Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prehistoric (or after the Judgement Day) World of Darkness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prehistoric (or after the Judgement Day) World of Darkness?

So what does this kind of world of "darkness" look like? We all know modern WoD is a dying world, but when the time is prehistoric, or after the judgement day when the whole tellurian is rebuilding?

Kindred may have much more powerful blood, their generation may be much lower (remember First City, the highest gens is 3rd if we don't consider exception like Nictuku)
    Mage may have very weak paradox or even no; massive mana, mana everywhere; bygones may exist on the Earth everywhere. The Gauntlet is still weak, or material and spirit world are the one.
    Garou and Fera aren't dying races at all; Gnosis everywhere; gaia is still powerful; wyrm may not be very mad.
    Changelings may don't need to exist; True Fae can travel the Earth freely.
    Kuei-jin are Wan Xian, the foremost imbueds, having great power to battle the yama kings.

I know many posts concerned this. What's your idea about this?

• Reasor
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

For my chronicles "deep history", I use the "Flood" as the time of the Severing when Gauntlet arrived and split the Umbra and Realm. That's why there is no evidence of the Antedeluvian civilization or the Deluge even though both happened. All the evidence is now located in the Umbra. "Real history" only began around 12,000 years ago when the Holocene began.
    I love this. It reminds me of a scene from Aronofsky's "mother!" when the Jennifer Lawrence character flushes what I believe is a symbolic stand-in for the Azoth down the drain, marking the point where magic leaves the world and the age of myth gives way to real history.

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    I've occasionally toyed with the idea that what vampire's refer to as Antediluvians are actually survivors from the world before the Gauntlet completely separated the material and spiritual realms, when gods, spirits, ghosts, and true fey could walk the earth with impunity and humans were effectively cattle.
    For my chronicles "deep history", I use the "Flood" as the time of the Severing when Gauntlet arrived and split the Umbra and Realm. That's why there is no evidence of the Antedeluvian civilization or the Deluge even though both happened. All the evidence is now located in the Umbra. "Real history" only began around 12,000 years ago when the Holocene began.

I've never precisely defined what the Antedeluvial civilization was like. It does include elements preserved in human legend (which includes the Bible, but also other mythological legends), but it also includes all the poppycock, but cool, occultism of the Theosophists, the Atlantis legend, Graham Hancock's Ice Age civilization, Hellboy's Hyperborea, Tolkien's Numenor, and some REH's Kull/Conan.
    Last edited by Black Fox; 03-01-2020, 01:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    As far as prehistoric Werewolf goes, there is Weaponized Ink's Werewolf: The Savage Age series from Storytellers Vault/DriveThruRPG.
    (While not something I'm likely to ever use as is, it's got a lot of really interesting ideas and some really cool art work.)

On a more weirder source of possible influences, there's Leviathan by RE Huffman, what is the first in a series about a young Noah in the pre-Flood world in a sort of sword-and-sandles/low fantasy style, with him battling Leviathan (which is a giant prehistoric crocodilian). I've not read it, but plan to at some point. It has riding-dinosaurs and giants.

I've occasionally toyed with the idea that what vampire's refer to as Antediluvians are actually survivors from the world before the Gauntlet completely separated the material and spiritual realms, when gods, spirits, ghosts, and true fey could walk the earth with impunity and humans were effectively cattle.

Regarding post-apocalyptic settings, I always thought it would be interesting to see a post-Time of Judgment setting that incorporated all of the "not with a bang but a whimper" scenarios where the vampires, werewolves, and others have just died out or faded away leaving an early 21st century of minor psychics, ritual magicians, shaman, and arcane investigators in a world of low key weirdness and left over artifacts of lost conspiracies.

For more general post-apocalyptic stuff, I recommend Hero Games' Post-Apocalyptic Hero and GURPS Y2K.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Eldagusto yes, that is what the Babel Project is. But it’s an allusion to the Biblical story of the Tower of Babel, where the people of Babel build a tower tall enough to reach Heaven itself and are destroyed by God for their hubris.

I like your interpretation of Caine and Abel! It makes a lot of sense.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    Okay. I never actually read Demon, just Houses of the Fallen. But in the Bible, Seth was the third son of Adam and Eve, born after Abel was murdered and Cain(e) was banished to Nod. Also, the Tower of Babel came after the Flood.
    I may be misremembering Demon's Babel Project, wasn't that when they were trying to essentially awaken humanity?

