Really basic question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really basic question?

Why are there two games (World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness) which, although somewhat different, have basically the same kind of setting?

Sing me a song of a lass who is gone
    ​Say could that lass be I...

​Theme song from Outlander

So, way back in the early 2000s, the original White Wolf decided to follow through on the looming apocalypses hanging over the World of Darkness, bringing it to an end (why involves some combination of creative exhaustion, supplement treadmill, possibly declining sales, etc), then start again fresh - have everything operating from the same mechanical framework, streamline the number of playable groups, eliminate metaplot (in the sense of an advancing storyline), etc, so creating what was then the New World of Darkness.

Come about 2011, Vampire: the Masquerade's 20th anniversary, they decided to do a 20th anniversary edition for it, compiling pretty much everything into a single book... and its overwhelming popularity opened the way for the other World of Darkness 20th anniversary games. The NWoD games by this time had developed a following of their own, so the two worlds have come to coexist side by side. (For a comparison with another franchise, the existence of the Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't render the Marvel comics universe redundant; the two are similar yet different.)

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Justin Achilli, the Masquerade Revised and Requiem 1e developer, wrote a brief retrospective about the changeover.
      https://twitter.com/jachilli/status/...810553856?s=20

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
      Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
      Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Thanks! That explains a lot.

Sing me a song of a lass who is gone
        ​Say could that lass be I...

​Theme song from Outlander

Comment

Working...
        X