What do you think of incorporating Harry Dresden into the World of Darkness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of incorporating Harry Dresden into the World of Darkness?

Or alternatively, adapting the Dresden Files universe to the World of Darkness cosmology? Or would you just make it an alternate history version of the WoD?

Bonus question: what kith does the Breast Fairy belong to? 😊
  • Nicolas Milioni
    • Dec 2014

Ah! Another fan! Harry seems like an Orphan doesn't he,

Comment

Definitely!

Comment

Maybe with Hermetic training?

Comment

• Nicolas Milioni
          • Dec 2014

Yeah,his style is hermetic. With some dreamspeaker spells later

Comment

I think his mentor Ebenezar is close to the Old Faith (Verbenae). What do you think?

Comment

• Black Fox
              • May 2014

While I don't think highly of Jim Butcher's writing, I do think his world building has some good concepts, and I steal anything I think can be useful while doing my best to remove the serial #. In particular, I liked his White Court and Red Court Vampires and made them their own kind of fomori. Neither are called vampires in game, and they lack the numbers of Kindred. But they are still both significant fomori factions that other supernaturals need to be aware of. I find I can use a lot of his other monsters as interesting fomori.

Some of his minor magical organizations make good Sorcerer groups. I like to use mortal magicians as ancillary NPCs in my games, but like to keep their power low. So I get good use out of them. Same thing with some of his good guy hunter groups. He definitely puts a lot of thought into the right kind of flavor text. It elevates his groups far above the generic that too many WoD games seem to become.

I prefer to use his Summer Court and Winter Court terms rather than Seelie and Unseelie in order to have universal terms than ones that are culturally specific. I like some of his other depictions of fairies too and try to include them in the rare times I have a Changeling crossover.

I also think he has a deft touch of how to do crossover right. I don't like the Monster Mash scenarios where ST just throws every monster into the game. But I think Butcher tends to do it well when monsters come into contact with each other, and how they try to avoid each other. It helps that for all the creatures he includes in his novels, the total supernatural population of the city seems to be much less than the WoD standard.

So while I would never translate that world outright or incorporate Dresden into my WoD, I definitely use it for inspiration and idea theft.

Comment

• theoutlander523
                • Mar 2014

I'd never straight up use it for anything other than ideas. They do not mix well.

Check out my Sorcerer 20th homebrew and my update to Highlander: the Gathering for 20th Anniversary edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                  While I don't think highly of Jim Butcher's writing, I do think his world building has some good concepts, and I steal anything I think can be useful while doing my best to remove the serial #. In particular, I liked his White Court and Red Court Vampires and made them their own kind of fomori. Neither are called vampires in game, and they lack the numbers of Kindred. But they are still both significant fomori factions that other supernaturals need to be aware of. I find I can use a lot of his other monsters as interesting fomori.

Some of his minor magical organizations make good Sorcerer groups. I like to use mortal magicians as ancillary NPCs in my games, but like to keep their power low. So I get good use out of them. Same thing with some of his good guy hunter groups. He definitely puts a lot of thought into the right kind of flavor text. It elevates his groups far above the generic that too many WoD games seem to become.

I prefer to use his Summer Court and Winter Court terms rather than Seelie and Unseelie in order to have universal terms than ones that are culturally specific. I like some of his other depictions of fairies too and try to include them in the rare times I have a Changeling crossover.

I also think he has a deft touch of how to do crossover right. I don't like the Monster Mash scenarios where ST just throws every monster into the game. But I think Butcher tends to do it well when monsters come into contact with each other, and how they try to avoid each other. It helps that for all the creatures he includes in his novels, the total supernatural population of the city seems to be much less than the WoD standard.

So while I would never translate that world outright or incorporate Dresden into my WoD, I definitely use it for inspiration and idea theft.
                  Awesome! I totally agree with you.

In my head canon I made the Red Court vampires beings that were infected by a variant form of the Asakku virus from Guide to the Tal’Mahe’Ra. The White Court I just left as their own creature.

Is there any source material on the Black Court? I couldn’t find any.

Comment

Actually, I take it back. I think Ebenezar (Harry’s mentor) would be a Hermetic magus too. He uses a powerful Forces effect to destroy Ortega’s manor in Death Masks.

Comment

• Czernobog
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                      Actually, I take it back. I think Ebenezar (Harry’s mentor) would be a Hermetic magus too. He uses a powerful Forces effect to destroy Ortega’s manor in Death Masks.
                      I mean, there's nothing stopping a Verbena from getting a high rank in Forces - it's not only for Hermetics.

Comment

Good point. I do think Ebenezar makes more sense as a Verbena.

Comment

• kalinara
                          • Mar 2014

Personally, I'd lean toward House Diedne (in a version where they weren't massacred). Magic in Harry Dresden kind of has a default Hermetic feel, even for characters like Ebenezer, IMO. But when you start incorporating the Houses within the Order, then you can account for most of the variations. (I can't see Harry himself as anything but Flambeau, of course.)

Comment

Originally posted by kalinara View Post
                            Personally, I'd lean toward House Diedne (in a version where they weren't massacred). Magic in Harry Dresden kind of has a default Hermetic feel, even for characters like Ebenezer, IMO. But when you start incorporating the Houses within the Order, then you can account for most of the variations. (I can't see Harry himself as anything but Flambeau, of course.)
                            That’s a great idea! Imma do that.

Comment

Making Ebenezar a Diedne magus would totally work.

Comment

Working...