Alternate realities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate realities

I once read "Umbra: The Velvet Shadow" part about alternate realities. I believe it was called Mirror Zone. If I remember correctly to get there you have to botch Gnosis roll up on exiting the Umbra. As my "speciality" is W:tA I wonder if there is a way for p. ex. Cainites, Changelings, Mages to enter Mirror Zone. It's not my lack of imagination (as a ST I have absolute power 😜), I just want to know if Mirror Zone was mentioned somewhere else.

Warrior of the Rainbow
    Saint among the sinners
    Pure among the dirt
    Loser among winners

Nunnehi changelings can enter umbra, so, maybe?

Comment

Mage has (or at least had, way back when) the Mythic Worlds. These are realms in the Umbra which started as micro dream bubbles in Maya/The Dream Realm. If these get revisited enough or become part of a shared subconscious dream, they can stabilize and grow into a Mythic World. Some of these worlds are born out of myth or legend, others from period cultural zeitgeists or ideals, and a few form from relatively modern fiction. So, yes, it is entirely possible for some of these to be based on various historical what ifs or more outlandish ideas. Mages and Changelings can find these realms as a matter of course, though actually finding the specific one you want can sometimes be a pain. Certain Psychics may also be able to. It's theoretically possible that vampires using the Astral Projection power of Auspex might stumble across one.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

The Book of Worlds for Mage clearly explains the Mirror Zone for Mages. Usually, one enters it by mistake and is forced to stay there until they realize just how the reality they're in isn't the right one. Normally, one can't enter the Mirror Zone on purpose. As for other splats, if they can enter the Umbra, they theoretically can enter it. True alternate realities are also possible, but one has to truly search for them. Some of the Near Realms of the Middle Umbra, some Epiphanies in the High Umbra, as well as some parts of the Dreaming, could all be called "alternate realities" depending on one's definition.

THWarted

Comment

Ok, I was looking infos about Mirror Zone. I know that in Umbra alternate realities exist but I'm working on a campain based on MZ. A few questions thought:
          1. What about Wraiths and other entities who live in Umbra? Does the same rules apply to them?
          2. What happens if a character resolve the problem of returning? Does this "alternate reality" dissapears and character is thrown to his own "timeline" or should he has to do something?
          3. Is it possible to take something/someone out of the Mirror Zone to the "normal reality"?

Warrior of the Rainbow
          Saint among the sinners
          Pure among the dirt
          Loser among winners

Comment

Mirror Zones are such Paradigm shattering Apocryphal things, so If I wanted to use them in a gameline, I wouldn't have trouble having things besides Mages and Werewolves stumble onto them. Anything from Vampire Bloodsorcerers botching a high level Ritual, like that Time Travel Sadhana ritual, or having their Astral Form get lost and cross over maybe even switching bodies with their other world counterpart who happened to cross at the same time. Or even Changelings going to the Deep Umbra looking for an oasis from Winter and crossing over into another Reality during Primeval times becoming the new Tuatha.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
              Mirror Zones are such Paradigm shattering Apocryphal things, so If I wanted to use them in a gameline, I wouldn't have trouble having things besides Mages and Werewolves stumble onto them. Anything from Vampire Bloodsorcerers botching a high level Ritual, like that Time Travel Sadhana ritual, or having their Astral Form get lost and cross over maybe even switching bodies with their other world counterpart who happened to cross at the same time. Or even Changelings going to the Deep Umbra looking for an oasis from Winter and crossing over into another Reality during Primeval times becoming the new Tuatha.
              You've opened my eyes to the new possibilities. My players won't be happy 😜.

Warrior of the Rainbow
              Saint among the sinners
              Pure among the dirt
              Loser among winners

Comment

demons from DtF would just need to know it exists then create a path with lore of paths to it

Comment

A huge chunk of Mage and Demon seem to embrace the idea of 'alternate realities' and it seems to even be part of their nod to people who may try to connect everything into a coherent whole despite the 'canon-agnostic' approach that has underscored the WoD for awhile. Demon even took it to the point that alot of 'realities' could occur simultaneously and different ways depending on the 'levels' you were operating on. Also, things were one big wadded up bundle of overlaid possibility but as the universe moved on from its origin things have gotten more discrete and 'spread out' if not segregated.

Comment

Working...
                  X