Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to introduce the whole WoD(CWoD, CoD, etc.) to the freshmen who want to play it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to introduce the whole WoD(CWoD, CoD, etc.) to the freshmen who want to play it?

If he never knows WoD before and wants to play it from the scratch, how will you introduce it?

How to recognize Old and New WoD?
    How to recognize different lines like VtM, WtA?
    Which book should he read first?

Maybe very basical, but also a bit difficult. Did WW or somebody write articles like this? Please tell me thanks!
    Last edited by Rock113; 07-14-2020, 04:16 AM.

Who are you introducing the properties to and in what context? That matters a lot.

If somebody asked you "hey, I played Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I hear there's some kind of tabletop associated with that?" then you can tell them about whatever the most accessible edition of VTM you're familiar with.
    If you're trying to pitch a WoD or CofD game to your group, skip the broad introduction and go straight to what you think they'd jump for. "Hey, I've got a cool trippy game about playing the Agents from the Matrix as body-snatching fallen angels," or "You wanna do a gonzo splatterpunk game about werewolves with magic swords and enchanted pickup trucks fighting a cross between Captain Planet villains and the Toxic Avenger?"

Start with a familiar touchpoint, and if they get interested in alternatives, you can drop that oh, this is the vampire game, but there's also a ghost game about psychodrama in an otherworldly psychic maelstrom, or that there's kind of two sets of games, one launched in the 90s that goes for style and the raging struggle against the powers that be, and a different set launched in the 2000s that's murky and atmospheric like Twin Peaks meets urban legends.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock113 View Post
      I
      If you can get it, the Mage Corebook from First Edition is a really good introduction to the MtA / WoD setting. The starting story is great, and the illustrations are superb. I also like very much the description of the Technocracy, despite how one-sided and antagonistic it is.

Comment

I think I'd just start with the game that appeals to your friends the most, whether it's WOD or COD. Eventually, they'll branch out to the other games on their own time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock113 View Post
          If he never knows WoD before and wants to play it from the scratch, how will you introduce it?

How to recognize Old and New WoD?
          How to recognize different lines like VtM, WtA?

Maybe very basical, but also a bit difficult. Did WW or somebody write articles like this? Please tell me thanks!
          Honestly I would say probably start with the WoD, though do tell him about the CofD and that it was initially nWoD to avoid potential confusion. I say start with WoD because it is the famous of the two and has more material outside the TTRPGs that make up the universe. Plus, you're far more likely to find lore videos and podcasts on WoD than CofD. Doubly so with the upcoming Bloodlines 2.

From there, give him the basics of the set up of each line, VtM is about vampires and their various struggles, WtA is about werewolves attempting to protect nature and the world from corruption, etc. to see what catches his interest. Otherwise it will be just a bit too daunting for most newcomers. Once he's decided on the lines that interest him, explain more to him, point him to the White Wolf Wiki, to Youtube for lore videos or podcast sites for podcasts on that should those lines have them.

As for books, point him to the 20th Anniversary Editions for the original five of VtM, WtA, MtAs, CtD and WtO or if it's one of the lesser lines, their only Rulebook.

Oh and of course, tell him that he's free to come here and ask questions. We don't gatekeep here. If newcomers want to come around and ask questions, we'll welcome them and answer as best we can.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

well what kind of chronicle do you want to run? Your pitch should depend on the game you want to play, not the world as a whole.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
            There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
              well what kind of chronicle do you want to run? Your pitch should depend on the game you want to play, not the world as a whole.
              True, that's something that should be settled as well. Of course, that may not be that limiting in terms of gamelines as at least in the broad strokes, most kinds of games can be played in WoD regardless of the line.

Though I am reminded of something Rock113. The quickstarts for the main three CofD lines, especially the VtR one, are really great getting people into their respective lines, likely because they came out when the CofD was first starting so we didn't fully know what to expect. So if your friend wants to play and learn about WoD/CofD, they're a great way to do that.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

It occurs to me that it might depend on whether or not your players prefer a more complex, involved setting or a smoother, more polished game system. Both WoD and CoD have their charms, but I think that's the core difference between the universes to me.

If you think that your players would be more interested in the complicated setting, then I'd recommend starting with whichever of Masquerade/Apocalypse/Ascension et al that you think would appeal to them most. Maybe give them an overview of each game and let them decide.

If you think that your players would prefer the smoother system, with a more open, sandbox approach to the setting, then the CoD quickstarts might be the best way to go.

Comment

Working...
                X