No announcement yet.

Horrors of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly I feel like Chucky would work really well as the former (evil/demonic soul within a doll) that maybe inspires the dark dreams that would create 'copycat inanimae'.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the reallife stories that surround the 'Annabelle' doll that is supposedly possessed by a demonic entity. A sort of demonic urban legend with a few movie and tv adaptions that allude to a long history of real world accounts of tragedies and paranormal activities.

(Also I can't speak to the veracity of the real world doll equivalent, although I'm the sort that likes to cross them self just to be on the safe side, so take that as you will)

Comment

So, The Stepfather is a rather low-key 1987 film starring Terry O'Quinn (of Lost fame) as a serial family annihilator who marries widowed mothers in an effort to create an ideal nuclear family only to have it continuously go wrong as his own mental issues derail things. One of the things that makes it so interesting (in addition to O'Quinn's great performance) is that the main character - who has changed identities so often that he know longer seems to know who he really is - is presented as almost normal on the surface (in contrast to the way most serial killers in films get presented as obvious psychopaths) who could almost be sympathetic. I find that the title character makes a rather interesting inspiration for certain vampires, wraiths, or even changelings, and something like this has more likely than not really happened in the World of Darkness.

(The sequels are skippable, though I give the second film credit for at least trying some things different than the usual slasher film sequels. The 2009 remake, on the other hand, is a car wreck, and not in a good way, tending to screw up everything that the original did that made it work so well.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

That does sound like really good World of Darkness fodder yeah, I'll put that down and I'll try to look into that one.

Serial killer movies in general are always one of the things that I imagine as useful for imagining a significant portion of the WoD.

Comment

A few odd ones.

Alligator (1980) is at the tail end of the 1970s flood of "when animals attack" films (a trend that was bolstered by both the initial wave of environmental doomsday-ism and the wild success of Jaws), and for such a film that is also clearly a B-movie, it's actually a decent film. It's based on the "pet baby alligator flushed down the toilet" urban legend, in this case with the added bit that said alligator has been feeding on dead lab animals dumped in the sewer system by an unethical pharmaceutical company trying to develop livestock growth hormones. The end result is an alligator the size of a small bus with a massively jacked up metabolism and constant hunger that is roaming around this city's sewer system and eventually out in the open. (One of the highlights is Henry Silva as a big game hunter brought in to try to track the beast, and his scenery chewing elevates what is already a strange film into the realm of wonderfully crazy.) This is one of those things that could easily have happened in the World of Darkness, especially with a company like Magadon and other PENTEX companies (or companies run as Syndicate fronts or even one or more vampires working on ways to increase their food supply). It would probably have turned into one of those "hey remember when" stories, like when the Cuyahoga River caught fire or when the Mayor of Tallahassee was found in a hotel room doing crystal meth with two male prostitutes, brought up from time to time but not a major part of history.

Chopping Mall (1986), aka Killbots, is as much a comedy as it is a horror film, involving a bunch of teens who work at the mall having a party after hours only to be attacked by the mall's malfunctioning robot security force. It is in some ways a throwback to films of the 50s and 60s mashed up with a slasher film. It was filmed on location at the Sherman Oaks Galleria in LA. The owner was a huge movie fan, so he let a lot of studios film there for little money, and it appears in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Commando, Valley Girl, and other films, making it the archetypical 80s shopping mall. Anyway, it's another of those things that could have happened, what with a secret conspiracy (Iteration X) looking to advance the use of robot technology in society or something like PENTEX trying to test possible new anti-Garou weapons.

Trick or Treat (1986) is a personal favorite of mine. It involves a social outcast heavy metal fan (who is really a great inspiration for a non-Goth Hollow One of the period) who gets a hold of the only pressing of the final album of his late heavy metal idol. However, it turns out that said rock star was involved in Satanism and his soul is tied to the record, and when the protagonist plays the album backwards (this was a thing in the 80s) it unleashes his malevolent ghost. It's a weird but fun bit of 80s craziness. And again, it's the sort of thing that could easily happen in the World of Darkness, where Infernalism and demonic pacts are a real thing and restless ghosts - evil and otherwise - tied to material objects are fairly common.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
          X