No announcement yet.

Ages of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never had the chance to play the Hunter video game, as when I rented it back in the day, it locked up in the opening scene and would never actually play.

Rust Never Sleeps is, in my mind, a setting focused on the working and middle class, especially in mid-sized towns and suburbs, and their various anxieties and worries caused by the economic and social upheavals in the 1970s. Even though his work is set in Maine, a fair amount of Stephen King's work from this period fits what I'm going for. Carrie, Salem's Lot, Cujo, Christine, Apt Pupil, and It, especially, as well as short stories from his Night Shift collection. Besides Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street, things like The Stepford Wives (more the book than the film, though), The Amityville Horror, Poltergeist, and Mad Max (in the sense of society seeming to break down on certain levels) all have an influence. Also the first two seasons of Stranger Things.

But beyond the supernatural aspects, I think there's a very strong character to the mundane people of the setting and the issues and anxieties they have to deal with. Films like Blue Collar, The Deer Hunter, and Gung Ho capture some of this, as does a lot of Bruce Springsteen's music from the period (the album Darkness on the Edge of Town, especially, as well as its follow up The River). Also the original First Blood film and certain parts of Miracle.

As far as the various game lines, I think anything involving Hunters Hunted and Vampire is going to have a certain "Polyester Gothic" vibe to it that you saw in things like Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Dark Shadows, and Blacula that eventually becomes the New Wave aesthetic of movies like Vamp and The Lost Boys (but doesn't exactly go away until the early to mid 90s; see things like Fright Night or Waxworks as examples). Mage and things related to it are going to have a certain "Analog Punk" feel, with a lot of old computer and music technology, heavy cars, weird counter cultures, and New Age mysticism.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I played Wayward long time ago. The rest I know I find in trailers, cutscenes, walkthroughs etc. I choose Chicago area because I find it very interesting in real life and canon WW materials as well.

Warrior of the Rainbow
      Saint among the sinners
      Pure among the dirt
      Loser among winners

Comment

The First Renaissance (The Kingdom of the Franks and the Holy Roman Empire, 760 - 840 AD)
        Western Europe, what we now think of as France, the Low Countries, and western Germany, during the reign of Charlemagne and his son Louis the Pious. This included the general peace and economic prosperity of a united land, a series of educational and religious reforms, attempting to preserve the Latin language and classical writings, growth of towns and interregional trade, and efforts to revive classical Roman art and architectural styles. Some of the early seeds of this were bolstered by Visigoth Christian refugees from the Muslim conquest of Iberia, who had already been making their own efforts to preserve Roman culture and science back in the 6th and 7th centuries. This period would become heavily mythologized, especially with The Matter of France and the later epics inspired by it.

Primary Games:
        • Dark Ages: Mage (One of the things happening at the same time is the founding of the Order of Hermes, and they quickly move from a Spring to Summer period. Almost all of the House founders are still around meaning that the PCs can interact with them - or even be their direct students - including the lost Diedne and Tremere. The Messianic Voices are also doing well in this setting, probably also in a Summer period of sorts, and certain aspects of Carolingian ecclesiastical reform also tie into the Cabal of Pure Thought. The Old Faith would exist on the fringes and in the shadows of this setting, probably starting their Autumn period. The Ahl I Batin also have a place here, as the Franks conducted a fair amount of trade with the Muslims in Iberia.)
        • Vampire (The efforts to reestablish Roman-esque ideas of civilization and culture, as well as the growth of towns and cities, is going to have a definite appeal to the Kindred. Solid government and trade draw the Ventrue, while art and scholarship attract Toreador, and the growth of the Church likely involves Losambra. This is probably when the Dark Ages idea of who is in the High and Low Clans takes shape, as well as laying some of the groundwork for the War of Princes.)
        Secondary Games:
        • Dark Ages: Inquisitor (One of the most romanticized aspects of Charlemagne's reign is that of his Paladins. Effectively the French version of the Knights of the Round Table, they were held up as chivalric ideals in later medieval times. While the Knights of the Cross of Acre don't exist in this time, the idea of the Frankish paladin makes a decent stand in as monster hunter. The Oculi Dei work well in this setting also, and the Red Order can certainly be adapted to the more scholarly types of the period.)
        • Werewolf (Much of the cultural aspects of this setting make an interesting playground for Warders and Children of Gaia, especially when contrasted against certain elements of the Fenrir who probably dominate a lot of the territory. There's also the idea of the Silver Fangs of Europe still sorting themselves out after the collapse of House Conquering Claw.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

something that might be interesting, having HP Lovecraft's stuff be inspired by an Earthbound slumbering beneath his home. The horrid dreams of something like that influencing him or even having him spread his horror to spread things about earthbound. I mean hell, the old gods are almost perfect earthbound

Comment

It is definitely an interesting idea, although I think people's opinions of this will probably vary depending on where they fall on what I like to call the Causality spectrum.

