Interesting Weaker WoD Creatures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
    Yeah, C20 mentions that there's no real 'changeling gene' or anything of the sort but that kinain manifest almost without any rhyme or reason and the only unifying feature is some ancestral connection to the fair folk... which could include much of humanity.

They are somewhat more likely to be born from immediate changeling families, but there's very little science to it.
    As it should be with regard to changelings. The mere discussion of faerie genes probably generates banality. Although heredity magic is a very old trope than can be treated in a mysterious mystical way and not as a science.

“The Force is strong in my family” instead of midichlorians.

Comment

Check out the bygone bestiary, it has rules to stat out these kinda things.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
      But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
        Check out the bygone bestiary, it has rules to stat out these kinda things.
        I’ve seen that, it’s cool and quite open ended. I need to have some kind of political dynamic with my groups, which Revenants and Kinfolk have, but may be harder for other factions, like the bygone beasts. Still a good place to go for inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant Brother View Post

I’ve seen that, it’s cool and quite open ended. I need to have some kind of political dynamic with my groups, which Revenants and Kinfolk have, but may be harder for other factions, like the bygone beasts. Still a good place to go for inspiration.
          Slap em all together into a beast faction called the Menagerie.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
          But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post

Slap em all together into a beast faction called the Menagerie.
            That’s a cool idea, I’ll have to look through the book and try to flesh it out some 😁

Comment

The advantage of the Bygone Bestiary approach is that, unlike with either major or minor splats, Bygones have no set "baseline" for power level. All vampires have a certain degree of difference from mortals, simply by being vampires, for instance. A Bygone can be as strange or as mundane as you like. Indeed, while Bygones can have "types", they could have individuals that are wholly or in part unique.

Bygone character creation also allows you to replicate the "feel" of a particular splat without bringing in all their baggage. As stated above, there's a baseline amount of powers, weaknesses, and mechanics associated with the splats, many of which are non-optional if you play those splats. All Garou have multiple forms, innate connection with the spirit world, the ability to pass into the Umbra, a ridiculous healing factor, Rage and Gnosis ratings, weakness to silver, a mandate from Gaia, and a categorical involvement with a cosmic war (on one side or the other).

On the other hand, you could have a "Bygone Werewolf" that's just a human (or wolf) with the Shapeshifter advantage, the ability to speak, maybe a compulsion to hunt during the full moon. Being a werwolf doesn't need to be this huge song and dance, if all you want is a human that turns into a wolf (or vice versa).

Comment

Well im running a game where the PCs are ghouls, revenants, kinains, kinfolk and sorcerers.

Others interesting lesser splats: Possessed(kami, formori, gorgon, drone), of these is specially recommend ferectoi, a special kind of formori. But anyway, almost all beings from possessed are very interesting

and there is Amkhat (cannibals who get the attributes of the bodies they eat). They're from mummy.

Comment

The Bygone Bestiary is so open ended. I’d want to narrow it down a little bit. Maybe focus on a handful of creature types and flesh them out a bit more, with some backstory and politics behind them. It’s a nice rule set for generating creatures, including tweaked versions of other creatures - like werewolves as Blueacho mentions.

Originally posted by Rucun View Post
                  Well im running a game where the PCs are ghouls, revenants, kinains, kinfolk and sorcerers.

Others interesting lesser splats: Possessed(kami, formori, gorgon, drone), of these is specially recommend ferectoi, a special kind of formori. But anyway, almost all beings from possessed are very interesting

and there is Amkhat (cannibals who get the attributes of the bodies they eat). They're from mummy.
                  Cool, what sort of creatures are in your game and how is it going? Sounds like there might be good information in that for me.

Recently I’ve been reading through the Possessed book for W:tA and I’m really seeing a lot of potential there. They might better a better successor species to werewolves than kinfolk. The fact that there are 4 different types already gives interesting factions with a built in dynamic. Though it looks like the Kami are significantly weaker, maybe that is by intent.

Comment

The Bygone Bestiary is so open ended. I’d want to narrow it down a little bit. Maybe focus on a handful of creature types and flesh them out a bit more, with some backstory and politics behind them. It’s a nice rule set for generating creatures, including tweaked versions of other creatures - like werewolves as Blueacho mentions.

Cool, what sort of creatures are in your game and how is it going? Sounds like there might be good information in that for me.

Recently I’ve been reading through the Possessed book for W:tA and I’m really seeing a lot of potential there. They might better a better successor species to werewolves than kinfolk. The fact that there are 4 different types already gives interesting factions with a built in dynamic. Though it looks like the Kami are significantly weaker, maybe that is by intent.

