Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does WW design Traits have 10 levels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does WW design Traits have 10 levels?

So this design exists at the beginning, in VtM, to represent elders’ power. But do they really consider it seriously?

I wanted to detail them and found some problems:
    1. Higher powers are (usually) less effective than lower ones.
    2. you can't level a power well if it has too many levels.
    3. The first two are about Powers. This is about Attributes/Abilities: How to describe them, any way? We know level 5 is human’s peak. But what is 6, 7, or 8-10?
    4. IIRC The 1d10 system is basically designed for level 5 traits.

A link:
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...h-has-7-levels

Now I want to find a method to portray extreme great beings like Meths in level 5 scale, and I think Demon and M20 may be a better way.

I want to make a new Hunter game, about the full potential of them. And I think... maybe I can use Lore of Demon, you can use energy like Faith to stretch effects

Comment

The first traits that had 10 levels were Willpower and Humanity.

The intended range of the WoD games was always 1-10, but most traits are 1-5 (or 0-5) because you would add two of them together to get 1-10. Traits that weren't going to be paired with other traits (hence WP and Humanity) were given 10 levels to keep them in the same range. Disciplines were the next logical step because they're not added to anything directly in general (and in fact, VtM 1e had a rules where younger vampires regardless of Generation couldn't have a total of their physical Attribute and linked Discipline over 10; so a recently embraced 6th Gen with Strength 6 couldn't raise Potence above 4). Backgrounds were quick to follow as the Generation chart already made is to there were effectively 0-10 levels of Generation even if PCs could only access 0-5.

Why WW's 6+ powers tend to be poorly designed? Who knows, but they were.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock113 View Post
        3. The first two are about Powers. This is about Attributes/Abilities: How to describe them, any way? We know level 5 is human’s peak. But what is 6, 7, or 8-10?
        We do actually have an answer to this with Strength. THere is a good breakdown somewhere on the forums.

Comment

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ngth-attribute

This thread is a good breakdown of what the Strength Attribute means from 1 dot to 15 dots.

Comment

Mummy also has examples of how superhuman traits for 6, 7, and 8 are like for humans. In fact, Mummy, sorcerer, demon hunter X, and WTA possesed all have normal human traits cap at 8 with magic enhancement, so only Full supernaturals like vampires, werewolves, etc can get to 10.

Werewolf and Wan Kuei also don't actually can their attributes at 10. It's not common, but several NPCs actually have attributes in the 11's and above when in with gifts, war form or using Demon Shintai. So 10 is only a "Cap" for vampires and they surpass it with discipline like potence or fortitude anyway.

Comment

To be fair Mummy 2nd is clear that the effects of their 6+ Attributes are Mummy specific rather then something that "normal" humans or other supernaturals get.

Comment

Originally posted by Up-to-Eleven View Post
                To be fair Mummy 2nd is clear that the effects of their 6+ Attributes are Mummy specific rather then something that "normal" humans or other supernaturals get.
                Yeah, but it's the best measuring stick we've got at the moment. None of the other splats really try to explain what being above peak human would even look like for most traits. What would a person with Appearance 6 look like if 5 is super-model gorgeous? Mummy's explanation is that they'd appear different to whoever was looking at them based on the observers desires.

For that reason, I default to Mummy because it's the best measuring stick we have.

Comment

Working...
                X