IE:

Does the Supernatural cause/inspire Human culture/history/development or does the Supernatural reflect Human culture/history/development

Probably a bit of both but Mage in particular illustrates this is a divisive question

Comment

Dreams in the Darkness (Rhode Island and surrounding areas, 1900 - 1938)
              A setting largely inspired by HP Lovecraft and certain aspects of his work, as well as other regional writers such as Edgar Allan Poe, Nathanial Hawthorne, and Shirley Jackson. Basically New England Gothic, with its themes of religious fanaticism, backwoods isolation, witchcraft, and historical legacies dating back to the earliest colonial days and sometimes further, as well as Lovecraft's specific themes of forbidden knowledge, inherited guilt, and non-human influences on humanity. There's also a lot of casual racism here. And this isn't some sort of backwoods hillbilly thing either. It's the widespread opinion of all the best elite minds and those educated and civilized upper class people that White Anglo Saxon Protestants are the pinnacle of human and societal evolution, and all the lesser peoples can, at best, hope to mimic their superior behavior. No one - at least no one who isn't some sort of deplorable race mixing anarchist - questions this, as "the science is settled." (And lest you think this sort of thinking is exclusive to white racists, go look at Marcus Garvey.) Incidentally, Richard Dansky was a big Lovecraft (and Poe) fan, and you can certainly see it in some of his work. This includes part he wrote for Wraith's book of Haunts, the Tillinghast Mansion in Providence RI, and the chapter he did for Changeling's Freeholds and Hidden Glens, the forgotten and abandoned town of Greymare Glen in Connecticut. I recommend both as inspiration for part of this. A number of Call of Cthulhu RPG supplements are set here, including several that detail various areas in the 1920s. And then there's Matt Ruff's recent Lovecraft Country novel. (The TV adaption hasn't aired yet.)

Primary Games:
              • The Arcanum vs Demon's Earthbound (The Arcanum are a group well suited to Lovecraft style investigations and horror, with well educated scholarly types unearthing inhuman secrets that make one question the place of humanity in the universe. This especially works well with Demon's Earthbound and the cults that spring up about them, and their inhuman perspectives are likely to come across as alien and "Old Ones" like to mere mortals. Likewise, the whole devil cult angle plays in with New England Gothic tropes of witchcraft and Puritan religious paranoia.)
              • Wraith (While The Great War and its maelstrom will be interrupting this setting about midway through, it still works well in the antebellum period, as well as the later part when the Great Maelstrom and civil war have died down. Many of these small towns and cities in New England are likely some of the oldest Necropoli and Stygian outposts in North America, largely unscathed until the Great War. Seemingly quiet and civilized communities of the dead can easily be disrupted by Spectres and their cults. This can spill over easily into the land of the living as well, as a Mediums centered game dealing with Lovecraftian Spectre cults works very well here too.)
              • Changeling (As with Wraith, there are very likely a number of old and well established Freeholds and various Fey communities, including a few Nunnehi ones. These can easily be disrupted by Fomorian activities, the Shadow Court and the like. But one of the more interesting ideas is that you've got this extremely creative but deeply neurotic individual whose mind may very well be unleashing countless Nervosa into the local Dreaming, threatening the local fey and perhaps even the dreams of normal folk.)
              Secondary Games:
              • The Technocracy (Presume that there actually are strange alien horrors roaming New England. Naturally, groups of agents must be sent out to investigate and if need be confront said deviants. Naturally, the Void Engineers shine at this, but NWO types also fit here. Likewise Progenitors investigating various mutations, looking to stamp out backwoods inbreeding - to say nothing of inhuman corruption - that might threaten racial purity.)
              • Werewolf (While Wyrm cults and corrupt monstrosities are this game's bread and butter, consider flipping the whole thing on its head, where those strange, insular, creepy - and maybe "inbred" - rural enclaves are actually Kinfolk living near Caerns. To say nothing of small coastal fishing towns where a lot of people seem to have a certain "shark-like" look to them.)
              Tertiary Games: Obviously, this setting works pretty well with Vampire and Mage as well. There's also a precedent for Project: Twilight with "Shadows Over Innsmouth" and Delta Green.

Comment

Another idea:

BRIGHT RAIN

The fall of URRSS, the catastrophe of Chernobyl, the Cold War at the Russian side. A setting focused in 1986 when the plant collapsed. The main settings would be Wraith and Werewolf. I could imagine some dormant zmei under the ruins or even a Red Talons pack rallying against the human survivors. The Silver Fang authority is in check, nobody knows what is happening in there and some cliaths are send to investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                  Another idea:

BRIGHT RAIN

The fall of URRSS, the catastrophe of Chernobyl, the Cold War at the Russian side. A setting focused in 1986 when the plant collapsed. The main settings would be Wraith and Werewolf. I could imagine some dormant zmei under the ruins or even a Red Talons pack rallying against the human survivors. The Silver Fang authority is in check, nobody knows what is happening in there and some cliaths are send to investigate.
                  Interesting idea. I'll have to do some reading on it. IIRC, this is before Baba Yaga's rise to power, and so may be somehow tied in with her awakening. It'd also require some thought about how Wraith's Russian and Ukrainian Hierarchy might've functioned during the Soviet Era.

