Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone be interested in reading this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penelope
    started a topic Would anyone be interested in reading this?

Would anyone be interested in reading this?

I really like the Arthurian mythos, so since I’m stuck home with nothing to do anyway I made a chronology of how the Arthurian stories would play out in a homebrew version of the WoD/CoD. (It has elements of both.) It’s not super long, about four pages. Would you guys be interested in reading that?

• Penelope
    replied
    558-566: Everything Comes Crashing Down

I will dance, I will sing
    And my life shall be gay
    I will charm every heart
    In its crown I will sway...

558 Morgaine and Mordred begin plotting against Arthur.

561 Morgaine and Mordred try to blame Guinevere for the poisoned apple that kills Sir Patrice, but Kay solves the mystery and exonerates Guinevere.

562 Elaine of Astolat, a Princess of Mirrors, starts crushing on Lancelot after he saves her from committing suicide over her previous crush.

563 Merlin escapes and shatters the Dream of Camelot by giving Mordred and Agravaine enough evidence to expose Guinevere and Lancelot’s relationship. This is the final phase of Merlin’s plan to Ascend and become an Oracle of Fate. Enraged at being betrayed by his wife and his best friend, Arthur finds Guinevere guilty of adultery and orders her burned at the stake.

Putting her crush’s feelings above her own for the first time, Princess Elaine of Astolat helps Lancelot rescue Guinevere, but he ends up killing Agravaine and his brother Gaheris while doing so. Lancelot and Guinevere then travel to France with a large group of knights who support them over Arthur.

564 Lancelot fights Gawaine, who once again wears the armor of the Black Knight, in a duel to the death over Guinevere’s honor. Lancelot kills Gawaine, but dies from his wounds shortly after. A grief-stricken Guinevere retires to the Kingdom to become the new Queen of Hearts. A Lune who watches the whole drama then assumes Lancelot’s form and becomes Prince Charming, the ultimate seducer of Radiant Princesses.

565 While Arthur is in France, Morgaine persuades Mordred to mount a rebellion and proclaim himself King. Arthur kills Mordred at the battle of Camlann, but is mortally wounded himself as well. Merlin then brings Mordred back and makes him the new Aeon of Fate.

Regretting her role in her brother’s death, Morgaine brings Arthur’s body to the freehold of Avalon, but her grandfather Avallach, the High Lord of House Eiluned, refuses to let her use the Black Cauldron to bring Arthur back to life. In despair, Morgaine places Arthur in a deathless sleep and lays Excalibur on his chest.

566 The Saxon chieftains Ceawlin and Cutha kill the last Pendragon, Mordred’s Kinain son Melehan, and complete the Saxon conquest of Britain. Gareth Beaumayn, the last surviving knight of Camelot, travels to southern France and founds a new Noble House, which he calls House Beaumayn.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    No One of Consequence I agree!!! I like it 😊.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    My usual go to explanation for what happened to Camelot and why there are no historical records or archaeology left when world building is to borrow from an early issue of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, in which a Baghdad Cailif turned his kingdom of magic and wonder into a dream/story so that it would last forever. I just sub Merlin for the Cailif.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    In my version, Avalon is a freehold controlled by House Eiluned. The Kingdom of Apples in upstate New York is a reference to the isle of Avalon in King Arthur’s time, just like Queen Mab is a reference to the Shakespeare character from Romeo and Juliet.

Also, in my version, years later after everything goes down Merlin creates a Horizon Realm called Avalon (I forget what Horizon Realms are called in M:tAw) which is basically a recreation of Camelot at the height of its glory.

Lancelot was defo a badass 😊. He was the greatest knight in Britain and Guinevere really loved him, but he was “only” a mortal, which is why Guinevere had him Enchanted so he would stay young and beautiful just like her.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    And in this is Avalon in Arcadia? I always thought the Kingdom of Apples is a reference to it being the New Avalon. If Lancelot existed in the World of Darkness he must have been a badass.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Sending Dracula back in time as a final exam for Scholomancy is brilliant! That concept does deserve to be in a comic, I mean they even had Apocalypse vs Dracula in Marvel.

