IT Chapter 2 - in the WoD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Chapter 2 - in the WoD

I saw IT Chapter Two last night. It was alright, not bad but not as good as the first chapter.

However, the film did make me think about how the scenario would play out in the World of Darkness. Namely, some demonic horror dwells under a city. It "sleeps" for decades at a time, then wakes and eats a lot of people. Some survivors attempt to kill the beast. So far, same old, same old.

My thinking is the higher ups in whatever splat is being run - vampire, mage mainly - know about the creature. And they either don't care or they support the monster

Maybe they get something out of the deal - such as a demonic investment. But I prefer to think they are just that petty, that they would support, to a real degree, the child eating monster because they are venal and callow. So the leadership - the prince, the bishop, the oldest mage, whatever - would try to thwart any attempt by the "Losers" to destroy the monster.

Some time ago I participated in a debate about It in the World of Darkness. We conclude that perhaps Changeling was the most appropriate line of game to play. It would be a powerful Thallain, perhaps a powerful Fomorian ally.

Comment

There are certain aspects of the novel that have always tended to influence my take on Changeling, especially the parts where it's noted that many of the adults in the town are completely blind to the terrible things the children are able to see.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post
        It would be a powerful Thallain, perhaps a powerful Fomorian ally.
        What kind specifically, I wonder. Supposedly the novel started with King thinking about trolls and billy goat gruff.

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post
          Some time ago I participated in a debate about It in the World of Darkness. We conclude that perhaps Changeling was the most appropriate line of game to play. It would be a powerful Thallain, perhaps a powerful Fomorian ally.

More like a Fomorian somehow stuck/hiding on Earth, really. Especially if you take into account It's power level in the novel.

Would also make a good True Fae from CtL.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
            I saw IT Chapter Two last night. It was alright, not bad but not as good as the first chapter.
            I feel similarly about it. Even saw it in the theater. Really sucks to pay ticket fare, sneak in some sodas, and watch missed opportunities sail past the big screen. -_-

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
            My thinking is the higher ups in whatever splat is being run - vampire, mage mainly - know about the creature. And they either don't care or they support the monster.
            Considering the tendency for elder vampires to become divorced from their Humanity, they might even consider it kin of sorts.

(That doesn't necessarily mean they'll help it, though - vampires are notorious for not being fond of competition. Still, as varied as people can be, I can see it happening.)
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-21-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              I feel similarly about it. Even saw it in the theater. Really sucks to pay ticket fare, sneak in some sodas, and watch missed opportunities sail past the big screen. -_-
              You should've seen me when I saw the most recent version of The Mummy.

I've barely been to the theater in the past decade, mainly for that reason. I think I can honestly say that the only two films I've seen in theaters the past five or six years that actually pleased me were Wonder Woman and Kong, with the first part of IT just missing number three by a hair. (And I'm sure that list certainly would be larger had I actually gone to the movies as much as I did twenty years ago.)

Ironically, I'm of the opinion that, over the past fifteen or twenty years, the only film remakes that've been any good have been a handful of horror films (Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead and IT ch 1 being the three that immediately sprint to mind). My personal theory is that this is because these films tend to be passion projects of the creators, with little expectation - and as a result little outside interference - from the studios. I think the biggest thing going against IT chapter 2 was that, after the success of the first film, the studio suddenly took an interest in the sequel. From all the reviews I've seen, and the one issue many of them bring up, I'm curious how long before we see a bootleg fan edit that removes almost all of the childhood flashbacks.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                ...I'm curious how long before we see a bootleg fan edit that removes almost all of the childhood flashbacks.
                I actually didn't have a problem with the childhood flashbacks. It was the handling of the adult segments with felt off too me. Honestly, it all seemed like the film was a movie version of a young adult novel. What really hammered that notion home for me is how the Loser defeat IT through the power of friendship and name-calling, Pennywise taunting an adult Ben about his push-ups, and Ben only surviving because of the "power of love."

In anycase, I don't think any vampire would help Pennywise out of friendship. An elder vampire would, however, worry anything strong enough to destroy Pennywise might come after them next. And because elder vampires can be very, very petty.

Comment

Vampires don't like competition though, and both the Sabbat and Camarilla heirarchy will come down on you like a hammer if they catch wind of a prince or elders covering up for some demonic hell beast. That's just asking for a visit from a justicar or the black hand.

Comment

More like the Sabbat Inquisition in the latter case. I don't think the Black Hand concerns itself with policing heresy and other internal matters.

Comment

Working...
                    X