Comment

I would not like that Chenobyl would be produced by the direct intervention of a monster, that would dissipate the human responsibility. But of course, Baya Yaga could be implied, that the reasons I appointed to the Zmei. About the Wraith and the hierarchies of the undead, I do not know in deep the game, but the incident could attract hundreds of specters, founding a hive in the ruined nuclear plant. The sudden death of thousands by radiation and cancers could devastate the structures of power of the restless undead in the area and could be potentially be fatal for Stygia. And, about werewolf, I found very evocative the current images of the town, frozen in time, but step by step the nature is regaining control of the area. The branches of some trees are covering the buildings, and the surviving flora is going wild. It is a tale of a deep wound slowly healing, of desperation and hope, very in the mood of Werewolf the Apocalypse. Another idea of adventure could begin with something impossible emerging from the radioactive sarcophagus in 2020, animals have come back to the zone incredible early, without human presence, the wound in gaia it is healing and something new, something mysterious, has born in there.

Comment

I was considering the possibility that the incident might've been what woke Baba Yaga from turpor. As for Wraith, it almost certainly set of a maelstrom across the region.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                        I was considering the possibility that the incident might've been what woke Baba Yaga from turpor. As for Wraith, it almost certainly set of a maelstrom across the region.
                        That was the consequences I had in mind about the Zmei and is very appropiate for the mood of the setting, but what I was trying to say is that the incident probably is better as an accident, not having produced due to an evil ritual to awake the hag. Anyway, is something open that the characters could investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post

That was the consequences I had in mind about the Zmei and is very appropiate for the mood of the setting, but what I was trying to say is that the incident probably is better as an accident, not having produced due to an evil ritual to awake the hag. Anyway, is something open that the characters could investigate.
                          That was what I meant. The catastrophe doesn't need anything more than human error to explain it, but the impact is such that it is going to awaken various things that have been asleep for a while.

Comment

Waiting For the Hammer to Fall (Soviet Union, 1981 - 1991)
                            For those not familiar with the history of the USSR, the period between 64 and 85 is frequently referred to as the Era of Stagnation, as the leadership was an aging and ossified oligarchy of old men highly resistant to any change. Brezhnev, who had been the regime's leader since 64, died in 1982, and his two successors both rapidly died soon after. In an attempt to keep this from turning into a running farce, they next selected the much younger Mikhail Gorbachev. He instituted a number of political and economic reforms (perestroika) and started allowing the general public more access to uncensored information (glasnost). However, the USSR was an economic basket case. The Saudi's had started drastically cutting the price of oil, ruining one of the USSR's main exports, and they were unable to keep up with America's military build up (especially the proposed SDI anti ICBM system). The catastrophic nuclear disaster at Chernobyl further exposed massive problems in the Soviet system that even Western apologists could no longer ignore or play down. Gorbachev pulled Soviet forces out of their ten year invasion of Afghanistan and refused to intervene when Eastern European satellite states started moving toward independence. Eventually, the various Soviet republics also demanded independence from Russia, and when a 1991 coup by the KGB and other hardliners failed, the USSR quickly collapsed. In a number of ways, this is one of those periods that is strongly responsible for the form the WoD took when it initially debuted.

Primary Games:
                            • Vampire (So, in a bit of period weirdness, the very early game had the whole Soviet revolution and regime be the part of some sort of cabal of Brujah. I presume they had a number of elders among them in addition to the various Marxist and Leninist radicals embraced in the 19th and 20th centuries. This is probably an unsettling time, as that cabals' grip on power is clearly slipping. And who is working against them? Well, there's probably some older Tzimisce about who don't really care for them, as well as a number of other vampires including Ventrue, Nosferatu, and others. It's also possible that a lot of the Brujah elders who lead the initial take over might've been destroyed during WW2, and without them the surviving cabal can't really defend their domain. If one wants to be conspiratorial, the rapid deaths of Brezhnev's successors could be vampire assassination. And finally, the Chernobyl disaster, having such a massive impact, may have been the event that stirred Baba Yaga out of her slumber. Overall, this sort of setting for Vampire is one of high stakes political intrigue, upheaval of the status quo, and the chance for up and coming young turks to make a name for themselves on one side or the other. Provided they don't get destroyed in the process.)
                            • Wraith (The Russian shadowlands have probably always been a fairly grim place. There's an influx of newly created wraiths from the Afghan war, and they'll be needed to fight the maelstrom that undoubtably engulfs most of Eastern Europe in the wake of Chernobyl. This may be further complicated by the appearance - or resurgence - of some Heretic cult devoted to Baba Yaga.)
                            • Werewolf (The prelude to Rage Across Russia. The Soviet Union was a total disaster in terms of environmental impact. And that's even before Chernobyl happened. This is a fairly grim place for the Garou, with pollution and banes everywhere, and the events in the Ukraine feeling like the start of the Apocalypse. Although it does offer an interesting idea of what might happen if the PCs come across Baba Yaga before she's fully restored and are able to defeat her before she comes to power.)

Comment

Working...
                            X