But Galahad is my Fave! Very interesting Choice to have the Grail brought to Arcadia as a source of ultimate panacea!

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    554-557: the Grail Quest

She wears short skirts
    I wear T-shirts
    She’s cheer captain and
    I’m in the bleachers
    You belong with me...

I picked this song cause I like Taylor Swift and it’s romantic and like the Grail Quest it’s about longing for something you can probably never have.

554 Galahad is knighted by his father. A beautiful maiden appears carrying the Holy Grail.

556 King Mark becomes a Dauntain when he finds out that his wife Isolt and Tristan are still messing around together. Mark then murders Tristan with a cold iron blade during the Beltane festival. Tristan’s True Love Isolt kills herself when she finds out and Tristan’s freehold of Lyonesse sinks beneath Lake Bala.

557 Galahad finds the Holy Grail and kisses the Grail Maiden. The spell is broken and the Wasteland blossoms once again. Galahad then uses the Grail to heal the wound inflicted on King Bron by the Spear of Longinus and free Kli Kodesh, the Nosferatu who brought the Grail and the Spear to Britain, from the Curse.

Bron Embraces Percival, one of Galahad’s companions. The Bron bloodline splits between those who follow Bron and those who follow Percival. The reforged Black Cauldron used by Bron to create the bloodline contains a portion of the Dark Mother’s essence and the Holy Grail is a Supernal artifact from the Aether.

Galahad brings the Grail to Arcadia. (the domain of the sidhe, not the Supernal Realm), where it becomes known as the Cup of Dreams. Anyone who drinks the cool sweet water from the Cup will be healed of any curses or traumas and restored to the way they were. Blessed be, girl. Blessed be 💕.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    I think my favorite bit of Arthuriana, at least in terms of over the top concept, was a comic series from 10 or 15 years ago, King Arthur vs Dracula, in which right after Dracula gets turned into a vampire, the devil sends him back in time to wage war against Camelot with an army of undead. Weirdly, I can actually see this working as part of Stoker's Dracula, with this being Vlad's final exam test when graduating the Scholomance.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    My fave is Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Mists of Avalon. I like both of your ideas. Mine is kind of like your Avalonia, but more serious. That’s why I included the part about Camelot being a freehold. If you’re Kithain (or Enchanted) and you stay in a freehold, you don’t age and you stay young and beautiful forever.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Regarding Arthurian fiction, I've long been a fan of Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment) and its follow up about the life of Mordred, The Wicked Day, since my aunt introduced me to them several years ago. (There's a fifth stand alone story, The Prince and the Pilgrim, which I've yet to read.) Also Bernard Cornwall's The Warlord Chronicles, which incorporates a lot of Roman Mithras cult stuff into Arthur's background.
    And then there's Tom McGowen's Sir MacHinery, a 1971 story about a mechanical robot with a computer brain that ends up a Knight of Camelot.

I used to do some superhero-esque Camelot stuff with the Mutants & Masterminds RPG, with Merlin's secret knights (including MacHinery, Sir Ironside the Red Knight, The Green Knight, and a pastiche of Jack Kirby's Demon), and what I called Avalonia & The Young Knights of Camelot (with Arthur and Guinevere's daughter and various "second generation" characters like super-broody Mordred, Galahad, Gawain, and Merlin's apprentice Nimue, as a sort of high school anime/Power Rangers type thing).

I'll also note that the mange/anime Seven Deadly Sins is supposed to be set in a version of Arthurian Britain.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    543 After his wife and baby die in childbirth, Tristan remembers his True Love Isolt and goes mad with grief. He comes to Camelot and jousts with Lancelot at the first tournament. In the end, Arthur declares them both the winners of the tournament.

544 Agravaine catches his mother Morgause, who has been using the Life Arcanum to stay young and beautiful, in bed with King Pellinore’s son Lamorak, his hated rival. When Morgause screams at him to get out, Agravaine flies into a rage and kills her.

