Question on ST Vault publishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on ST Vault publishing

Just short question. I've got an idea for a project for DA: Vampire v.20 that I would like to pursue with the goal of getting out on the Vault. It could absolutely come to nothing, but I need something to give myself something to do with my spare time.

So, I'm wondering if people would think that many smaller and focused individual parts or a massive tome would be the most helpful for potential users?

Here are three things to consider in your publication process:
    1. How will you be writing and developing the project? Is the project one which needs to be developed in small chunks or as a larger whole?
    2. How easy will it be for the readers of your work to read it in small sections or one large document? Can you bookmark and index a large work well enough to make it easy to use, or are your skills in desktop publishing such that you want shorter works where advanced PDF features are not necessary (for a 100-page document a lot more needs to be done to help the reader than for a 5-page document).
    3. Does splitting the project up into smaller sections yield more revenue than selling the project as one large product? This requires you consider not just the price point, but also the fact that if you have smaller sections they might sell units to people who don't want the whole product. A large product is basically selling a combination platter--while smaller sets are like ala cart at a restaurant. Also consider if the sections are a good value for their size.

Comment

Originally posted by baakyocalder View Post
      Here are three things to consider in your publication process:
      1. How will you be writing and developing the project? Is the project one which needs to be developed in small chunks or as a larger whole?
      2. How easy will it be for the readers of your work to read it in small sections or one large document? Can you bookmark and index a large work well enough to make it easy to use, or are your skills in desktop publishing such that you want shorter works where advanced PDF features are not necessary (for a 100-page document a lot more needs to be done to help the reader than for a 5-page document).
      3. Does splitting the project up into smaller sections yield more revenue than selling the project as one large product? This requires you consider not just the price point, but also the fact that if you have smaller sections they might sell units to people who don't want the whole product. A large product is basically selling a combination platter--while smaller sets are like ala cart at a restaurant. Also consider if the sections are a good value for their size.
      1. I think that smaller parts would be more easy as I intend to do research at the same time as I write, not being a perfect scholar just yet, and so being able to write things in parts would likely be better for my creative process.

2. I think it will be easier to write it in smaller installments as at present I don't feel that I have any relevatn desktop publishing skills. But I will add that I am very interested in getting such skills.

3. The way I imagine my proposed model is to first write a general overview of the subject and then write more specialized parts that ties in with the original document. And in honestly I'm not sure that I am interested in a revenue from this but will simply release the material for free.

Comment

Working...
      X