Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone be interested in reading this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anyone be interested in reading this?

I really like the Arthurian mythos, so since I’m stuck home with nothing to do anyway I made a chronology of how the Arthurian stories would play out in a homebrew version of the WoD/CoD. (It has elements of both.) It’s not super long, about four pages. Would you guys be interested in reading that?

“The Bonnie Prince is a clever, slippery snake with enough charm to convince good men (and women) that he’s God’s Chosen One. If we don’t stop him from raising this rebellion, we’re all going to be staring down into the abyss at Culloden Moor.”

I can give it a look if you like, although I might be a lil bit getting back to you dependin on how my day goes today.

Comment

That’s okay. I decided I want to hold off on sharing it for a while. But thanks anyway.

“The Bonnie Prince is a clever, slippery snake with enough charm to convince good men (and women) that he’s God’s Chosen One. If we don’t stop him from raising this rebellion, we’re all going to be staring down into the abyss at Culloden Moor.”

Comment

Sounds like it could be interesting. They have reimagined the Arthurian legend a few ways in both World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness. The most prominent being Mage the Awakening using Camelot as an Atlantis Analogue, and Changeling the Dreaming having the Spirit of Arthur in the Form of High King David and the Sword Caliburn.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Eldagusto thanks 😊. I combined both of those ideas (and a couple others) when I wrote my history. Is it definitely official canon that High King David is the reincarnation of King Arthur? That was always my interpretation ever since I read about it in one of the Changeling books.

I love how they subverted the legend and made it so that Morwen still likes David, but even though he likes her back he won’t act on his feelings because she’s in his sister’s body in this incarnation and you just don’t do that in the 21st century. (Presumably since they don’t have any kids Morwen never actually succeeded in getting with him the way Morgan le Fay did with the original Arthur.)

Comment

No worries fam.

Comment

I am gonna post it. Most of the historical stuff comes from the Pendragon RPG. The WoD/CoD stuff is a mixture of Changeling: the Dreaming (mostly cause I like it a lot better than Changeling: the Lost) and Mage: the Awakening, with a few elements of Vampire: the Requiem, Promethean: the Created, Hunter: the Vigil and Princess: the Hopeful.

Comment

475 The Welsh king Bron the Blessed, the keeper of the Black Cauldron, is Embraced by a Roman Ventrue. After being Embraced, Bron stakes his Sire, drains her blood into the Cauldron and drinks it. The Black Cauldron shatters, but King Bron gains the unique Discipline of Crochan and founds the Bron bloodline.

480 Britain’s High King Ambrosius dies in battle with the Saxons. His protege Uther Pendragon, a Welsh king who is Kinain to House Gwydion, becomes the new High King. Merlin, an Acanthus thearch, becomes Uther’s advisor.

483 The Ondine Nimue (the future Lady of the Lake) is born.

491 The future King Arthur is conceived as the son of Uther Pendragon and Igraine, duchess of Tintagel and Kinain to House Eiluned. Igraine’s husband Gorlois dies in battle with the Saxons the night Arthur is conceived. Igraine and Gorlois also have two daughters, a Thyrsus Mage named Morgause and a sidhe Noble of House Eiluned named Morgaine.

492 Merlin spirits the infant Arthur away to safety. King Pellinore begins hunting a Bygone known as the Questing Beast.

495 Using the Mind Arcanum, Merlin convinces Morgaine to kill Uther after he rapes her. Morgaine uses a fae Cantrip to poison the wine at Uther’s victory feast, and Uther and several other barons die horribly. Merlin also places the Sword in the Stone in St. Paul’s Cathedral in London.

497 Queen Guinevere is born.

508 Sir Lancelot is born in France.

Comment

510 Arthur Pendragon, a noble of House Gwydion, draws the Sword in the Stone and is crowned as king of the Summer Court and High King of Britain. Arthur takes his childhood mentor Merlin as his advisor. Guinevere, the daughter of King Leodegranz of Cameliard, Blossoms as a Princess of Hearts. Arthur loses his virginity with Lyzianor, daughter of the earl of Bedegraine. Arthur and Guinevere meet for the first time.

511 Arthur creates an official code of chivalry which is adopted by mortal and Kithain knights throughout Britain. He then hooks up with Morgaine at the Beltane festival and she gets pregnant.

512 The Sword in the Stone shatters after Arthur defeats High Lord Cathal of House Balor, king of the Winter Court. Viviane, the Lady of the Lake, gives Arthur an enchanted sword named Excalibur and a scabbard that heals his wounds. Merlin then kidnaps Arthur and Morgaine’s infant son Mordred.

