Kanka - Best Online RPG Campaign Manager I’ve Ever Seen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanka - Best Online RPG Campaign Manager I’ve Ever Seen

Recently found this free online RPG campaign manager, and it’s the best I’ve ever seen (and I’ve spent a lot of time looking). They do have a Patreon (I've pledged at the Owlbear level), for those who want to see Kanka grow even more. I recommend this over any other I’ve seen, even the ones you need to pay for. I’m using it for a Dark Ages Vampire game I am preparing for, and it’s making it so much easier. Thought I’d share the love. No accounting for taste, but I hope you find it useful.

Kanka's creator is also rather pleasantly responsive and engaging with users through Kanka's Discord Channel, and those who pledge on Kanka's Patreon at the Goblin level ($3 a month) or higher (Owlbear level is $5 per month and your vote counts double during the bi-monthly vote) also get to participate in the bi-monthly vote on what new features are prioritized.

Kanka Website https://kanka.io/en

Kanka Patreon https://www.patreon.com/kankaio

Kanka Discord Channel https://discord.gg/rhsyZJ4
    Last edited by Archasimos; 01-27-2020, 08:25 PM.

I’m a writer. A storyteller. They’re my passions. They’re what I do. The stories I tell, they are my mythologies. Like the Norse tales of Odin, Thor, and Loki, or the Celtic fables of Lugh or Cú Chulainn, I want them to be the kind that people retell. They are the legacies I wish to leave behind.

I currently use Obsidian Portal. How would you compare the two?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
      I’d abandon Obsidian Portal like the Titanic. I’m heading to bed, so I’ll get back to you, but check out this thread for now. https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comment...ager_ive_ever/

I’m a writer. A storyteller. They’re my passions. They’re what I do. The stories I tell, they are my mythologies. Like the Norse tales of Odin, Thor, and Loki, or the Celtic fables of Lugh or Cú Chulainn, I want them to be the kind that people retell. They are the legacies I wish to leave behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
        I used to use Obsidian Portal, but IMO development of OP has stagnated, with little to no new and useful features having been added to Obsidian Portal in roughly a decade. There's also a number of things I really don't like about Obsidian Portal that have become deal breakers for me.

First is the fact that development of Obsidian Portal has stagnated. I swear Obsidian Portal hasn't been updated with new and useful features in roughly a decade, something I'd think they'd do considering their their pricing plans.

I also absolutely don't like the way OP's character page is displayed. My games tend to run NPC heavy, and after even a short while I find myself having to scroll a lot to find a specific NPC in the list. Even the ability to change the way the page displays to be a more compact view so more characters display in a smaller space would be appreciated. It's much easier to go through the character list (or any list) on Kanka than it is on Obsidian Portal.

Lastly is that when doing a search on Obsidian Portal filtered for multiple tags, it includes everyone that had any of the tags selected instead of displaying only the characters with all the selected tags. Kanka's filters are really good, and you can even create custom menu links that display preset filters you've set up.

Comment

Thanks! I just emigrated my whole Chicago Requiem game to kanka.io
          https://kanka.io/en/campaign/20199/campaigns/20199

What is immensily helpful are the link options of kanka.io. you can use hyperlink/markdown similiar link, or use relations or association, etc.
          I used the free version of obsdian portal before and tavern-keeper.
          Both lack the feature list of kanka.io - especially as it´s free version got all the feature to build in, except upload is limited to 1MB per picture.

The edit options are very good: read / edit / delete / notes --- for every entity AND/OR player.
          The search option shows up by typing the first characters.

Very well designed!

Emigrated successfullly from the "old" to the "new" sandboxy World of Darkness. Mostly playing Requiem, Awakening and the Lost.
          Likes cheesecake

Comment

Working...
          X