Horrors of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
    Yeah, but I got the impression of a vague connection, like the mask Michael wore might have been an early test model for the ones Silver Shamrock was selling for that big "return to the Dark Ages" plan.

Some fans have speculated about that, but there isn't anything official.

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    I did hear somewhere that Michael Myers was supposed to be an avatar of the Welsh death god Arawn, but that might've just been a fan thing.
    That was part of the plot of part 6, and like a lot of that film, got a mixed reaction from fans.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I've said this before- I'd mark Jason Vorhees are a Shadow-Eaten (Specter controlled) Risen. Makes the most sense considering how much damage he can take and supernatural powers he has at his disposal.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
        I've said this before- I'd mark Jason Vorhees are a Shadow-Eaten (Specter controlled) Risen. Makes the most sense considering how much damage he can take and supernatural powers he has at his disposal.

Fits better as a Gorehound, to me. Hell, even the write-up(by Phil Brucato) and the art depict as 'Jason Voorhees-like' character.

And Gorehounds are TANKS. Can take a ton of damage and are super strong. Much like Jason from parts 6-X.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

Sorry about the quiet in here as I've been slightly offline to deal with some irl things, but I do have to say that I really like No One of Consequences summaries of Jason & Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
            Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
            That movie's whole plot was basically a Pentex-funded Nephandic scheme gone wrong (or terribly right!).

Comment

I grew up watching most of these films, and still remember reading the novelization of Friday the 13th part 6: Jason Lives in Junior High. (This was back when bookstores had a dedicated Horror section, most of them with wonderfully lurid cover art, something I dearly miss.) Alice Cooper's Constrictor album, which is largely the film's soundtrack, is still one of my favorite albums of that decade. (If you can find the music video for "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)" on YouTube, it makes an interesting double feature with Dokken's "Dream Warriors".)

As far as John Carpenter, a lot of his early films could easily be "True Tales of the World of Darkness". Assault on Precinct 13 is one of my go-tos when explaining what I mean when I describe Werewolf as "a game of Savage Horror", and the sort of thing that could easily have really happened during the 1970s, when several of America's major urban areas were essentially war zones. The Fog is a great small town ghost story built around the very gothic idea of a community's long buried past sins coming back to haunt the current generation. And Christine is one of the better adaptions of Stephen King's earlier work. (And If you've never seen them, I also recommend Carpenter's "end of the world trilogy", three unconnected films that all end with what are effectively planetary doomsday scenarios: The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In The Mouth of Madness.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                I grew up watching most of these films, and still remember reading the novelization of Friday the 13th part 6: Jason Lives in Junior High. (This was back when bookstores had a dedicated Horror section, most of them with wonderfully lurid cover art, something I dearly miss.) Alice Cooper's Constrictor album, which is largely the film's soundtrack, is still one of my favorite albums of that decade. (If you can find the music video for "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)" on YouTube, it makes an interesting double feature with Dokken's "Dream Warriors".)

As far as John Carpenter, a lot of his early films could easily be "True Tales of the World of Darkness". Assault on Precinct 13 is one of my go-tos when explaining what I mean when I describe Werewolf as "a game of Savage Horror", and the sort of thing that could easily have really happened during the 1970s, when several of America's major urban areas were essentially war zones. The Fog is a great small town ghost story built around the very gothic idea of a community's long buried past sins coming back to haunt the current generation. And Christine is one of the better adaptions of Stephen King's earlier work. (And If you've never seen them, I also recommend Carpenter's "end of the world trilogy", three unconnected films that all end with what are effectively planetary doomsday scenarios: The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In The Mouth of Madness.)

Prince of Darkness with its concept of 'Anti-God' gave off a solid Nephandi/Neverborn vibe. The Mouth of Madness might as well have had an Aswadim the main antagonist.

Comment

Since I'm a Mage player and not Werewolf player can someone tell me what book Gorehounds are in. They sound like they'd make a good watchdog for my baddie in an upcoming story.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuch View Post
                    Since I'm a Mage player and not Werewolf player can someone tell me what book Gorehounds are in. They sound like they'd make a good watchdog for my baddie in an upcoming story.
                    They're in the first and second editions of Book of the Wyrm (I don't know about the WW20 material). If you have the revised edition of Mage's Book of Madness, the rules for the Devil-Eaten in the Infernalism chapter can be used to create them and most basic Fomori.

Comment

Anyone want to take a stab at the first couple of Dark Castle films from the turn of the Millennium (House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts, and Ghost Ship)?

Comment

I've actually never seen those so I really can't take any stabs as what those may look like within the World of Darkness.

•Within a respectably sized mid-western city in the United States, a series of virulent outbreaks in the late 90s caused a quarantine of one 'Raccoon City'. The official story was that a medical research center accidentally released a hybrid strain of rabies into the population and that government action was sufficient to isolate and eliminate the outbreak and reprimand the institution. However details seem oddly scant and many conspiracy theorists now consider Raccoon City to be alongside Area 51, Roswell, Fort Knox, and Point Plesant within sites of note for the American conspiracy theorist canon.

Comment

I do recommend them, as they have absolutely beautiful set design and a nicely fleshed out mythology behind the stories. 13 Ghosts especially, as the house in it is the sort of thing that screams to be used as a Mage chantry.

Comment

I'll have to check them out.

Comment

Hmm. Chucky, evil human soul trapped in a doll body or malevolent Inanimie Mannikin?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuch View Post

Like NOoC said, 1st and 2nd edition of Book of the Wyrm.

They are also fleshed out(pun intended) in Freak Legion, which is a great book for creating Fomori.

They are in Book of the Wyrm 20th, and there are two types given: The typical Jason Voorhees/Michael Myers slasher, and a new type which is more Patrick Bateman-style.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

Working...
                                X