Taking the Second Inquisition to Other Editions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the Second Inquisition to Other Editions

I'm not really a fan of V5. I'm not trying to piss on it for people that like it, but I have numerous reasons why it's just not My bag. Frankly, it's too much like Requiem. This doesn't mean that it doesn't have a few good ideas that I wouldn't mind porting over to 20th Anniversary Edition games. As the title of this thread suggests, the biggest of these is the Second Inquisition (although I would change dates to fit My game). As I've read enough of V5 to formulate My opinion, that doesn't mean that I've read every word, cover-to-cover. Where I'm curious is the scope of the Second Inquisition. Are they fighting the supernatural in general, or are they just going after vampires?

It's a little contradictory so far in some areas and very vague in other, but a book will be coming out with more details.
    They have only depicted attacks on Vampires and Vampire related details. But they've also only appeared in a Vampire book (Since there isn't anything else out yet) The big targets were Vampire related, but would it really be mentioned if some cairns were bulldozed if it didn't affect the Vampires? Probably not. But maybe there are targets that Vampire would take note of, but they haven't locked in what's happening in the Werewolf/Mage world enough to write it in a Vampire book.

It seems like the Second Inquisition through everything they could in to the opening damage they've done, but maybe they've left a maintenance level on the Vampires and are Targetting the others from here?

Comment

I think the answer is going to be different than what was intended originally before the changes at White Wolf and moving production out of the house. However, given how hunters have fit into other games in the past, we have a few ideas that suggest what is going to happen - namely, they will be against the other types as well, but to a lesser degree than the Vampires. The werewolves are more isolated than vampires, and are also harder to kill by far - the Inquisition won't hesitate to hunt one down who causes problems, but will likely have trouble finding them to begin with. Mages blend in far more easily, but also are more antithetical to the religious side of the Inquisition. However, between their added power and the fact that the Technocracy has a finger in the non-religious parts, the odds are good that they won't be as big a problem for the Mages, especially with governments taking a part in the Second Inquisition. Vampires have just the right balance of being visible to those in the know (they have the Masquerade, but it isn't absolute, and in WoD they don't have something like Delirium to offer even a little passive protection) and being relatively squishy (harder to hurt, but also harder to heal), with a lower spot on the power curve to boot. Also, unlike Werewolves and Mages, Vampires almost universally prey upon humanity. Werewolves and Mages are far more mixed, but vampires need to feed, and often must do so on humans either due to necessity or availability, and thus are absolutely an enemy to humanity.

That said, if they want that theme of being hunted to be universal, you can bet that the Inquisition is on the look for others as well.

Comment

Since the Society of Leopold was name dropped as being a part of the Second Inquisition, they are aware of Mages, Demons, Werewolves, Spirits, Ghosts and "Other"
        However, the Inquisition has always really had a bigger focus on targeting Vampires than the other splats.
        They've currently got semi-supernatural-tech to spot Vampires based on their Vitae (Picking out generation and Clan of a target) so it's within reason that they could pick out Garou in a crowd, possibly even through some gifts. Or spotting the flow of Quintessence around a Mage/Glamour around Fae.

Comment

one problem I have with the Second Inquisition is it STOLE my Comic Relief AKA the SAD

turning them into a COMPETENT organization.

Comment

I know the initial roll out discussions way before v5 even came out mentioned how the SI was in part driven by the Technocracy decided to finally get to Vampires so.... take that as you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
              I know the initial roll out discussions way before v5 even came out mentioned how the SI was in part driven by the Technocracy decided to finally get to Vampires so.... take that as you will.
              I take that as the vampires are all toast. If the Technocracy focuses entirely upon ANY group of supernaturals, that group of supernaturals is toast. Period.

Comment

I'd be curious to see how they deal with the Amenti, as those guys, much like Mages, blend in well with humanity. Maybe it would be similar to how they might pick out Mages, via picking up their Quintessence (Sekhem)? Also, how about the Imbued? Would they consider them a supernatural threat, or would they try to recruit them? No special scanner would pick them out, given that they, themselves, are not supernatural. Further, no agent would be chosen, as only those with no bias, for or against, can become Imbued, but once they're already chosen, nothing stops the possibility except for agency policy and the decisions of the individual hunter. It's a fun thought, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Vil View Post
                  I take that as the vampires are all toast. If the Technocracy focuses entirely upon ANY group of supernaturals, that group of supernaturals is toast. Period.

The two supernaturals that seem to have had the majority of their focus for 500 years would disagree. There are still changelings and there are still Non Technocratic mages. The Technocracy only has so much resources so pushing mundanes to clean up the "Vampire problem" is probably the most cost effective method of dealing with it.. they save the killbots for "Real" threats!

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

The two supernaturals that seem to have had the majority of their focus for 500 years would disagree. There are still changelings and there are still Non Technocratic mages. The Technocracy only has so much resources so pushing mundanes to clean up the "Vampire problem" is probably the most cost effective method of dealing with it.. they save the killbots for "Real" threats!
                    This has always struck Me as weird. It seems like they should have just taken out every Caern from orbit, then used drones that can look for the insufficient heat of a vampire's body and then hit them with some kind of sun rays. It seems like this would be *far easier* than dealing with pesky Mages, who can use their dirty tricks against them. None the less, going by what we've seen in the books, I can't truly argue with your logic.

Comment

Working...
                    X