This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty? Is that even possible?

My friend run a Fading Suns campaign for a few years, during which we played children and grandchildren of our original characters (in game terms it lasted about 60 years). And I was wondering if it's possible in WoD. I know that Garou has 10% chance for having a Garou children. I read that many Changelings are spouses of Changeling. Gypsie's kids are often Gypsies. I believe that we could rule out dead characters (Wraiths, Cainites, Demons and Mummies). What about Hunters and Mages? Are there any rules for that? And if not how would you calculate the odds for that (except using ST's privileges)?

Warrior of the Rainbow
    Saint among the sinners
    Pure among the dirt
    Loser among winners

Don't rule out the Cainites. You could play A who sires B who sires C and so on. That way you can have descendents, even if not strictly biological descendents, and so run a dynastic campaign.

A problem could be that vampires lives potentially forever. But that can reasonably be avoided by torpor, Final Death if necessary, withdrawing from politics for a more esoteric, or a higher level of politics that makes them not take part in the kind of street-level activites that it seems like many vampires games are about, or other reasons as to why the Sire is not throwing his, or her, weight around like he, or she, used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
      Don't rule out the Cainites. You could play A who sires B who sires C and so on. That way you can have descendents, even if not strictly biological descendents, and so run a dynastic campaign.
      That's why I ruled out Cainites. They can Embrace anyone and their "children" will always be a Cainite (except maybe Thin Bloods and characters that cannot be Embraced like Hunters, Mummies, Demons, Risen and most shapeshifters). I was thinking about more "human" method of siring.

Warrior of the Rainbow
      Saint among the sinners
      Pure among the dirt
      Loser among winners

Comment

Nail Eater the thing about the Romani (“Gypsies”) is SERIOUSLY racist, but that would absolutely be possible for other splats. Garou and Changeling Powers are definitely inherited. Mage powers don’t technically run in families, but there’s no reason one of your kids couldn’t Awaken too. As for hunters, I guess the Messengers could Imbue the child of a hunter as well.

Idk about odds. Math is not my thing. Just handwave it, I guess. Your players won’t know or care.

“The Bonnie Prince is a clever, slippery snake with enough charm to convince good men (and women) that he’s God’s Chosen One. If we don’t stop him from raising this rebellion, we’re all going to be staring down into the abyss at Culloden Moor.”

Comment

You could do generational chronicles for all sorts of WoD beings. Very often powers can be hereditary, so it makes sense. I wouldn’t worry about the chances of passing along powers or anything like that. You have an idea, don’t let some background fluff technicality keep you from running the game you want. So what if only 10% of a Garou’s children become Garou themselves, your first characters’ children are in that minority.

It might actually be interesting to play this in a mixed group with some long lived characters and short lived one. Someone playing a vampire could keep the same character, someone playing a werewolf could change to descendants. “I used to fight side by side with your grandfather just like this.”

Comment

While Imbuing and Awakening can happen within a family line, there's no metaphysical aspect to this like there is with werewolves and changelings. When it happens it's a fluke/unique situation (though some mages might try to make it the case).

Comment

I like the idea of a descendants game. One work around could be to allow near relatives like nephews and cousins and the like.

Or don’t worry about having dead characters, because you could always say play characters who became supernatural after starting a family.

But the Kinfolk/Kinain connection really build off each other. So you could have every character kinfolk and Kinain no matter if they are Mages or Changelings (well if they are Changelings they aren’t Kinain and werewolves aren’t kinfolk but you know what I mean). And if you just had a one off of a Cainite it could work.

Imagine though the complications if you are a Fallen or Arcadian sidhe, if the family finds out you usurped a soul expect bad blood!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                Nail Eater the thing about the Romani (“Gypsies”) is SERIOUSLY racist, but that would absolutely be possible for other splats. Garou and Changeling Powers are definitely inherited. Mage powers don’t technically run in families, but there’s no reason one of your kids couldn’t Awaken too. As for hunters, I guess the Messengers could Imbue the child of a hunter as well.

