Problems in the WoD timeline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems in the WoD timeline

Has anyone ever compiled a list of the problems with the public WoD timeline. Such as the various contradictions or places where the writers simply got things wrong?
    I ask because I am thinking of doing something with the True Brujah, where that is all their fault.

Seeing how it's a "separate reality from our own but darker" they can do whatever they want with the timeline. No time police gonna haul them off to time jail.

Comment

A search around the web for lists of retcons may yield some interesting ideas for Time Hater - uh, I mean True Brujah - involvement as well.

Comment

Different WoD books contradict each other - this is why there are like seven or eight versions of Rasputin in the setting. I was wondering if anyone had a list of such issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
          Seeing how it's a "separate reality from our own but darker" they can do whatever they want with the timeline. No time police gonna haul them off to time jail.

a Separate reality where you can fly anywhere in canada by helecopter in less than an hour. Where Oxford University is iN London.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
            Ironic, considering the setting has actual time police.

Comment

Well, the separate versions of Rasputin were on purpose. They were there to tell you that you can't entirely trust what was written. In fact, if you read the various Rasputins' descriptions carefully, it's obvious some can't be the actual, real Rasputin.

But there are definitely lots of unintentional contradictions between game lines. And a fair amount of intentional contradictions when later writers/developers wanted to piss all over what was previously established.

So canon isn't even canon. Though talking about it can be productive to determine what you want in your own chronicles. Take what you find useful and discard the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheas View Post

Ironic, considering the setting has actual time police.
                The chrononuts?

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                  Different WoD books contradict each other - this is why there are like seven or eight versions of Rasputin in the setting. I was wondering if anyone had a list of such issues.
                  Yes, exactly. Did not some books state that what's written within about the world and it's history is only from the viewpoint of a member of that Clan / kind of being? So there isn't any "truth" at all, but only what members of that society might learn by it's other members.

Ok, with some books even this explanation is a problem, like when deep hidden knowledge was within, which only very few or no-one at all had. Like the whole Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand book, any Noddhist books or knowledge about Tremere's soul etc...

What also caused contradictions were things that got declared "out of canon" in a later revision. Mostly this was done by stating that the old knowledge were only rumors. (like Vicissitude mutating it's users to Souleater NPCs.)

Another explanation which is hinted in Romans and background stories are the (mass) memory altering effects caused by mind disciplines like Dominate through Metusaleh over a very long time. Most other supernatural beings (Mages, Faerie, Wolvis) have their own variants of these..

With True Brujah also Temporis might be used as explanation. If changes done with it were too huge to fit within the same timeline the timelines might multiply.
                  Time Mages had a very nasty Paradoxspirit fixing such cases. It's power was to reverse that the offending Mage got ever born. But Kindred don't suffer Paradox...
                  Last edited by Xithar; 10-04-2020, 02:00 AM. Reason: better translations

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

The chrononuts?
                    I think he means the Technocrats.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                    My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
                    Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Working...
                    X