513 King Lot of Orkney leads eleven other kings in rebellion against Arthur. Lot dies in battle and the others sue for peace.

514 Arthur married Guinevere and creates the Knights of the Round Table. The Aegis Kai Doru recruits several knights, including Arthur’s brave but impulsive cousin Gawaine and his scheming brother Agravaine, into its ranks as the Order of the Black Knight. The Aegis Kai Doru forged the Black Knight’s armor from the shards of the Black Cauldron.

515 The bloodthirsty Sir Balin, a member of the Black Knights, finds the Spear of Longinus and wounds King Bron with it. Balin then dies in battle with his twin brother Balan.

516 Arthur’s foster brother Cai gets one of the kitchen maids pregnant:

518 King Arthur routs the Saxons at Badon.

Comment

In hindsight, I'm honestly a little surprised at how little of Arthurian legend made it in to the World of Darkness. Besides the stuff from Changeling with High King David and some stuff in Isle of the Mighty, a brief bit about the Sleeping King legend in Gurahl, and some of the possible options presented in Mage's revised Storytellers Handbook, I don't think there is anything.

I'm pondering some sort of lost Wraith Dark Kingdom from pre-Saxon Britain. That and the myth of Camelot being inspired by some ancient lost Fianna or White Howler caern.

Cai/Kay has always been one of my favorite characters, at least from the earlier stories (when he could go nine days without needing the sleep or breath, grow as tall as a tree when he wanted, and generate magic heat from his hands), as one of Arthur's most loyal and fiercest followers.
                    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 04-03-2020, 09:04 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Thanks for answering 😊. I like the idea of Arthur being a Gurahl (the name Arturus means “bear” in Latin, I think). I also thought of the pretender Vortigern (he fought Uther for the throne before Arthur was born) going to the Black Spiral Pits in Caledonia and coming back as a fomor, but I forgot to include it.

I like Cai too. He was originally from the old Welsh legends of Arthur, long before the romances of the High Middle Ages.

I’m gonna post more on Monday.

Comment

I've read theories that Cai may have originated in some fashion from the stories of Cu Chulainn, which would be interesting if true, and would be an interesting twist if one were to do a Verbena/Old Faith + Fey centered take on Camelot.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

That is fascinating!

Was Cu Chulainn Welsh or Irish?

Comment

Irish, but, if he does date back that far (and with Irish mythology it's unfortunately often hard to tell), it's not inconceivable that his stories would've spread to parts of Britain. Again, it's one of those "if it's true ..." things that are often fun to play around with in RPG settings and other fictions.

Comment

521 Morgaine convinces one of her boyfriends (Sir Accolon) to steak Arthur’s scabbard.

522 Ten year-old Mordred arrives at Camelot and is taken in by his aunt Morgause, the widowed Queen of Orkney, to raise along with her own four boys (Gawaine, Agravaine, Gaheris and Gareth).

523 Nimue betrays her lover Merlin and imprisons him in an oak tree. She then takes her mother Viviane’s place as the Lady of the Lake. Merlin’s apprentice Taliesin, an Acanthus Mystagogue who is also a talented musician, becomes Arthur’s new advisor.

524 A French knight named Lancelot comes to Camelot to join the Knights of the Round Table. Lancelot and Guinevere meet for the first time and catch feels for each other. Lancelot and Arthur later become best friends.

526 Lancelot kills a Thallain ogre who has been terrorizing the duchy of Brittany.

527 Arthur travels to Constantinople for the Byzantine emperor Justinian’s coronation. While Arthur is away, Guinevere holds the first Court of Love at Camelot and makes out with Lancelot for the first time.

529 Tristan of Lyonesse, a young noble of House Liam, defeats and kills Sir Marhaus, the son of King Angus of Leinster in Ireland. Sir Borre, King Arthur’s Kinain son by Lyzianor, is knighted by his father.

530 Lady Gwrly of House Liam and Lady Angharad of House Fiona, two Firstborn sidhe who had previously been Best Friends Forever, both fall for the Awakened bard Taliesin. Taliesin has a threesome with Gwrly and Angharad and they both get pregnant (Beltane is a fertility festival). Gwrly miscarries after nine weeks, but Angharad gives birth to a beautiful baby girl. They stop being best friends after this. Mordred goes through his Saining and becomes a noble of House Ailil. His foster brother Gareth joins House Fiona (Gareth is the only one of the Orkney brothers to become Kithain).

Comment

Working...
                              X