as corpse-like prophets from beyond the reach of Osiris' kingdom. The Nagaraja could also work - perhaps tying them into the Ammut myth, and making Ammut a slave to the Aeons with the Nagaraja as her children. Then again, Setite Sorcery can simulate Necromancy. If designing a "new clan," you could probably use the basic Setite spread, but have bloodlines to incorporate other possible powers from those mentioned herein

-The Ghuls: I actually forgot these ones. The Ghuls reportedly seduced their victims; natives to the Arabian peninsula, they took alluring forms. This could be anyone with Obfuscate or Vicissitude, but Presence also could help you become more seductive overall. Envisioning this group as a mix of Toreador, Assamites, Baali, Tzimisce, and Setites who aren't tied to the actual cult. As a regional bloodline or new clan, I'd go with Obfuscate, Presence, and Vicissitude.

-Mulo: the mention of shifting immediately implies Gangrel, but we know Ravnos were among the Roma's numbers and wandered in their circles. Perhaps the shapeshifting also could be Vicissitude. Regardless, Protean and/or Vicissitude is a must have... possibly in Animalism as well.

-Draugr: Wotan is canonically a Gangrel, and this makes some sense. However, he also could be of the Noiad bloodline, given Odin's prophetic abilities. Other visionaries could be Malkavians and Cappadocians (the latter of whom would give rise to corpse-like myths from the draugr. Norse-focused Lhiannan could also be involved

Aaand bed is hitting finally. Goodnight!

Comment

With the exception of the Cult, all of them are real world vampire/undead legends (thou the modern types are mostly Hollywood). It was actually a writers' goal that the book not mention the Setites/Followers of Set or any other vampire group by name.

Traditional Roma likely consider Garou to also be mulo, as they are shapeshifters with supernatural seduction powers who leave behind "tainted" children.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
            With the exception of the Cult, all of them are real world vampire/undead legends (thou the modern types are mostly Hollywood). It was actually a writers' goal that the book not mention the Setites/Followers of Set or any other vampire group by name.

Traditional Roma likely consider Garou to also be mulo, as they are shapeshifters with supernatural seduction powers who leave behind "tainted" children.
            Huh. I knew they were references to localized vampire beliefs, but I didn't realize that it was a choice to avoid mentioning the groups directly. Honestly, though... I kind of like it as a design choice. It kind of gets at what I was having an issue with when I created this thread - too many people know both games and the NPCs are too obvious. If the werewolves who make hunting vampires their primary mission doesn't know all the truths and mingles them with local traditions, it's possible that no one really knows what the enemies truly are (Except the Bone Gnawers maybe, cause they actually talk to them). So I still kind of like the idea of using them as "groups" of clans to create some... let's say "unique" encounters for PCs without having to marry yourself too closely to the world of Vampire, but while also providing stability for the setting to follow.

Even so... really good effort on the author's part. I approve! And thanks for the tidbit!

Comment

Working...
            X