Prototype Mechanics, Simulated Stats, and Other (Fun) Inconsistencies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype Mechanics, Simulated Stats, and Other (Fun) Inconsistencies

There are a few things, especially in the earlier days of Vampire but also in other places, that presented different interpretations of the World of Darkness than what ended up coming to fruition. In some places, efforts were made to reconcile them - the Bushi and Gaki being "misinterpretations" of the Wan Kuei by the Kindred and Cainites of the west is one example, while others kind were forgotten and left behind (there were two werewolves in Milwaukee by Night that were designed with Discipline powers, as Apoc was either not out or still new, but also gave them two new disciplines - one getting "Break Boundaries 3" which gave the power to escape bindings, enter the spirit world, and break others of the shackles of their mind, and another getting "The Howl" which was a single-track discipline a la the Physicals that could inspire fear in the target. It showed a sort of prototype to packs and tribes as well, discussing how there were three packs with different Totems that they identified with (a sort of hybrid of the two concepts). And there are of course the situations where one game will provide antagonist stats for another type of supernatural creature using that game's powers as a base - the werewolves I just mentioned, the NPC creation rules in BNS, and so on. Those are pretty ubiquitous, but they also can sometimes have some interesting implications in isolation - for example, in the BNS Vampire rules, ALL Wraiths get Dementation 2. Now, Wraiths are usually a "stock NPC" (basically a set test pool with a few powers and skills that provide some mechanical variation - designed to be quick to create so you can fill a field with antagonists without statting that many sheets), and usually they don't get Merits or Flaws, but that's a "usually." Some do get those as part of their concept (the werewolves in VTM all get their version of Shape of Beast's Wrath, a Gangrel merit, for their crinos equivalent, while Mokole in the Werewolf rules get Oracular Ability), and the rules for Dementation say that you MUST have a Derangement. So, by those rules, it is implied that all wraiths have been damaged mentally... which sort of makes sense in both isolation and in the context of Wraiths having shadows - or being spectres).

What are the ones that you enjoy? What are the early drafts of monsters that didn't turn out the same way they started but would have been interesting in their own right? What are the versions of creatures that are simulated in other rules sets with powers that create strange implications and headcanons?

I'm still hoping for some 1st edition Vampire clanbooks for Gaki and Cats at STV. Thou I'm moderately tempted to try my hand at a World of Darkness: Cats book that talks about the Cats, feline formed Gangrel, cat ghouls, Bubasti (and maybe an optional Asian version of them for the Beast Courts), feline totems, cat familiars and cat type bygones, ghost cats, feline Pooka and the Neko, fey cats, cat mummies, and so forth.

My personal holy grail of what might have been is the first preview ads for Mage, where in addition to their Tradition Sphere, each also had one or two secondary Spheres. I've been trying to find a copy of said ad for nearly 20 years as I can't remember any specifics.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
      I'm still hoping for some 1st edition Vampire clanbooks for Gaki and Cats at STV. Thou I'm moderately tempted to try my hand at a World of Darkness: Cats book that talks about the Cats, feline formed Gangrel, cat ghouls, Bubasti (and maybe an optional Asian version of them for the Beast Courts), feline totems, cat familiars and cat type bygones, ghost cats, feline Pooka and the Neko, fey cats, cat mummies, and so forth.

My personal holy grail of what might have been is the first preview ads for Mage, where in addition to their Tradition Sphere, each also had one or two secondary Spheres. I've been trying to find a copy of said ad for nearly 20 years as I can't remember any specifics.
      I was going to do a Gaki/Bushi set, but time hasn't been on my side. I need to either train with an ecstatic or learn temporis one of these days... I would love to see a cats book, though.

Hmmm... interesting. I recall seeing a revised era mage ad in an old gaming mag I had once. Hmm... I do have some old Dragon and Dungeon issues going back a while... let me check and see how far back my collection goes and I will check some of those.

Comment

Working...
      X