WoD Stuff to Watch While Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoD Stuff to Watch While Home

So, with a lot of people stuck at home, I figured it would be worthwhile to share suggestions on stuff to watch that makes good WoD viewing. My only really criteria here is that it be stuff that's available on various streaming services - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. - without requiring any additional outlay of money.

I'll start with three on Amazon Prime.

Annihilation (2018), with Natalie Portman as the leader of a team investigating a warp in reality. It's an interesting visual inspiration for landscapes that are both alien and familiar at the same time (including those of the Umbra).

Edge of Darkness (2010), a low key outing with Mel Gibson as a father investigating the death of his daughter. I especially recommend it for Vampire and Werewolf viewing, for reasons.

The Decent (2005), in which a group of women go caving and regret it.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Others might not agree, but I think The Pagemaster is a great Changeling story. I don't know if its on any streaming services but it could work for a high Glamour Changeling as the Pagemaster enchanting the boy in order to inspire him as he would be very high Banality beforehand. The Library being the Freehold, the Fantasy World being the Dreaming and the books being Chimera.
    Its cheesy but one of my favorite childhood movies.

Comment

What We Do In The Shadows, both the 2014 movie and 2019 is a lighthearted take on Vampire the Masquerade IMO. It's gloriously goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by hachiman View Post
        What We Do In The Shadows, both the 2014 movie and 2019 is a lighthearted take on Vampire the Masquerade IMO. It's gloriously goofy.
        Season 2 of the show premieres next month!

I've been looking for copies of the classic cold war nuclear scares of my childhood from the 80's, like "The Day After" or Threads," but I'm not seeing anything budget-friendly on any of the streaming services I currently have accounts on.

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
          I've been looking for copies of the classic cold war nuclear scares of my childhood from the 80's, like "The Day After" or Threads," but I'm not seeing anything budget-friendly on any of the streaming services I currently have accounts on.
          If you've never seen it, 1988's Miracle Mile is a really good one. It's currently available for rent on Amazon Prime and apparently for free if you have the PlutoTV app. (However, Pluto has ad breaks during its movies, and no search function, so actually finding something specific on it is kind of a pain.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

And a few things currently on Netflix.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (2015), a BBC miniseries based on Susanna Clarke's excellent novel about faerie magic, wizards and fair folk during the early 19th century of Britain. If you're a Mage or Changeling fan, it's worth a watch.

Candyman (1992), based on one of Clive Barker's novellas, about an urban legend come to life in Chicago's notorious Cabrini-Green housing projects. If you've never seen it, I recommend it. Tony Todd is, IMO, an underrated actor, and there's a lot to mine here for WoD ideas, be it doing Chicago by Night in the late 80s and early 90s, the idea of a malevolent Chimera trying to make itself "real" in Changeling, the impact of Wraith hauntings on a community, or a concept for a certain type of Arcanum witch hunter.

Rosemary's Baby (1968), a low-key horror classic involving secret Satanic cults.

The Princess and The Frog (2009), one of the last things Disney did using traditional animation, set in New Orleans with a voodoo bokor voiced by Keith David for the villain.

The 9th Precinct (2019), a rather odd Taiwanese film involving a secret police branch that deals with ghosts and hauntings. Rather fun, and an interesting source for the forthcoming WoD: Ghosthunters as well as Year of the Lotus/Middle Kingdom paranormal investigators.

He Never Died (2015), with aging punk icon Henry Rollins starting as a cursed immortal totally divorced from humanity forced into a relationship with a now grown daughter he didn't know he had.

Comment

Locke and Key, October Faction, The Order, Always a Witch, Jinn, Spectrez, Dark, Hemlock Grove,Requiem, Glitch, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Ghoul, Santa Clarita Diet, iZombie, Penny Dreadful, Crazyhead.

That should get you started.

Comment

Just watched Annhilation and I liked it, but then I like the kinda wierd WTF movies. The landscapes though as said were phenomenal and very Middle Umbra for sure.

Comment

I just watched The Ritual last night, and highly recommend it. I think I'd peg it as most echoing the vibe I felt from early Werewolf games, though I suppose it could easily bee seen in light of Changeling too.

Comment

These are some movies that resonate with me as either inspired by White Wolfs RPGs or movies that White Wolf took inspiration from.

The Crow - As Gothic punk a movie as I can possibly thing of.

The Freightners - A comedic movie but one that has a lot of good inspiration for a Wraith game or another game featuring wraiths.

Doctor Strange - Never played Mage but from what Ive read of it you could do worse for a movie that deals with themes of the game.

Underworld - Like it or not the blatant WoD rip off did a good job of making an entertaining vampire v werewolf action movie and has the right gothic motif.

Skinwalkers - Maybe a B movie but one that succeeds in many ways in creating a tense thriller featuring werewolves.

Comment

If we're gonna mention The Frighteners and The Crow, lemme toss The Prophecy on to that pile. A Classic for the Demon The Fallen players amongst us.

Comment

A few things currently streaming on HULU.

Pet Semitary (2019), the recent remake. I've always considered this a really good WoD story, as it involves the idea of cursed ground and evil spirits.

The Cabin in the Woods (2011), because I recently rewatched this with the idea that this is how PENTEX's Slaughterhouse Video currently makes its horror films.

The French Connection (1971), a classic about cops vs heroin smugglers in NYC.

Odd Thomas (2014), based on the first book in a series by Dean Koontz, about a medium/psychic who can see malevolent spirits.

The Possession (2012), about a young girl possessed by a Jewish spectre known as a dybbuk.

Mimic (1997), an experiment resulting in giant bugs in the city's underground subways.

Pi (1998), a rather surreal bit about a mathematician who ends up being pursued by a Wall Street conspiracy and Jewish numerologists.

Comment

Kindred The Embraced. At one time, I might have said that it wasn't a good representation of the WoD, because it was too different from the actual WoD (and V:tM) as written, in addition to having been so melodramatic and self-serious despite being very campy, that it came off like a farce. I actually told a friend once that it was V:tM only by virtue of having been (a) about vampires, and (b) having licensed the use of certain proper nouns.

Having said that, and given recent developments in the direction taken by the actual tabletop game (i.e., what constitutes being "authentic" to V:tM as of late)... I have to admit that history appears to have acquitted Kindred the Embraced. It was clearly just way ahead of its time!
                          Last edited by CaptOtter; 03-23-2020, 06:34 PM.

Sig

Comment

Some more stuff on Amazon Prime video.

Demon City Shinjuku (1988), a classic anime film that was an influence on certain parts of KotE.

Sleepy Hollow (1999), one of those fun "Goth 90s" films, back before Tim Burton and Johnny Depp became hollow parodies of themselves.

Childs Play (1988), a classic slasher film and one of the better ones from the post-Nightmare on Elm Street supernatural slasher period.

Dog Soldiers (2002), one of the better werewolf films.

Teen Wolf (2011+), the dark reimagining that aired on MTV.

Mr. Robot (2015+)

Deadwood (2004 - 2006)

Comment

Finished watching Book of Blood on Amazon Prime tonight. It's based on a short story by Clive Barker from his debut anthology Books of Blood, and I would put it up there with the original Hellraiser and Candyman films. I highly recommend it if you like ghost stories, are a Wraith fan, or are looking forward to the forthcoming WoD Ghosthunters book.

Comment

Working...
                              X