• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who does Preludes?

most of my experience is on VTT currently PBP

Ive never seen preludes actually used

Anyone used Preludes?

When I ST, if possible I try to run preludes during early character creation for each PC in order to get them thinking about aspects of the game they might otherwise overlook. However, it is less about me as ST running a mini-game as it is collaborative storytelling, since it is very easy for the PC to go off the rails and do something which would ruin the final concept of what they want their character to be. So there is usually some aspects where we back up and do over a scene so it comes to the "right" conclusion.

Based on their initial concept and backstory, I may take something that is especially interesting and use 1-3 setting elements and run brief scenes.

So for Vampire, I may decide let's do a brief scene where a feeding went wrong to see how the character reacts and the reaction of their sire, how their first introduction to Kindred society went as an unreleased vampire to their sire, what happened when they were first presented to the Prince as a released vampire or soon afterwards, and how they first met or turned their ghoul/retainer. For Werewolf, it might be what happened in their life just before their First Change, a notable event that happened as a cub, the first time they entered frenzy, and their rite of passage. I also work with them to develop their Backgrounds in greater detail - who exactly is this person that they count as an Ally, Contact, etc.

Typically I take about 30-60 minutes.

It's not technically a Prelude as described in the books, but I found it works best. It fleshes out their character, and typically they get at least one thing to bring into the game that they hadn't known about their character before.

The only time I've ever actually done a full scale Prelude is for someone interested in the game, but without previous roleplay experience or real backstory for their character, and it was a way for me to introduce the setting to them. All they had was what they were BEFORE they changed. And since they didn't have any idea of what their character would be (other than Toreador seems interesting), there was nothing that could go wrong. However, most players already know where they want their character to be.

Comment

It depends on the chronicle but I love preludes to kick off a campaign. I sometimes use them to define a character's ratings by starting the game with a general idea of characters as mortals or Vampires and discovering them as we go along. it is a very good way to just get going. For characters that are joining a campaign in progress, I will also dedicate a small 20-30 minute scene for their prelude and bring them into the game through that. VtM is about the story get as much of it as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
        most of my experience is on VTT currently PBP

Ive never seen preludes actually used

Anyone used Preludes?
        I always use Preludes. They really help, and I notice without preludes there is something missing and the characters seem less real. Even if it’s a short 15 minute prelude I do them, they give each character a handful of scenes and a handful of Npcs to make their character seem less ephemeral. It grounds them in some form of history, and without them they fee like you can just change them completely st any minute.

It’s also essential in tying bits of everyone’s story together. It’s rather nice to do preludes sometimes separately too, so when people mention bits from their prelude and other characters know part of the event from their own backstory. Like if someone say stole a book bag in their prelude and another characters prelude their mentors life was ruined after they lost their bag filled with lab notes and journals.

Good stuff

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
        X