Kami are much stronger, thought. They have no autonomy, because they are essentialy, err.... possessing themselves. Having your own free will is much more important than anything else in a WoD game.
                    (edit: Also, Kami have much more freedom on the way they act, they might even act against Gaia - in a way that in the end will probably help gaia, somehow - so it's a very good option for PC)

As for my game, the PCs are:
                    A native american sorcerer (herbalism and enchatment are his paths)
                    A Mercenary kinfolk of the get of fenris, who is a member of the black eagle. (has the clayvorance numina)
                    A life weary kinfolk, whose husband and children were killed by BSD. She don't agree with the garou society on a lot of things, but still allies with the black furies. She has gifts.
                    A scholar revenant from the ducheski family, she is a beckett wannabe and a fan of him. Has disciplines of course.
                    A young sorcerer that wants to be constantine, reckless, and talented. (Ephemera is his path)
                    A Independente ghoul who is a con man, and also deranged.
                    A mambo (vodoo sorcerer) kinain whose parents are sluagh. She has arts and can see the dead (also, loas are keremets in this game)

So far the sessions were:

Session 1: They rescued a female kinfolk that was being sought by a pack of get of fenris pack to be a forced breeder.
                    Session 2: Worked for a buch of independent ghouls (sanguinaries) to get blood from a caitiff.
                    Session 3: While laying low on the rural area of USA, they were embushed by a skinwalker, a changeling that can transform into a lot of animals, in this case a giant kodiak bear. The skinchanger wanted to het his hand into the native sorcerer familiar, the azeban, a mythical creature, and also a raccoon.
                    Session 4: They had to deal with a mage "serial killer" (she didn't actually kill, but skinned the victims face). In the end they discovered it was vegeance and both sides were kind assholish, but the mage was the most innocent side.
                    Session 5: They went on to try to get their hand on faerie blood for a kyasid (the sanguinres arranged it), but they first had to deal with madame charlotte, a problemtic loa, and then stumbled into Ossian (from the red list, yeah) and had to work with him when the building was surrounded by a camarilla task force, Ossian of course made most of the work, but the PCs helped creating a distraction. The damm kyasid managed to get the blood and paid 1 million for each vial.

Edit 2:

Also, to balance things, I made a power scale

Tier 1: Sorcerer & possessed
                    Tier 2: Revenant & Kinain
                    Tier 3: Ghoul, Kinfolk

Tier 1 gets nothing bonus, tier 2 gets some bonus during PC creation, tier 3 get even more bonuses during PC creation.
                    Last edited by Rucun; 06-22-2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

It sounds like they could pop up from time to time as people with faerie ancestry have kids, kind of like any case of a recessive gene being expressed because both parents carried it - not that it should be so scientific.
                      I'm having flashbacks to Sookie Stackhouse now...

Comment

Originally posted by Rucun View Post

Kami are much stronger, thought. They have no autonomy, because they are essentialy, err.... possessing themselves. Having your own free will is much more important than anything else in a WoD game.
                        (edit: Also, Kami have much more freedom on the way they act, they might even act against Gaia - in a way that in the end will probably help gaia, somehow - so it's a very good option for PC)

As for my game, the PCs are:
                        A native american sorcerer (herbalism and enchatment are his paths)
                        A Mercenary kinfolk of the get of fenris, who is a member of the black eagle. (has the clayvorance numina)
                        A life weary kinfolk, whose husband and children were killed by BSD. She don't agree with the garou society on a lot of things, but still allies with the black furies. She has gifts.
                        A scholar revenant from the ducheski family, she is a beckett wannabe and a fan of him. Has disciplines of course.
                        A young sorcerer that wants to be constantine, reckless, and talented. (Ephemera is his path)
                        A Independente ghoul who is a con man, and also deranged.
                        A mambo (vodoo sorcerer) kinain whose parents are sluagh. She has arts and can see the dead (also, loas are keremets in this game)

So far the sessions were:

Session 1: They rescued a female kinfolk that was being sought by a pack of get of fenris pack to be a forced breeder.
                        Session 2: Worked for a buch of independent ghouls (sanguinaries) to get blood from a caitiff.
                        Session 3: While laying low on the rural area of USA, they were embushed by a skinwalker, a changeling that can transform into a lot of animals, in this case a giant kodiak bear. The skinchanger wanted to het his hand into the native sorcerer familiar, the azeban, a mythical creature, and also a raccoon.
                        Session 4: They had to deal with a mage "serial killer" (she didn't actually kill, but skinned the victims face). In the end they discovered it was vegeance and both sides were kind assholish, but the mage was the most innocent side.
                        Session 5: They went on to try to get their hand on faerie blood for a kyasid (the sanguinres arranged it), but they first had to deal with madame charlotte, a problemtic loa, and then stumbled into Ossian (from the red list, yeah) and had to work with him when the building was surrounded by a camarilla task force, Ossian of course made most of the work, but the PCs helped creating a distraction. The damm kyasid managed to get the blood and paid 1 million for each vial.

Edit 2:

Also, to balance things, I made a power scale

Tier 1: Sorcerer & possessed
                        Tier 2: Revenant & Kinain
                        Tier 3: Ghoul, Kinfolk

Tier 1 gets nothing bonus, tier 2 gets some bonus during PC creation, tier 3 get even more bonuses during PC creation.
                        Wow, that is an awesome sounding chronicle. Dealing with werewolves would be really scary for any group, especially for this one.

The Kamis have the advantage of full self control, but one of the other possessed types could select Taints that Kami aren't allowed to have and drop their Autonomy down a few points and essentially have 20 more points of powers than the Kami, who would have trouble getting to 10, plus a fairly inconvenient Geasa.

At the moment, for my setting, I am focusing on the Revenants but decided that Possessed will be a major faction as well along with sorcerers and/or psychics.

I need to research a bit more on the kinain, amkhat, and bygones.

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post

I'm having flashbacks to Sookie Stackhouse now...
                        Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well, though Sookie isn't exactly how I would picture faerie blooded people.

Comment

Working...
                        X