Horrors of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrors of Darkness

Thinking about things that are horror properties in our real world and what they might be like instead in the World of Darkness. Hope y'all find these interesting and invite folks to add their own ideas.

•'The Blair Witch Project' is a genuine piece of found footage which seems to illustrate the descent into madness and disappearance of three young film students in Brackittsville, Maryland. The footage did prompt searches in nearby communities but nothing came of it. The film has reached underground cult status and while all attempts to create major motion pictures based of it have either been buried or heavily edited, many are fascinated by the tale of the Blair Witch of the Black Woods...

•'Halloween' is perhaps one of the most aggreguous exploitation films ever made. Or at least it was in the late 70s... Hollywood in the Workd of Darkness has outdone itself recently. In this world, Michael Myers is a real man, a native of Haddonfield, Illinois. In 1963 the six-year old M. Myers murdered his older sister before being institutionalized. 15 years later he escaped and killed 4 people in Haddonsfield before vanishing. He is believed to still be at large, Laurie Strode remained traumatized for life by her experiences, and was outraged to find her story exaggerated and titulated and then the studio created their own fanfiction imaging Michael's future escapades while he remained at large. Her attempted suit was thrown out of court.

•Camp Crystal Lake, New Jersey is the site of a common urban legend where people seem to have been dying for decades since either the mid 1950s or even earlier according to legend. These real life cases of people dying and reports of a masked figure haunting the surrounding woodland as well as horrific humanoid figures in the lake itself.

(Inspired by popular horror films and me trying to give these three examples distinct feelings, but I do hope y'all enjoy this. Plus, don't feel obligated to hornshos the stories into splats, I was just thinking about what these stories might be like as realities within the World of Darkness)

I really like these.

Michael and Jason would be great as Slashers from CoD or Gorehounds from Book of the Wyrm. The Blair Witch could possibly be a Nosferatu with some knowledge of Blood Sorcery or even Ogham (the old Lhiannan Discipline).

Thanks for inspiring me 😊.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Question

How are Michael Myers and Jason different?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
        Question

Like what do you mean? Different how?

You've been playing around the magic that is black
        But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Origins. Powers. Stuff they do. Weaknesses.

Comment

They're pretty similar as archetypal stalking and unstoppable slashers. If I had to distinguish them thematically though:

•Michael Myers is the corruption of suburban innocence, the reminder that you're never totally safe. Anyone can become a killer...

•Jason is a somewhat tragic figure whose fate is either the impetus that drives others mad and they avenge them, or Jason himself returns to exact vengeance on those he perceives as causing his death.

Also, thank ya!

Comment

I like the description you gave of Michael Myers. He sounds like he’d make a good Gorehound (or Slasher).

Comment

Very welcome 😊

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                  Question

The answer is sort of nebulous, as neither is all that defined in their films, and certain aspects change from film to film.

Jason Voorhees is, initially, just a disfigured semi-feral hermit living in the woods around the abandoned camp, but after seeing his mother die, kills the girl who killed her, and then returns to his territory and becomes extremely and violently territorial. He's a really big guy, and extraordinarily strong (this has been theorized as some sort of atavistic throwback, but it could just as easily be that he's like Lenny from Of Mice and Men). While being incredibly durable, he's not supernatural in any way, and is killed. Then after being in the ground for at least a decade, he's dug up and struck by lighting, bring him back as a walking corpse that pretty much ignores physical damage before being chained to a large rock and sunk in the lake, where he seems to enter a kind of hibernation and only reactivates if disturbed by something.
                  Jason Goes to Hell largely rewrote most of the mythos, including the implication that his father may have used the Necronomicon to bring him back to life after he initially drowned as a child, and that if his body is destroyed his spirit can take over a new one. (A lot of these changes are controversial among long time fans of the series and character.) Jason X presents the idea that Jason is some sort of mutation that is able to regenerate his cells even from extreme damage and possible cell-death. (I'm honestly surprised there was never a Wolverine vs Jason comic book at some point.)

Michael Myers is, initially, a sociopath/psychopath who grows up into another one of those freakishly impressive physical prodigies (again, like Lenny), and his single minded obsession seems to allow him to overcome things - gunshot wounds - that would usually debilitate a normal person. Dr. Loomis describes him as Pure Evil!, and one of the strengths of the original film is that you get the sense that Loomis may not be entirely off base in this, even though the film is pretty grounded in the real world. The fourth and fifth films seem to make him more paranatural, with the idea that he is some sort of evil force rather than a person. Part 6 introduced a full blown supernatural cult aspect to the entire thing (this was a thing in the 90s, and like Jason, fans didn't like it). Everything after that were soft or hard reboots, first ignoring everything but the first two films, then redoing it as exploitation fodder, and finally ignoring everything but the original film.

I figure that in the World of Darkness, both films could have been presented as "based on a true story"/"inspired by true events" (the way Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Amityville Horror were), but the truth would probably be "a kid drowned at a summer camp and his mom flipped out and killed some councilors" and "a kid killed his family on Halloween and years later escaped the mental hospital and killed some people" with a lot of embellishment and the sequels just making stuff up for exploitation value.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Thank you. That’s really helpful.

Comment

Didn't Halloween 3: Season of the Witch offer a supernatural explanation for Michael Myers?

Comment

Matt the Bruins fan I actually know the answer to that because I watched it . He wasn't even in that one. It was some other villain who made kids' heads explode.

Comment

Yeah, but I got the impression of a vague connection, like the mask Michael wore might have been an early test model for the ones Silver Shamrock was selling for that big "return to the Dark Ages" plan.

Comment

Really? Thanks! I never thought of that. (Of course, I was like ten when I watched it...)

Comment

I did hear somewhere that Michael Myers was supposed to be an avatar of the Welsh death god Arawn, but that might've just been a fan thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X