Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Mummy: The Resurrection so unliked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Mummy: The Resurrection so unliked?

I have often heard about many times people saying, that they did not really liked Mummy. As I have started with W20 I have not experienced it myself and so I am curious, why it got such a bad reputation.

As I am from Austria I need to clarify two things.
    First my native language is german and so please point out if the english I write is broken so I can improve.
    Second I do not own VTMV nor any line after M20 because it is not out there and I wait for the translation.

To the best of my knowledge this has never really been the case. Mummy 1e and 2e were niche supplements. The former being a VtM supplement and 2e being a general World of Darkness book. Resurrection was the first real sub line experience for Mummy and it never really had the time to expand. But I've never seen any particular dislike expressed for that corebook or for the Player's Guide. If anything most of what I remember seeing posted about the PG was wishing it expanded the other mummy types more.

See you all on the other side.

Comment

Maybe cause it’s not dark enough? I never read it, but I’ve heard people say that.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

I like Mummy a lot, but I think a big issue is just that it had very bad timing. It was the last line to be introduced, had one supplement and played quite differently than the first and second edition. And I think it got overshadowed a bit by Demon, which is more controversial and seems to inspire more passion, whether it's a "love it" or "hate it" kind of thing.

Comment

It's not hated at all. Resurrection is just underrated. Also if I remember correctly Mummies could only regain Sekhthem when they traveled back to the Middle-East/North Africa. That means most attempted games would have to be in that region to be viable.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Yeah, I don't think anyone necessarily 'dislikes' MtR or Mummy, it's just that it was so strange and released so weirdly that it's kind of in the same boat of being overlooked as Orpheus or the World of Darkness book line.

Comment

I quite liked MtR, its a lot more hopeful than the usual WoD fare, and i liked the contrast from what we normally play. It's like a last burst of hope before the apocalypse.

Comment

I don't particularly care for the way Mummy: The Resurrection wipes out the 1st and 2nd Edition mummies (the Shemsu-Heru) and replaces them with something new (the Amenti). Yeah, yeah, many of the Shemsu-Heru became Amenti, but the overall effect is still the same as if all the Masquerade clans were wiped out in the metaplot and replaced with the Requiem clans. Hey, the Gangrel are still Gangrel, what are you complaining about? Somehow I don't think most people would be head over heels about the development. It also makes the backstory of your new mummies a convoluted mess. You basically need to explain the whole Sixth Great Maelstrom to figure out what's going on. Probably nice for fans of the Revised era metaplot, not so much for the rest of us.

Comment

Is M:tR still part of WoD canon or has it been disavowed? I was never really clear on that.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

I don't see anywhere where it would be disavowed. it will just not be continued/'resurrected' (heh) for the forseeable future.
                    Just like Demon and Hunter, really.
                    Last edited by Ambrosia; 06-12-2020, 07:19 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
                    cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
                    EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Ambrosia Awesome 😊. Thanks for clarifying that.

Comment

I've never heard of anyone actively complaining about it. However, I know that the gaming groups I belonged to were not interested in M:tR at all. We liked the previous supplements of Mummy. It filled that niche perfectly if we wanted a Universal Horror type of mummy - which was the only example of monster mummies we had since the 1933 movie invented the monster from inspiration of the 1922 discovery of the tomb of King Tutankhamun and the subsequent deaths of some of the excavators due to the "curse" (although there were earlier incarnations of what I'll call Ancient Egyptian Occult horror that involves many of the same tropes). Mummies were a limited aspect of the World of Darkness that didn't need a fully completed game line. For those that wanted one or more PC mummies, or to involve mummy NPCs into their chronicle, it was fine. Whether I wanted to run a scenario base on the original Karloff film, the later Kharis films, Anne Rice's novel, or anything inspired from it, it contains everything you need. It's one of those rare perfect supplements.

M:tR in contrast doesn't meet the expectations of the genre. It's not something I would ever use to emulate mummies. It seems to me a very forced way to expand the idea into a fully supported setting with additional sourcebooks. There was no creative need to do that. It was an inferior duplication of something that already worked, and was an obvious cash grab. It was also something heavily dependent on the metaplot to make sense, and since everyone I know rejected Revised's metaplot, that made it even more superfluous. So my friends and I never bothered to pick it up. Of the few people I know who did pick it up, I never saw them use it, and they did not seem particularly interested in doing so.

I personally feel that all the game lines released after the original five were desperate cash grabs. I know those games do have fans, but I've never been one of them.
                        Last edited by Black Fox; 06-11-2020, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Black Fox do you think that’s why the new White Wolf Publishing decided not to revive those game lines?

Also, haven’t they been incorporating a lot of the old Revised metaplot into the new WoD setting? (I wasn’t around back then so all my info is second hand.)

Comment

I don't have any insight as to why the new owners are deciding to invest in certain properties, but not others. I guess it has to do with a financial decision based on what games will represent the greatest return on investment. I suspect some of the newer game lines simply weren't popular enough to justify continuation. But then again, some of the original five weren't that popular anyway. I happen to think Wraith and its setting is absolutely essential if you want a comprehensive World of Darkness as ghost stories are vital to any gothic setting. But I'm not going to lie and say it was ever a popular game. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of the "new" game lines outsold it even if I think Wraith is essential, and Hunter is not.

As to why the new setting does not incorporate some of the old Revised metaplot, I think it simply has to do with that the Revised metaplot was always meant to be a countdown to the end of the world and thus termination of those game lines. Since they now want to keep publishing those games, they have to decide what to include or not include in order for the game to continue. It's like when DC destroyed their old Earth-1 (Silver Age) and Earth-2 (Golden Age) continuities during Crisis on Infinite Earths and reboot everything. Except they didn't start from Year One and proceed with brand new stories as if nothing had not happened. They wanted to retain a sense that everyone's favorite stories still "happened" in the new continuity. So they then faced the problem of what stories were still in continuity and which ones weren't. The metaplot is the same way. V5 or whatever is essentially a reboot. They still want some of it to have happened, but can't have all of it.

Comment

the only thing that sucked about mummy is from what I remember you had to keep the game in egypt around the nile river or you would start to loose your powers. I think thats the way it was anyway, I could be wrong as I haven't really read one of the mummy books in about 5 ish years

Comment

Working...
                              X