And I believe it was an intentional subversion of expectations when Demon revealed Caine and Abel were the last children of Adam and Eve, consequently it really fixes up a lot storyholes. I like to think ego is what corrupted the history of the world into stating Caine and Abel where the first Children of Adam and Eve. But it is easier to imagine how Caine and Abel found wives and how he encountered human settlements after he escaped Lilith harsh tutelage.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Okay. I never actually read Demon, just Houses of the Fallen. But in the Bible, Seth was the third son of Adam and Eve, born after Abel was murdered and Cain(e) was banished to Nod. Also, the Tower of Babel came after the Flood.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    Eldagusto the Time of Babel in Demon is after the time of Enoch the First City.
    Well actually in Demon Caine and Abel are revealed to be the Youngest and last Children of Adam and Eve so they came way after Seth populated the Earth. They have that Babel Project in Demon but that doesn't seem to equate to the Kingdom of Babylon as we know it historically. In the Demon the Fallen Novels they point out the point in time when Caine was cursed actually seemed to occupy a lot of the Angels in the process.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Eldagusto the Time of Babel in Demon is after the time of Enoch the First City.

Leave a comment:

• EvilTyger
    replied
    Thundarr the Barbarian.

Serious, post apocalypse looks like that. The most powerful beings all killed each other off, and the world is just a mess now.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Reasor View Post
    The Ice Age is where dialing the calendar back gets really interesting, to me. The Earth really had, at one time, the swords and sorcery fantasy scenario where a plurality of intelligent humanoid species exist at the same time. What were their cultures like? Who were their Supernaturals? How many of their Supernaturals were precursors to what the World of Darkness has now? How many Neanderthal mages or vampires might have survived to the modern night? I mean, it's an enormous canvass to paint with.
    One point that brings this up is the Ananasi Breed book, the Spider Queen had her Neanderthal Werewspiders Genocide the Neanderthal species the shepard Homo Sapiens evolution. They also mention a prehistoric War with Giant Insects that sound like something between Kami and Shapeshifter and they were the champions of the Weaver.

And Demon the Fallen takes place so long ago, it was a world full of cities before Enoch the First City, It would be hella cool to inspect how the world evolved after the Fallen lost.

Leave a comment:

• Reasor
    replied
    The Ice Age is where dialing the calendar back gets really interesting, to me. The Earth really had, at one time, the swords and sorcery fantasy scenario where a plurality of intelligent humanoid species exist at the same time. What were their cultures like? Who were their Supernaturals? How many of their Supernaturals were precursors to what the World of Darkness has now? How many Neanderthal mages or vampires might have survived to the modern night? I mean, it's an enormous canvass to paint with.

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    I seem to recall the Mage Revised Storyteller's Handbook having sections about running Mage games in different time periods, and/or hypothetical timelines. One of them, of course, was Prehistory. This might be a good source to reference. I haven't read it in a while.

What I vaguely recall is that Mages in those days probably wouldn't use the Spheres, or even the Foundation-Pillars. Everything is much more fluid, and more individual.

I might even go far as to say that, more than any other Mage game, you wouldn't create a system to govern what a prehistoric mage knows. Instead, the players describe their Focus (Paradigm, Practice, and Instruments), then tell the Storyteller what they'll do to make an Effect. They can try anything, so long as they can justify why it might work. They roll their Abilities and/or Arete to see if they can succeed. Either you can do it, or you can't. You won't know until you try.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I always wanted more Fantastical depictions of Prehistory in the World of Darkness.

Let me toss in a personal potential history. The Fae are actually the Malhim who helped win the War. After the war they become selfish and independent and loose their Angelic Legacy except the Xian who work for Heaven after being too indolent and being banished from Heaven.

I want some Wow that's amazing level magic every now and then. Remember Alamut was found by Haquim and had to battle/talk with a Giant Spirit eagle to earn it and he bloodied himself before the Eagle left him with the Eagles nest. I want mysteries like that!

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Originally posted by Logothétēs View Post
    So the whole world is basically (more) grimdark Exalted.
    A high fantasy world , just like DnD and Exalted. But I suspect did anyone use cwod rules to create this...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X