Idk about odds. Math is not my thing. Just handwave it, I guess. Your players won’t know or care.
                https://youtu.be/0lczHvB3Y9s

But about the topic, why not instead of Garou just have a Kinfolk Campaign? It is likely that Kinfolk + Kinfolk = Kinfolk with a slight chance of Garou so you can work to build an dynastic empire for Gaia.

As I am from Austria I need to clarify two things.
                First my native language is german and so please point out if the english I write is broken so I can improve.
                Second I do not own VTMV nor any line after M20 because it is not out there and I wait for the translation.

Comment

Eldagusto I Liked the last paragraph

“The Bonnie Prince is a clever, slippery snake with enough charm to convince good men (and women) that he’s God’s Chosen One. If we don’t stop him from raising this rebellion, we’re all going to be staring down into the abyss at Culloden Moor.”

Comment

Vampires die. Most Vampires die. IF you take a pair of identical twins who have roughly idendical lives and one is embraced while the other has a natural normal life.. the vampire is more likely to die first.

That some vampire have survived thousands of years is not the norm, its a show of their wisdom, cunning and ultimately luck.

There's also the Modern Salubri method too... for those who want to keep everything in the family!

Comment

Nail Eater I love that movie, but I don’t get the connection between that and what I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

Seriously? Racist? When? When I use the word Gypsie or when I wrote about their kids? If the former I used it to clarify about who I'm talking about (sourcebook was called World of Darkness: Gypsies not World of Darkness: Romani). If the latter I was thinking about inheriting powers, not race (and as far as I know they are rather closely knit). I sometimes use racism during my games (I don't like newer, politically correct WoD; racism is part of our world), I know words like n***a, c***k,t*******d etc. Is that make me a racist? Anyway, if you or anyone else was offended then I'm sorry. And what movie you were talking about (in your second post)?
                        Last edited by Nail Eater; 06-04-2020, 06:37 AM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                        Saint among the sinners
                        Pure among the dirt
                        Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant Brother View Post
                          You could do generational chronicles for all sorts of WoD beings. Very often powers can be hereditary, so it makes sense. I wouldn’t worry about the chances of passing along powers or anything like that. You have an idea, don’t let some background fluff technicality keep you from running the game you want. So what if only 10% of a Garou’s children become Garou themselves, your first characters’ children are in that minority.

It might actually be interesting to play this in a mixed group with some long lived characters and short lived one. Someone playing a vampire could keep the same character, someone playing a werewolf could change to descendants. “I used to fight side by side with your grandfather just like this.”
                          But that technicalities could actually build the game. Imagine jealousy ("why he is a Garou and not me"), drama ("if he had our powers he could live") or romance ("I love you, but I am a garou just like you so I have to mate with your brother"). Besides I know that I can use my own rules for that. I was just wandering if there are any rules of inheriting powers for Mages, Changelings etc.

And I was thinking about a mixed group saga. As I said I was just wondering.
                          Last edited by Nail Eater; 06-05-2020, 05:43 PM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                          Saint among the sinners
                          Pure among the dirt
                          Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            Or don’t worry about having dead characters, because you could always say play characters who became supernatural after starting a family.
                            Yeah, I know. Just like in "Queen of the Damned" movie.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                            Saint among the sinners
                            Pure among the dirt
                            Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post
                              Besides I know that I can use my own rules for that. I was just wandering if there are any rules of inheriting powers for Mages
                              While the answer for mages it's no (albeit the Verbena tend to believe otherwise - which in itself could be an interesting factor on a chronicle of the ages), there are artifacts called Primers (usually books, but can be on other formats - like oral tradition) that substantially increase the chances of Awakening. However, there's no system - it requires the user to be "unsually smart and imaginative", willing to deeply study the work (likely dedicating years) and take the content seriously. Mages who make an effort of training sleepers to awaken may use these as a "last test" of sorts.

While mage training it's wibbly-wobbly, Sorcerers can be trained. You could easily have a family that has a sorcerous tradition (which also may keep a Premier as a treasure to increase the chances of mages).

Neither are genetic, but traditions certainly can run in the family - and an old family with an occult tradition can be an interesting background regardless of splat.
                              Last edited by Aleph; 06-04-2020, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X