545 Wearing the armor of the Black Knight, Sir Gawaine slays the chosen champion of the Legion of the Green, an order of Kindred and ghoul knights who serve the Weihan Cynn Covenant, in a duel with all of Camelot watching.

547 Elaine and her son Galahad come to Camelot. Lancelot sleeps with Elaine again and gets caught by Guinevere, who banishes him from Camelot.

548 A plague called the Yellow Pestilence strikes Britain.

549 Tristan and Isolt run away together. Lancelot lets them stay at Joyous Garde, his castle in France.

551 Lancelot makes up with Guinevere and returns to Camelot. Arthur finds out that Mordred is his son.

552 Agravaine convinces his brothers Gawaine and Gaheris to help him murder Lamorak for “defiling” their mother Morgause. Gareth, his youngest brother, refuses to get involved and even tries to warn Lamorak.

Whoever has been Liking these, thank you again 😊.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    533 Tristan falls for King Angus’s daughter Isolt. (He doesn’t tell Isolt he killed her brother.)

534 Tristan’s uncle King Mark, also a noble of House Liam, asks him to bring Isolt back from Ireland to marry Mark. Tristan agreed out of a sense of duty, but he is not happy about this. On the return trip, Tristan and Isolt accidentally drink a fae love potion together and basically go crazy for each other. Mordred flies into a rage when his mother Morgaine tells him he’s Arthur’s son. Lancelot kills a Saxon Knight named Sir Turquine. A Galateid named Elaine who was created by King Bron before he became a vampire falls for Lancelot and disguised herself as Guinevere to have sex with him. Elaine’s fervent desire for a baby lets her get pregnant, and nine months later she has a son named Galahad who is immune to Disquiet and the effects of the Wasteland.

535 Tristan and Isolt are caught in bed together by King Mark. Tristan flees to France.

536 A knight named Meleagrant kidnaps Guinevere. After Lancelot rescues her, they go all the way for the first time. Guinevere gives Lancelot her Trinket (her headband) and gets Morgaine to Enchant him so he won’t age as long as he stays in Camelot.

537 Sir Percival visits King Bron’s castle and accidentally activates the Spear of Longinus, causing the Wasteland to spread across much of the British Midlands. Percival brings the Spear to Arthur, who then gives it to the Aegis Kai Doru. Tristan married Isolt le Blanch Mains, daughter of the Duke of Brittany.

541 Arthur’s son Borre dies in battle with the French.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Nimue is an Ondine, a water Inanimae (that part was my idea). Merlin is an Acanthus Mage of the Silver Ladder (Dave Brookshaw said that and I really liked his idea, it fits Merlin perfectly). Yeah, I know you’re not supposed to do crossovers, but I really prefer Changeling: the Dreaming to Changeling: the Lost, and nothing about the setting of C:tD is really incompatible with the Chronicles of Darkness.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    So is Nimue an Inanimae/Elemental or something else? What are your ideas of Merlin's training to become the wiseman of legend?

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    In hindsight, I'm honestly a little surprised at how little of Arthurian legend made it in to the World of Darkness. Besides the stuff from Changeling with High King David and some stuff in Isle of the Mighty, a brief bit about the Sleeping King legend in Gurahl, and some of the possible options presented in Mage's revised Storytellers Handbook, I don't think there is anything.

I'm pondering some sort of lost Wraith Dark Kingdom from pre-Saxon Britain. That and the myth of Camelot being inspired by some ancient lost Fianna or White Howler caern.

Cai/Kay has always been one of my favorite characters, at least from the earlier stories (when he could go nine days without needing the sleep or breath, grow as tall as a tree when he wanted, and generate magic heat from his hands), as one of Arthur's most loyal and fiercest followers.
    Yeah Arcturus the Gurhal Hero is supposed to be the Actual King Arthur, then Mage and Changelings associations are connected to the Spirit of the Myth inspired by him but expanding the Spirit and Consciousness of Humanity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X